gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 32
Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 640 of 940

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

  1. #621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Chris, you’re straight killin it brother. Looks awesome, all elements.
    Thanks Rhett, I'm glad you like it! It still has a ways to go, but I think I've gotten over the hard part, which is just to start

    Quote Originally Posted by Guawol View Post
    Great illusion of 3 dimensionality with this diorama.
    Thanks Guawol!

    Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Your artwork on the landscape is just outstanding. Reflection of the sky on the bike... 3d effects... just wow!!!
    Thank you Graishak, I'm very happy you like it! The reflections need the most work, but the ground work (no pun intended) is there

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    My my gorb, the background really blend smoothly with the rest. You truly transport us with you in your world on this one.
    Thanks Dexter, that is the effect I'm going for, I'm happy it is working for you.

    To be honest, I was just haphazerdly slapping paint onto the background, I had an idea in my head about what I wanted, so I'm very pleased it is not misfiring so far.
    It is my first proper 2d backdrop painting, kinda scary (no features to paint, etc).

  2. #622

    Default

    Really love the effect of your back drop, blends in with the base so smoothly!

  3. #623

    Default

    Amazing work on this new diorama Gorb! You going for SENMM for the bike?

  4. #624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metalasmedium View Post
    Really love the effect of your back drop, blends in with the base so smoothly!
    Thank you very much! I'm glad it is working out, because I had this idea in my head of blending the roughly textured foreground with the smoothly receding background, but once I sat with the
    primed base in my one hand and my paintbrush in the other I couldn't figure out how to start!

    Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Amazing work on this new diorama Gorb! You going for SENMM for the bike?
    Thanks ekipage! I'm very glad you like it!
    Yes, I am aiming to do a very 80s/90s retro chrome-in-the-desert look, inspired by the original 2d work I saw on artstation, mixed in with memories I have of chrome airbrushing from books I devoured
    as a kid, kinda in the style of Hajime Sorayama's fembots.
    http://sorayama.jp (slightly NSFW, if you are sqeemish about naked robots)

    Once I got started I realised I have to do all of the metals like this, even the non-chrome parts of the bike, so I added in some regular NMM too.
    Please be gentle, it is my first time doing (SE)NMM
    ...just kidding, I would appreciate all manner of comments and criticism!!! Let me know what you think.


    This is still very much wip.
    The chrome reflections need smoothing out, I need to add some bursts of white reflections, and the girl needs a lot of work still.

    I am not sure about the bottom (brown) part of the diorama, I might smooth it out and leave it black.
    Also, I am considering turhing her head in the other direction. This might mean resculpting the nec and the hands, but so far I am having trouble finding
    the best orientation for her wrt the background, to illustrate the hovering bike effect. I feel like the shot from her right looks best, but then she is facing away from the viewer...







    PS For what it's worth I think I know why some of the images are a bit wonky: I was using macro mode on my phone to take some of the shots (faster focal distance dropoff) but there seems to be some
    interference between the LED lights and this mode...

  5. #625
    Freak! SaintToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    2,645
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Oh man, bud. You are really putting foot to ass on this one. Though you’re applying very specific techniques, I just think the quality and conceptual reach of this one are going to catapult you onto another level creatively.



  6. #626

    Default

    There's a lot to love about this project! The background is stellar and really sets the mood for this piece. I like the style of painting on the bike a ton too. It is ambitious and immediately sets your bike apart too. I'm glad to hear you're going to work on smoothing out the metal too. I think it will look even better after you've done that (which is saying something because it is already looking great).

    If you'd like some advice, I'd like to see some small rocks on top to break up what is a pretty smooth ground surface. I think some dead grass would be cool too but I like my tufts

    Really awesome work and I look forward to seeing the finished product!

  7. #627

    Default

    Really great project!
    I like the last shot. it feel like an invitation to jump behind her and go for a ride in the distance background.


    Also I'm agree with @Kuriboo, one or two small grass tufts could add some variations on the ground.

    Top notch project!

