gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 9
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Some really nice touches on this gorb....can actually see you developing your skills as this gradually comes to fruition.....interested to see this finished and where you go from here....

I'm really impressed with your talent in building/sculting. Each new project is better than the previous one. keep ti going!

Thanks Dexter! Comments like yours keep me going

Cheers Hairster! I'm chuffed that you consider me to be improving, that is great to hear!

Thanks Khavor, I'm happy about the rear now too, it has been bugging me for ages. But I think I have it nailed down now.
    I'm currently rounding out the shape, smoothing rough edges, filling in gaps, etc. It is time consuming, since I need to bake these small changes in quite frequently to keep myself from destroying them when starting work on other parts.

I got a chance to spend some quality time with the airbrush on the Fire Raptor.
    The previous highlights bugged me, I thought they were too *bright* red, instead of a *brighter* red, and that they didn't match the base coat.
    So I mixed up a 1:2 ratio of AP Pure Red and Wazdakka Red, and blended over the highlights. I also changed the shape of the top hull's highlights to be more of a center-highlight than a pure panel modulation. On the bottom of the model I did the same, except I darkened the base color of Wazdakka Red using a 1:2 mixture of Angel Green and Wazdakka Red. This gives the bottom dark areas a grungier dirtier look, which I like.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Holy moly shioli!!! How do you do it!!!! Your brilliant !!! Pure genius!!!

That Raptor is looking sweeeeet (yeah, it needed the extra "e's" it's that sweet)

Thanks ekipage, BaM, your awesome support is much appreciated

Had a quiet night last night, no compressor going, spent some time detailing panzer girl.
    There may not be many obvious changes going in, mostly I am filling gaps between the separate parts, filling cracks that may appear
    as I work on the sculpt (sculpey is only that strong), making sure the parts fit together easily and tightly enough for dry fitting, etc.

I finished the work on the rear of the model, I think that is good enough for now. I might go in later and add a bit of extra detail around the top...

Oh, and I'm going to take khavor's suggestion of adding a bit more detail to the girl's hair, don't want to neglect her and only detail the armor...

Here she is with the visor fitted. Keep in mind the "production" model will have a clear visor.

Amazing! After putting some colour onto the Raptor noone could ever imagine that this one was build of Fiberboard.
    Again compliments for your engineering!!!

Both projects look great. And Graishak is certainly right. A first pass of paint and that thing looks like it came from GW. Or maybe Forge World!

Thanks Graishak & St Toad, you flatter me. Someone on therpf.com also said I should go work for ForgeWorld. In my deepest sweetest dreams, haha

I got the airbrush out again, and did a quick job of darkening the dark areas on the upper body of the Raptor. I thought it needed a bit more contrast.
    Then I started some paint chip weathering, using a torn sponge.

First, a test run on Testcube, using bright orange for the chip edges, a dark stone for the exposed layer, and gun metal for the exposed metal.

Satisfied, I continued on to the model, using the same bright orange on the hupper hull, and a bright red on the lower hull (given that it has a much darker tone).
    I did the entire model with the sponge, then switched to a brush to do a ragged edge highlight.
    This took forever, so I decided to jump ahead and finish one area using the dark stone + gun metal, so I could get a feel for what the entire model will look like:

Some closeups of the flaperon and vtol fan:

Cautiously happy so far...

Some more surgery

I wasn't really happy with the lower section of Panzer Girl's amour. This is the lower undetailed section of the bust, but still it felt too bulky and in-your-face.
    So out came the saw for another round of reconstructive loBOTTOMy.

After a bit of gap filling, this is the result. IMHO much better.

I've also decided that the shoulders need to be tilted back a bit, otherwise they feel too rounded. This has the added bonus of showing off more of the mechanical details on the front.

On another project, hopefully a quicker one: my 7yo daughter loves a certain superhero. Can you guess which one?

Great willingness to observe and adjust your work gorb, looks far less rigid after the changes....excellent work.

