New release predictions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New release predictions

Default New release predictions

I couldn’t see a thread relating to this, so here’s my own attempt. Apologies for any erroneous guesses. Using some of the leaked photos and the Deluxe rulebook, I’ve assembled a list of ‘likely’ upcoming releases by faction.

Neutral:
    Dreadfort Blackguards (not a great leap of faith, as these have been spoiled as part of the Kickstarter)

Lannister:
    Kingsguard, with Joffrey (minis have been previewed for the individual knights of the Kingsguard, which presents the interesting anomaly of a unit of less than 12 models. I think Joffrey will be an optional attachment because his details are alongside their’s in the deluxe rulebook. Potentially the named knights like Jaime and Barristan could be attachments for other Lannister units too)

The Warrior’s Sons (artists pictures in the deluxe rulebook of well armed members of the Faith Militant)
    Poor Fellows (again design pictures in the deluxe rulebook of presumably a chaff unit, which could share rules with the disposable free folk raiders. Combined with the High Sparrow, Champion of the Faith and Warrior’s Sons this presents the potential for a nicely themed army of Faith Militant)

Stark:
    Tully Cavaliers (potentially not published yet to encourage Outrider purchases, images of the artwork and unit card have been leaked and the artwork and description is present in the deluxe rulebook. These would allow for a nicely themed Tully army and scenarios focussing on the initial stages of the War of the Five Kings)
    Stark Heroes 2 (using artwork clues in the rulebook I would guess at a set including Jojen, Meera - allowing for Crannogmen Tracker attachments - Arya and Syrio, which would provide for some really cool rules options and even NCU potential. Rickon, Shaggydog - possibly on the same base, and Osha. I would assume no Nymeria, due to her being chased away before Robert’s death, matching the absence of Lady from the redesigned Sansa figure)

Night’s Watch:
    Night’s Watch Heroes (going from leaked photos that seem to have been around from before the Kickstarter released, I would guess at Sam, Gilly - both NCUs, Qhorin Halfhand and Coldhands, sadly leaving Benjen still lost in the Lands of Always Winter)
    Night’s Watch Catapult (image spoiled alongside the above figures at AdeptiCon I think)

Free Folk:
    Thenns (a single image from the above Con has been mooted as a Thenn due to the more substantial armour, therefore fitting the description from the books as opposed to the bald cannibals from the TV series)
    Spear Wives (the 3D renders have been spoiled and the design artwork is present in the deluxe rulebook)

Let me know what you think. Am I way off? Is there information out there that confirms or disproves my ideas? I’m a long-time Warhammer player so the lack of rumours and leaks and forum guesses is a source of frustration to me by comparison.

The only thing I’d add is that we know from the Kickstarter that there should be a Neutral Hero box with Bronn and Brienne; a Stark box with Maege and Tully (mounted); and a Lannister box with hostage Jamie and the mounted Mountain.

You’re right. My mistake. I’d forgotten this due to backing the Kickstarter and therefore having the neutral figures. Regarding the Mountain that Rides and hostage Jaime figures. I guess they need a Lannister Heroes box 2. Maybe Kevan Lannister and Amory Lorch will make an appearance too. I’m also hopeful the brave companions and Jaqen will be appearing soon as neutrals.

I was thinking we were due some non- Kickstarter Mercs. I had totally forgotten about the Blackguard!

What I think here:

- Lannisters get three more Units ... But Stark only two so far (Tully Cavaliers and Crannogmen Trackers) (well, Kingsguard is a special thing maybe)
    - Lannisters hopefully get another Clegane-Unit one day to make the Mountain as a commander more worth it (and to mirror Umber´s a bit)

So we have some more information relating to upcoming releases.
    Stark Heroes 2: Arya, Syrio Forel, Rickon, Shaggygog, Jojen and Meera Reed, and what looks to be Osha (I wonder if she can be fielded in a free folk list?).
    Lannister Heroes 2: Joffrey, Ser Barristan Selmy, Ser Jaime Lannister (though there is currently some dispute about this, the leaked miniature photos and deluxe rulebook both suggest its Jaime), 5 other kingsguard. Not sure if they are all going to have their own attachment/commander/NCU stats or be fielded as a unit. Both would be cool.
    Night’s Watch Heroes 1: just speculation here as the package description gives nothing away. Qhorin Halfhand, Donal Noye, Benjen Stark, Ser Denys Mallister or Othel Yarwyk, Ulmer of the Kingswood/Squire Dalbridge and potentially Sam and Gilly (though I can’t see them on the boxart). Some people believe Janos Slynt or Alliser Thorne to be in the set.
    Free Folk Heroes 1: Rattleshirt, Ygritte, Jarl, Styr the Magnar of Thenn, Harma Dogshead, The Weeper. A mixture of box description and guess work.

Night’s Watch Conscripts including a Watch Recruiter attachment or NCU.
    Tully Cavaliers
    Lannister Poor Fellows
    Lannister Warriors Sons
    Free Folk Cave Dweller Savages
    Free Folk Followers of bone

Still no release info for Dreadfort Blackguard

From Michael's podcast, we learn that the Dreadfort Blackguards cost 6, have 3+ defense and they have an "horrific visage" ability (if i understood correctly). Obviously it's going to play on the nerves (morale) of the opposing units.

I wonder what the delay is on the blackguards? Preview images came out at the end of the Kickstarter, alongside pyromancers and greataxes. Rules adaptation and therefore new unit card would be my guess.