  8. #628

    Default

    Dudes, thank you all, that is some very kind words and super all-round support:

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Oh man, bud. You are really putting foot to ass on this one. Though you’re applying very specific techniques, I just think the quality and conceptual reach of this one are going to catapult you onto another level creatively.
    Thank you Rhett, this means a lot to me! This was a pretty scary project, but you are right I think when I'm done with this my confidence (if not my technique) will have stepped up a notch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuribo View Post
    There's a lot to love about this project! The background is stellar and really sets the mood for this piece. I like the style of painting on the bike a ton too. It is ambitious and immediately sets your bike apart too. I'm glad to hear you're going to work on smoothing out the metal too. I think it will look even better after you've done that (which is saying something because it is already looking great).

    If you'd like some advice, I'd like to see some small rocks on top to break up what is a pretty smooth ground surface. I think some dead grass would be cool too but I like my tufts

    Really awesome work and I look forward to seeing the finished product!
    Thanks Kuribo, very kind words! Yes, I will take your advice and add some tufts of grass, some small rocks too.
    I'm worried about putting too much general texture (such as sand) on there, because it will be hard to "fade" the sand into the background.
    But some localised detail right next to the bike + girl will work very well, thanks for the suggestion!

    Oh, and yes I will work on that metallic shine until I can see my own reflection in it

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Really great project!
    I like the last shot. it feel like an invitation to jump behind her and go for a ride in the distance background.

    Also I'm agree with @Kuriboo, one or two small grass tufts could add some variations on the ground.

    Top notch project!
    Thanks Dexter, much appreciated! Yeah, positioning this piece has been a headscratcher, I can turn the figure 360 degrees and find angles on all sides that I like, so having her on an open base would have been great, but I love the background too much

  9. #629

    Default

    Hey Chris... your Motobike dio is just stunning!
    I hope you have a special place to put this :-)
    Even if you're saying it's still wip... to me you're close to the finish!
    Last edited by Graishak; 09-30-2020 at 04:05 PM.

  10. #630

    Default

    I don't know if you are still looking for chrome references but this guy is worth checking on Instagram:

    @flameonminiatures

    He makes a mean chrome!

  11. #631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Hey Chris... your Motobike dio is just stunning!
    I hope you have a special place to put this :-)
    Even if you're saying it's still wip... to me you're close to the finish!
    Thanks my friend! Yeah, I've built some plexiglass doors for the ikea bookshelf in my study, so my builds should be well enough protected

    Quote Originally Posted by metalasmedium View Post
    I don't know if you are still looking for chrome references but this guy is worth checking on Instagram:

    @flameonminiatures

    He makes a mean chrome!
    Cheers! Yeah he is one of the references I am using, his stuff is super sharp and on point.
    No way I'm going to reach that level on this project, although one can always dream

    ..

    In the past couple of months, what with some online shopping replacing a lot of our regular shopping, we've had a surplus of boxes of all shapes and sizes.
    I cut out pieces of this using some templates from Miscast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=818uEjtMD6E,
    added a bit of XPS foam and some regular foamboard and a bit of chipboard, lots of sand and some debris made from plaster,
    and built some gaming terrain.

    It is not quite finished, still needs a lot of paint and more weathering, but I think it looks pretty good considering I had all this stuff already and paid like $0 for it.
    There are three buildings, one that forms a U-shape, and two smaller L-shapes. The two L-shaped ones can fit together though and form one piece if needed.
    There are ropes, ladders and crates that allow pieces to climb up and down the structures, with lots of windows and broken walls for firing from cover.

    Building 1:

    Building 2:

    Building 3:

  12. #632

    Default

    I also had a play around with the old Battle for Macragge terrain pieces that have been gathering dust in the back of my shelf for years.
    Since I was in the mood for terrain, and had the PVA, foam, sand and primer out, I thought why not.

    I first modified some of the pieces, for example I added a hinge to the cockpit canopy, and cut a explosion hole in the rear fuselage, then added some batteries, switches and flicerking LEDs for fire effects.
    All the pieces are glued onto foamboard, with the edges of the pieces feathering out.
    The pieces with LEDs got magnetised battery/switch access hatches.

    Everything is primed, still need to paint it up though.





  13. #633

    Default

    Somebody have been busy...
    Everything looks nice. I'm looking forward to see the final result on the maccrage terrains, looks promising.

  14. #634

    Default

    Wish I had 1/4 of the creative license and modeling skills you have- brilliant

  15. #635

    Default

    Your thread is flowing over with Awesome sauce as of late Bud! I absolutely love the girl on the "bike", just so damn cool.