​I agree, it looks more like she’s wearing it and less like she’s riding in it. More articulation. A subtle but marked change for the better.
    Last edited by SaintToad; 07-12-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Nice changes to the Panzer Girl! It does look better with those changes.
    Oh, my guess: Silver Surfer...no wait, the Tick! or maybe Die Fledermaus

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Great willingness to observe and adjust your work gorb, looks far less rigid after the changes....excellent work.
    Thank you Hairster!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    ​I agree, it looks more like she’s wearing it and less like she’s riding in it. More articulation. A subtle but marked change for the better.
    Cheers StToad! Yup, the bottom looked a bit fat. I'm going to try adding another bit of detail below the middle back that should make it look even better.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Nice changes to the Panzer Girl! It does look better with those changes.
    Oh, my guess: Silver Surfer...no wait, the Tick! or maybe Die Fledermaus
    Thanks ekipage! Nice try but no cigar. Next guess?

That Raptor is looking great, Gorb! I don't have a lot of experience painting vehicles so I'm always impressed by the skills of others who do. Of course, all of the other sculpting work is exceptional as always! It is neat seeing each project develop.

Me thinks Hulk has been skipping leg day...

Excellent work on the Raptor’s weathering. It is looking very realistic.

It is impressive how you are not afraid to chop up something you have spent a lot of time on in an attempt to make it even awesommer (is that a word )

Quote Originally Posted by Kuribo View Post
    That Raptor is looking great, Gorb! I don't have a lot of experience painting vehicles so I'm always impressed by the skills of others who do. Of course, all of the other sculpting work is exceptional as always! It is neat seeing each project develop.
    Thank you kindly Kuribo! To be honest I don't have much experience painting armor either, so this is a bit of a challenge.
    It is easier when I get encouragement from all of you though

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Me thinks Hulk has been skipping leg day...

Excellent work on the Raptor’s weathering. It is looking very realistic.

It is impressive how you are not afraid to chop up something you have spent a lot of time on in an attempt to make it even awesommer (is that a word )
    Cheers KruleBear, much appreciated!

Yes, the big green guy did a bit of shoulders+arms+chest first. Leg day is still coming

As for chopping up a piece of work, as long as I have the time I don't think twice about it. If it looks wrong, it looks wrong, so I don't feel like I'm
    risking the model - I don't need an undo button because I'm not taking a risk.

I've been adding more weathering to the Raptor, with some scratches / chips in the direction of travel (ie. front to back). These look like chips from flying through debris / ground fire to me, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Comments appreciated!

Now THIIIIIS thread just gets better and better!!!! The weathering is on the top tier !!! And then someone took a fireman’s ladder and went even higher!!!!’ So now it’s top tier plus top tier . To think another artist with a gorgeous technical routine that has the surface of a tiny vehicle actually look weathered ,beaten, broken ,battered and literally destroyed by the atmosphere upon reentty !!!!

Really nice job on weathering the Stormbird. Might I suggest a full picture of it to see it all at once as I am guessing it will look even nicer seeing the whole craft with the effects more than just the close ups of sections.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Now THIIIIIS thread just gets better and better!!!! The weathering is on the top tier !!! And then someone took a fireman’s ladder and went even higher!!!!’ So now it’s top tier plus top tier . To think another artist with a gorgeous technical routine that has the surface of a tiny vehicle actually look weathered ,beaten, broken ,battered and literally destroyed by the atmosphere upon reentty !!!!
    Ha! Thanks BaM.
    That ladder feels quite shaky now, I hope I don't fall off

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Really nice job on weathering the Stormbird. Might I suggest a full picture of it to see it all at once as I am guessing it will look even nicer seeing the whole craft with the effects more than just the close ups of sections.
    Cheers ekipage! Much appreciated. Here are some more pictures:

Keep in mind, once the underside is also chipped I'll be painting some insignias and logos over all this, masked so they also look chipped, then washes and other weathering effects. So this is just a step along a winding path, not sure that the end effect will look like what I have in mind.