I read (or herad in a podcast) somewhere that it had to do with GRRM not liking the unit (maybe the models...). So they had to be reworked. Not quite sure tho. But I can't image that more than half a year delay comes from a new unit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Failix View Post
    I read (or herad in a podcast) somewhere that it had to do with GRRM not liking the unit (maybe the models...). So they had to be reworked. Not quite sure tho. But I can't image that more than half a year delay comes from a new unit card.
    That would imply that they published the renders before GRRM could see it. If he gave the ok to the flayed men, i can't believe that the blackguard were not.

It might just be a marketing issue. They might want to support factions with starter sets over the neutral faction.

The fact that Michael made a list with them on his podcast does hint that it is coming...or that he just likes torturing us.

The Boltons are my favorite army so far so i can't wait for the vanguard infantry to arrive. The lack of medium or heavy infantry really shows in maps with central objectives.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 02-21-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    From Michael's podcast, we learn that the Dreadfort Blackguards cost 6, have 3+ defense and they have an "horrific visage" ability (if i understood correctly). Obviously it's going to play on the nerves (morale) of the opposing units.
    Hi All,

I have just picked up the game last week and loving it so far. Which podcast is this you are talking about?

Michael Shinall’s on PodOmatic entitled SONG CHAT. 30 episodes and counting. Great for tactical advice and list building.

Quote Originally Posted by cornwolf View Post
    Hi All,

I have just picked up the game last week and loving it so far. Which podcast is this you are talking about?
    https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/michaelshinall

This one. He does not give too much spoilers usually, but sometimes there's this slight bit of info.

I own everything but the KS stuff, I don't mind them being exclusives but I would at the very least like alternative models for those characters. I don't really know anyone in my state (IN) who really plays this game so its mainly a house hold setting, so going against other players who might have KS heroes isn't a concern for me, but I would enjoy brienne and bronn simply for display purposes in the future when I buy a case for them one day. Buying the KS items online is like $200 and most of the terrain looks pretty bad imo, the missing characters are all that I would want but I understand why they are exclusive and I can respect that. I would much rather have future factions to push forward to cooler units like dragons or frost spiders. IMO this game needs more balance and neutral factions offer more chance to even the battlefield.

The good news is that none of the units or attachments in the KS are exclusive, just those particular sculpts of said units. So you can look forward to being able to pick them up at some point in the future.

The bad bad news is that they have not been released yet. I was fully expecting the rest of the unmounted ones to be in the respective “Heroes Box 2”’s. And there hasn’t been much support for the Neutral Faction. I’m hoping this changes soon, as I agree that Neutral Units are a great aspect of the game that needs some love. Time to bring on the Frey’s!!
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

Brienne and Bronn will eventually be released that's certain (obviously in Neutral heroes II), but the Neutral faction is in a strange spot: it's been a long time they've released anything new. They might not have a large market audience so it might be $ related. Also, these units present a greater challenge for balance. Every ability they create can interact with the whole suite of rules that already exist. I hope there will be a "wave" of release for the neutral faction...or who knows at a point, a starter set for it?

from a lore standpoint houses like the freys, boltons, and even tyrells work well as neutral units imo, as ther loyalties change like the wind. I could see the tyrells being a baratheon faction, but I would really love to build a lannister tyrell army. I never thought of those two being released in neutral hero box 2 but that makes a lot of sense! I agree with the balance issue, I think the game is in a really odd place at the moment with balance, especially the free folk, and balance should be the main focus. I know thats ironic coming from a guy who brings up dragons and ice spiders and what have you every week, BUT i completely understand how wishy washy the builds could get. Perhaps there could be a rule where certain neutrals can't align with certain factions, random example would be something like the free folk can't have neutrals or whatever, purely spitballing an idea but it seems like on a long enough time line there would have to be some lines in the sand. If we ever get the golden company or iron bank type stuff for example it wouldn't make sense lore wise for them to side with savage cave people and spear wives. With seige weapons and creatures coming into play more balance is going to be more and more on the mind. I used the nights watch seige weapons for example and they completely destroyed the free folk in their current state.

I really want Targaryen by years end. Dragons and Dothraki will be good eye catchers for helping the game grow after the show ends.

Quote Originally Posted by AnorexicShark View Post
    from a lore standpoint houses like the freys, boltons, and even tyrells work well as neutral units imo, as ther loyalties change like the wind. I could see the tyrells being a baratheon faction, but I would really love to build a lannister tyrell army. I never thought of those two being released in neutral hero box 2 but that makes a lot of sense! I agree with the balance issue, I think the game is in a really odd place at the moment with balance, especially the free folk, and balance should be the main focus. I know thats ironic coming from a guy who brings up dragons and ice spiders and what have you every week, BUT i completely understand how wishy washy the builds could get. Perhaps there could be a rule where certain neutrals can't align with certain factions, random example would be something like the free folk can't have neutrals or whatever, purely spitballing an idea but it seems like on a long enough time line there would have to be some lines in the sand. If we ever get the golden company or iron bank type stuff for example it wouldn't make sense lore wise for them to side with savage cave people and spear wives. With seige weapons and creatures coming into play more balance is going to be more and more on the mind. I used the nights watch seige weapons for example and they completely destroyed the free folk in their current state.
    I also thought about Tyrell being fielded as neutrals, but they are far too powerful in the 7 kingdoms. They have plenty of characters to field, and some quite important in the story. The Freys are perfect, though. What army did you destroy with siege weapons (scorpion)? It might have to do with army building more than balance (both the scorpion and free folks are still recent.

played a few games with the nights watch and the free folk, and the siege weapons were the mvp each time so far