    WIP: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ramblings-spot
    Blog: http://blog.coolminiornot.com/blog.p...6-Flaming-Tiki
    “A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
    Leonardo da Vinci

  16. #636

    Default

    I am always amazed at what ppl (you included) can come up with to make terrain. I just never don't have the eye for it. I like what you are doing with the Macragge terrain pieces as well. I have them on a shelf collecting dust. I painted one piece when I first got my airbrush which was also one of the first pieces I posted about in my WIP. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

  17. #637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Somebody have been busy...
    Everything looks nice. I'm looking forward to see the final result on the maccrage terrains, looks promising.
    Thanks! Yeah, just heaps of ideas lying around coming together at once. When it rains, it pours.

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Wish I had 1/4 of the creative license and modeling skills you have- brilliant
    Haha, thanks BaM. I'll trade you some card board skills for your painting eye. That would be an unfair trade though, I'd get the better deal!

    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Tiki View Post
    Your thread is flowing over with Awesome sauce as of late Bud! I absolutely love the girl on the "bike", just so damn cool.
    Thank you very much Tiki. I'm glad you like her. I've had to modify her pose a bit, and in the process remove and add some greenstuff so she is looking a bit beat up right now.
    Gotta get stuck in and fix it up all the way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guawol View Post
    I am always amazed at what ppl (you included) can come up with to make terrain. I just never don't have the eye for it. I like what you are doing with the Macragge terrain pieces as well. I have them on a shelf collecting dust. I painted one piece when I first got my airbrush which was also one of the first pieces I posted about in my WIP. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
    Thanks Guawol! I went to your thread and checked that macragge peace out, it looks great! I'm aiming for something very similar. I like the idea of painting crashed vehicle terrain: You get to have all the fun of painting them without the stress
    As for the buildings, it is just a matter of starting with a semi decent template and then destroying it. Lots of texture, some recognizable shapes, and you have it.
    My buildings look ok, but I watch a lot of terrain building tuts on youtube (Eric's hobby workshop is my favourite, since he uses a lot of the same materials as I do).
    Try it, it's fun.

  18. #638

    Default

    A while ago I was working on a bust of a girl wearing some kind of power armor, mostly made out of sculpey.
    Once done, I primed her with spray primer, which turned out to be a mistake because sculpey does not like spray primer, not one little bit.
    So I basically put all the parts of the bust in a yoghurt container and put it on the shelf, feeling pretty upset with myself.

    I recently dug her up again, and thought I'd give it another go, and modify the armor (which I was never really that happy with) to look more
    Sister-of-Battle-like. I wound up making an inquisitor symbol for the modified front bit of the armor, making extra shoulder pads with fluer de lis trim,
    and got rid of the helmet. The helmet would have been cool, but I could never pose it just right, and it it just looked off.

    So, without further ado, I present my Sister of Battle bust. Let me know what you think!





    Don't ask me where she got that armor, or what the rest of the armor would conceivably look like. I'm thinking the SOB Terminator armor equivalent, or something.
    Anyways, here is the entire thing, on the fluer de lis base:


  19. #639

    Default

    Wow some sculpting skills here! I really like what you have done armor and head alike, my only criticism is that for me i find the head to be a little bit to small for that armor. Overall a fantastic sculpt!!

  20. #640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metalasmedium View Post
    Wow some sculpting skills here! I really like what you have done armor and head alike, my only criticism is that for me i find the head to be a little bit to small for that armor. Overall a fantastic sculpt!!
    Thank you very much! The armor was the hard part, making hard surfaces out of sculpey is never easy, doubly so when it has to be symmetrical.

    And yes, I know what you mean with the small head - the original design had much more of a mech feel to it rather than a suit of armor.
    However, I kinda did it on purpose once I started converting her to a Battle Sister, given that most artwork depicting 40k stuff makes the bodies outsized compared with the heads.

    Take for example this piece by Karl Kopinsky: https://images.app.goo.gl/jxJoAzfqKFRmowGd9

    The shoulders are way wider than they should be, and even with the armor, much bulkier compared with the head.
    And this bust suggests some kind of Terminator-like power armour, as opposed to the regular SoB armor.


    tl;dr: the head is small, because I specifically wanted to make the armor look big and bulky

    She is up for voting here:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/451593
    https://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/27937

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->