gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 42
Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Your patience and attention to detail continue to amaze me.

Default A riveting update

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Your patience and attention to detail continue to amaze me.
    Thanks KruleBear, much appreciated!

So, after spending a countless number of evenings in a state of absolute mindlessness, placing little dot after little dot all over the tank, the riveting is almost complete.
    I say almost, because obviously after taking the photos I realised there are still a couple left to do.

I didn't follow the Patoroch template's riveting slavishly, and after having looked at my reference photos again, I realise that the Patoroch template has way too many rivets
    But I decided to keep them as they are, since it just gives so much lovely texture to the model.

The model is also still in a sub-assembly stage, since I need to (at least) prime and basecoat parts such as the undercarriage before gluing them in place.

It is about 95% finished at this stage. I am still considering sculpting a little commander figure (upper torso only, of course) who will be sticking his head out of the top hatch.
    Then I'll layer on some primer and a shaded basecoat. Promise lol. I can't wait to see it come together.

These hours were well invested. The final product is just stunning. Wonderful work my friend!
    Even knowing it is not yet finalized it looks ready :-)
    Last edited by Graishak; 05-17-2021 at 06:36 PM.

This is amazing. How many hours did you invest in the rivets? I did something like this in my youth, when I built a 1/4 scale R/C P51 mustang, and decided to use head pins for the rivets, I must have put a thousand of those, on it. But then I was young and foolish...

But seriously, this looks awesome. Love how you repurposed a piece of a zip tie for your 2 tank straps. Can't wait to see it finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    These hours were well invested. The final product is just stunning. Wonderful work my friend!
    Even knowing it is not yet finalized it looks ready :-)
    Thank you so much Graishak! Yeah I can't look at it without making tank sounds

Quote Originally Posted by Dudemeister View Post
    This is amazing. How many hours did you invest in the rivets? I did something like this in my youth, when I built a 1/4 scale R/C P51 mustang, and decided to use head pins for the rivets, I must have put a thousand of those, on it. But then I was young and foolish...

But seriously, this looks awesome. Love how you repurposed a piece of a zip tie for your 2 tank straps. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like it!

Geez, pins for rivets... I complain, but it didn't really take that long. I did it probably over 4 evenings, amongst other things. I used a 1/16th hole punch to make the rivets out of my favourite building material, breakfast cereal box.
    Then fashioned a little helping hand from a toothpick with some bluetack stuck on the end. And made a watered-down PVA dropper bottle with a chopped needle (I'm diabetic, so lots of those around).
    Then it's just a matter of dropping a glue spot, and tacking on a rivet, wash rinse repeat. Not too bad.

oh and zip ties are awesome

In between all this, and to relieve some of that rivet-zen, I built a little computer console destination marker thingy using some of my assortment of diy computer greeblies.
    I went for a matrix-y look with multiple monitors framing a keyboard, hanging from a central column with lots of hanging wires and cables all around.

The central column is from a spray bottle, there are some greeblies from a printer stuck to it (including the "arm" holding the keyboard).
    Most of the cabling are pieces of lead-free solder stuck through short pieces of cotton bud plastic, but there are some ribbed cables of greenstuff too.
    The entire thing is suspended over a 25mm base using a thicker piece of aluminium armature wire, but I tried my best to make it look as if the wire is hanging from the column and draped over the "floor", to give
    the console the appearance of being suspended from the ceiling.

