gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 24
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Zoff View Post
    Hi Gorb, I drifted away from CMoN last April, not long after you started the Fire Raptor, so on coming back now and getting that sudden 'finished article reveal' is just jaw dropping!! I know I'm a couple of weeks behind in celebrating your achievement but it's never too late to praise an absolutely stunning success. Those last on the bench shots look so real and have such 'presence' that I half expected a shot showing the damage from the bench collapsing under several hundred (thousand?) tons of armoured behemoth! Confess I made a b-line straight to the finished Raptor but I'll certainly be looking your entire thread... you are a true artist sir!
    Why thanks Doc, that is an extremely nice thing for you to say! I am honored, and I am glad you enjoy the project as much as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Oh yeah! The next scratch built project. Looking forward to see this growing!
    Ha, this thing is tiny, it looks like a little baby next to the Land Raider I'm looking forward to adding the guns!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    nice an Alpha Legion vehicle!
    Yeah apparently this is a 30k vehicle, but of course you know I am going to bastardize it into a Blood Raven hack job

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    And just like that, you started your own mini factory of imperium vehicules... The emperor must be proud!

This new project looks really nice, I'm looking forward to see how it'll go.
    Thanks Dexter! I can't take full credit for it - this is based off another Eli Patoroch paper model - he is the true manufactorum here.
    The guy has a paper template for almost every single GW model under the sun. Check him out if you aren't scared of papercuts

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    its great to see some colour on the dreadnaught dio. your off to great strart on the tank. looking forward to seeing that project unfold
    Yeah, it has been a long time coming! I'm taking your sage advice and trying not to hold back and dive straight in to the paint job!
    Thanks!

And lastly thanks again to everyone who voted on the Fire Raptor, I am getting some awesome comments there and I appreciate every single one of them!
    You guys are great

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post

Yeah, it has been a long time coming! I'm taking your sage advice and trying not to hold back and dive straight in to the paint job!
    Thanks!

cool, that's the stuff!!
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

My Instagram - where I post pictures every now and again https://www.instagram.com/coyotepaints/

Got some more work done on the Sabre Strike tank. I have a serious cold right now, not feeling much like painting.
    The thoughtless application of knife to paper is much better suited to getting my mind off of the coughing and sneezing

I opened the side panels on the wheel wells and added wood hardener to the surfaces and wheels, then covered them in black primer,
    and then glued the sides back on and added the tracks. This is so there won't be any white paper peeking out at me after the thing is done!

Started working on the missile launchers. This one is facing the wrong way lol but they are not glued down yet so easily fixed.

The front wheel hubs

Top view showing the finished missile launchers. All facing the right way now! And the start of the top hatch and mounted bolter.

More missile launcher shots.

Side view of bolter. This needs more bits and bobs to make it look detailed - the details on there now is just printed out from the paper template and obviously won't make it past the primer. Ditto for all the rivets over the surface of the tank: I glue short pieces of cut plastic wherever they are marked, so that there is some texture once the primer goes on.

In the last image especially you'll see how I glue stuff: mostly I use PVA or Tacky glue to fix things, since it is easier to cut & repair things afterwards, and not
    as brittle as CA glue. But I'll "tack" little drops of CA glue onto corners and weaker spots. The combination of CA and PVA is kinda like steel re-enforcing concrete - just makes for a much easier gluing experience in my opinion.

Looking good, sorry to hear about the cold though! What are the treads made out of? They look like plastic, but can't place it with those raised areas

The Sabre strike tank looks especially cool! Can the treads actually move?

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun."

- Zap Rowsdower

its looking grand, really nice work.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

My Instagram - where I post pictures every now and again https://www.instagram.com/coyotepaints/

Astonishing work as always.
    Do you plan to have some parts removable as you did for the raptor?

Incredible pace in which you're building this up!
    How do you ensure not to loose the nice freehand Hydra on the tank during priming process?

Looking good, sorry to hear about the cold though! What are the treads made out of? They look like plastic, but can't place it with those raised areas
    Thanks eki, I'm feeling a bit better but still on antibiotics. Work has picked up quite a bit, so I haven't touched the project in a couple of days
    The treads are cast resin, that's why they look plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Rowwwsdower View Post
    The Sabre strike tank looks especially cool! Can the treads actually move?
    Thanks Rowwwsdower! No, unfortunately not. To do that I'd have to drill each and every track link, which is possible but not very practical.
    Also, right now I have three links per join, and to have the treads stable I'd have to have at least 5 links (ie. 2 on one tread and 3 on the other).
    Lining up the holes becomes a massive pain in the @ss, so I'd probably have to build a jig for that. See, and now you've got me thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    its looking grand, really nice work.
    Thanks Coyotebreaks!

Astonishing work as always.
    Do you plan to have some parts removable as you did for the raptor?
    Cheers Dexter, much appreciated! No I'm doing this as quick as I can, trying to stay as close as possible to the template and only embellishing stuff that I think requires it, ie. applying the 80/20 rule. The template for this thing is awesome already, so not much extra needed.