Here are some wip construction pics:

Here it is, all primed up:

And here is a mood-shot, trying to convey the suspended-from-ceiling idea:

Now I guess it needs a nicely weathered paint job, with some green retro digital rain effects on the screens

So I've been thinking about what color scheme / army my Stormblade belongs to, and initially I thought I'd go for a DKOK unit.
    I began sculpting a tank commander to sit in the open top-hatch, starting with the usual greenstuff-over-a-wire-armature, bulked out with a mixture of fimo / sculpey:

After the bulk was done, I started adding detail using another layer of greenstuff + milliput over top:

The commander has binoculars in his left hand, and his right cradling a lasgun on his shoulder.
    The lasgun is made with different guages of wire, the usual cotton swab plastic rod, some paper, greenstuff and milliput:

I'm thinking of converting him to a Cadian commander though, that gasmask looks a bit blah.

sweet work on all your recent stuff. I really like the Death Corps of Krieg...er Cadian guy you sculpted. Question for you, in your paper craft stuff have you ever run across 28mm scale school furniture? I want to make the stuff myself for a dio and thought you might know a source. Otherwise I will probably try to make it from balsa or popsicle sticks.

Thanks ekipage! Unofortunately no; I don't have a source for any furniture (or anything other than tanks ) in 28mm.
    You'll just have to scratchbuild. Balsa is your friend I reckon, especially for stuff like furniture. All of the hobby/craft stores around here have various selections of square balsa cuts.
    I find popsicle sticks very hard to cut, but there are some coffee stirrers that are better suited to scale and they cut easier.

You can of course go out and buy this stuff, etsy is overflowing with it for example. But scratchbuilding is more fun (at least to me).

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Finished up the commander, I think I will stick to him, he's grown on me:

And here he is on the now-primed tank:

Now the obsessive-compulsive side of my brain will spend a day or so nitpicking, and then I think I can start laying down basecoats, yay!

Here is the completed primed thing. Next up, painting time...

Stunning construction work my friend. I'm excited to see you putting paint on it :-) Gogo gadgetto brushes!!!

Awesome. Can’t wait to see it painted up.

Sweet job on this tank! Got a question for you. Do you add anything to the paper before priming so the paint doesn't just soak into and ruin the cardboard? Thinking of trying to make some scenery out of paper/cardboard and see how that looks, then move on to plasticard if that doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Sweet job on this tank! Got a question for you. Do you add anything to the paper before priming so the paint doesn't just soak into and ruin the cardboard? Thinking of trying to make some scenery out of paper/cardboard and see how that looks, then move on to plasticard if that doesn't work.
    Thanks ekipage!

Yes, I coat the exposed paper & card with a product called MinWax Wood Hardener. It soaks in and coats the paper kinda like a resin would. Then I prime the model as usual, and thereafter the paint stays in the surface like on a plastic model. It prevents the paper from deforming too. It gives the paper more strength, and doesn't seem to harm any plastic/resin bits that I also use on the model, so I basically goop it all over.

The fumes from the wood hardener are pretty nasty, so using a voc mask / doing it outside is necessary.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Stunning construction work my friend. I'm excited to see you putting paint on it :-) Gogo gadgetto brushes!!!
    Thank you my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Awesome. Can’t wait to see it painted up.
    Thank you, I appreciate it!

I started with the paint job, will add some photos tomorrow.

Started laying on some base colors. Aiming for a blue/gray gradient, which should go well with a red rust and a light brown dust mix later.
    I am using mainly Golden high flow acrylic Phthalo Blue, mixed with FW White and Black (to get the right value) and a bit of FW Payne's gray to make it a bit colder.
    The mix of the paint + ink makes it easy enough to airbursh, although I do add a bit of medium + flow improver especially with the lighter shade to knock down the coverage a bit.

Gorb, this is some expert craftsmanship here mate! Watching you build this tank has been inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by mousekiller View Post
    Gorb, this is some expert craftsmanship here mate! Watching you build this tank has been inspiring.
    Thank you mousekiller, much appreciated!

I've been experimenting with the colorscheme I've started on. First up is jus the general weathering.
    To test out what works and what won't, I built a little Cube of Learning:

I like it so far. On the tank itself the brighter areas need to be toned down a bit, and perhaps a filter applied, before I start doing the chipping and scratching, otherwise the weathering starts to disappear in the lighter areas.
    But other than that I think it is heading in the direction I want it to go.

Mate, the level of meticulous detail you have put into this tank is simply astounding. It looks amazing.