The Raptor template on the other hand... Let's be generous and call it a nice starting point.
    But to be fair to the original author, the Raptor design is much less of a boxy shape than a Sabre Strike or a Land Raider.

Incredible pace in which you're building this up!
    How do you ensure not to loose the nice freehand Hydra on the tank during priming process?
    Thank you Graishak! The Hydra is from the template. The template actually comes with a bunch of schemes already, from what I can tell the Alpha legion, a grey wolves, and some other thing I'm not familiar with. But I am going with the Blood Raven chapter as usual, so all this will (unfortunately, for some) be covered up

Definitely want to try one of these builds sometime...awesome as always

These scratch builds are just incredible, id like to state the obvious which is you are extremely talented and every thing looks absolutely A++++. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Definitely want to try one of these builds sometime...awesome as always
    Thank you kindly Hairster!

Quote Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
    These scratch builds are just incredible, id like to state the obvious which is you are extremely talented and every thing looks absolutely A++++. Keep it up.
    Thanks Clouds, very kind of you!

I've been off painting & modeling for a bit: we have an annual international trade show every April, and work starts to get fairly rough with deadlines this time of year, which meant that for the last couple of weeks I had to work long hours.
    Of course, this has all been cancelled now, and along with schools closing and the general stay-at-home thing I've been spending a lot of time with my wife & kids.

Here are some updates though: the Sabre Strike tank is finished and primed, and looking very cute next to my Land Raider. Still have to figure out the paint job I want to put on it; it will be a Blood Raven scheme, even
    though this is a 30k model - let's just say the Ravens procured it from... someone else. As they are known to do

Here is the finished model. You can see the various bits of plastic tubing, electrical wire, drink straws, etc. amongst the paper/card construction

Here it is next to my Land Raider, for scale:

And here is the primed unit.

Thanks for stopping by, and please stay healthy & safe!

Tank is looking sweet Gorb. If I wasn't afraid I would cut a finger off, I would try making one of those

Holy cannoli !!!!!!!!! Holy shit!!! Sickness!!! Wicked sickness!!!

Very nice job! Can't wait to see the Hydra returning :-)

Ditto. This looks awesome. You can’t tell it is a paper scratch built with primer on it.

I’d imagine it takes some serious skills to make a paper model look good like you have. I’ve always wanted to try a paper kit but never had the confidence. I already only have 9 and a bit fingers and can’t afford to lose more. Even when I do have working tracks I usually fix them in place so moving parts don’t destroy my paint job. It took me weeks once to drill out 200 odd track links and glue the track pins in place using a pin and superglue....then decided to glue them stationary because of the previous reason.
    Last edited by bullfrog; 03-28-2020 at 02:49 AM.

Another sick creations from the engineer of smaller things!!!

Simply amazing. Can't tell it's a paper model once primed, really bluffing.

Tank is looking sweet Gorb. If I wasn't afraid I would cut a finger off, I would try making one of those
    Thank you ekipage! I would really encourage you to try it. If you use index card (which is just slightly thicker than regular printer paper) and cardboard from cereal boxes, there is really no heavy cutting necessary, and as long as you keep your blade sharp you don't have to press hard to get good cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Holy cannoli !!!!!!!!! Holy shit!!! Sickness!!! Wicked sickness!!!
    Thanks BaM, you make me laugh

Very nice job! Can't wait to see the Hydra returning :-)
    Thanks Graishak, appreciate it! However as I mentioned before, this will be another Blood Raven wargear. The Hydra was from the template, so I guess I could do it that way?
    But what are we if not army builders...

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Ditto. This looks awesome. You can’t tell it is a paper scratch built with primer on it.
    Thanks KruleBear! Yeah, I love the primer step. It just transforms this cobbled-together thing into something that looks like it has purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    I’d imagine it takes some serious skills to make a paper model look good like you have. I’ve always wanted to try a paper kit but never had the confidence. I already only have 9 and a bit fingers and can’t afford to lose more. Even when I do have working tracks I usually fix them in place so moving parts don’t destroy my paint job. It took me weeks once to drill out 200 odd track links and glue the track pins in place using a pin and superglue....then decided to glue them stationary because of the previous reason.
    Thank you bullfrog! I would say skill is necessary, although patience is much more important. And like in painting, you have to play the long game and trust that it will look good once primed, even if it right now just looks like odd bits of paper and plastic stuck together with superglue

As to the danger of cutting paper, I can see your point. I guess I'd be much more cautious if I had some digits missing too. That said (like I said to ekipage above), as long as you use thinner card, and use a sharp blade, you are never really endangering your digits. It is definitely not as dangerous as wood carving! I stay very far away from that...

You are much more courageous than me if you drilled out 200 track links!!! I'd tear my hear out after the first 5. And my tracks don't move either. Mostly because I don't have the courage to pin them, but also because the planning required to make them all fit properly around the hubs and connect back up will give me nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Another sick creations from the engineer of smaller things!!!
    Cheers BaM, much appreciated!

Simply amazing. Can't tell it's a paper model once primed, really bluffing.
    Thanks Dexter! Yeah, I get a kick out of priming, it is like magic!