gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 18
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Ide add a faint glow with a glint
    magnifycent work though gorby !!!! Truly
    Thanks BaM, glad you like it! Will keep the glow in mind, given the brushed metal and the distance from the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallfa View Post
    Haha yeah, constrat is one of the essential key I guess, that's something I discovered in this place 5 years ago (and still need to learn ><).
    In any case, I'm very curious to see how you're going to handle this project. keep up your good work mate !
    Thanks Kallfa!

Quote Originally Posted by Sik Willy View Post
    Man I’ve missed a lot here... you e been busy dude!! The techpriest is AWESOME!! Probably my favorite work of yours yet that I’ve seen. Amazing job man!! Hairster said it right, garage build grimdark king!!

for the grey knight, looking great so far. Here’s my .02 for your OSL attempt. Because of the work on the base, it reads so that’s good and #1. Now the refinement, and you’re saying you want to see it in the armor so keep in mind your shapes and how light would reflect, it’s a metallic surface so apply NMM principles here when painting it in, meaning the leg for instance is basically a cylinder so the light reflection will be linear and vertical (parallel to the outermost point on the cylinder)- that’s for your glint, because it’s metallic you want it kinda concentrated. You can blend out a little overflow to taste. 2. Keep in mind your distance, the light is going to act like an imaginary sphere, so if the light stops at a point on the ground before it hits the mini, it’s not really gonna show up on the body, so make sure everything’s proportionate. Metallics can get a little tricky here since they’re more reflective, and it’s hard for me to say exactly what to do so just go by feel, see what looks right. Maybe just add a little color to match the glow. Also, ever notice how metallic object actually reflect the color of the light source? Apply that here as well. For your application since you’re going true metallic, paint in the lighting effect with reflective silvers and glaze over with the blue. Don’t try it with white and greys and glaze, you’ll lose the metallic affect and it’ll look waaaay weird. The glaze will dull down the shine anyway, unless you use gloss or inks. I’d try to hit it with a true metallic on the final step to keep the shine. I hope that’s coherent enough and helps. Keep trucking dude!! You’re doing awesome!!
    Thanks for the kind words Sik, and for stopping by and leaving such a detailed and helpful comment!
    I'm still digesting all of what you said; so far the idea of painting the highlight with shaded metallics is awesome, it solves the problem of having the reflection look matte next to the rest of the shiny metal parts!!! Such a simple idea!
    Also the reminder of how light reflects from a cylinder: However I'm not entirely sure the light will reflect the same way as a directional light (say the sun) would, given that the sword is rather like a bunch of point lights strung together. I'll have to research this a bit...
    As for the distance yes I agree, the metallic will reflect the light better from further away, so I don't think it would be too far fetched to have the glow on the ground stop short but still have parts of the metal reflecting...
    Thanks again, you've unblocked my brain fog

Just wanted to stop by and appreciate the work you did
    on the Techpriest. The basing is lovely and the dio looks
    outstanding.

Did you load it yet to your gallery?
    More than happy to leave a 10 for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Just wanted to stop by and appreciate the work you did
    on the Techpriest. The basing is lovely and the dio looks
    outstanding.

Did you load it yet to your gallery?
    More than happy to leave a 10 for this.
    Thank you so much Graishak! Really appreciate it, especially regarding the 10

I'll probably put it in my gallery eventually; cmon's gallery isn't a very welcoming place, given that people can just vote whatever they want without leaving any comment as to *why* they do. As in, I don't care if Jack leaves me a 2, as long as Jack can tell me it's because he doesn't like the shade of pink I used
    Other galleries (for example instagram, putty&paint and artstation) can be more inviting of actual interaction and feedback, which is what I'm after.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    This techpriest looks insane!
    Thank you Dexter, much appreciated! I like him very much too, he came out quite nice in the end.

--

I know I've been saying I have to clear out some backlogged paintjobs before I start modelling again, but the brain freeze I had (regarding the reflections on the grey knight's armor) made me start modelling out of sheer frustration

This is a little diorama that's been floating around in my head for a bit. It's not particularly unique, there are tonnes of variations on this theme out there already. This time I am doing some proper kitbashing though, only modelling the base from scratch and using a terminator and a genestealer from some leftovers I have. There is a fair bit of modifications though.

Here is a sneak peak, I'll put up some more photos when I'm ready to start priming...

This diorama starts good.
    I like how the terminator struggle for his life.
    Looking forward to see your progress on that one.

It’s looking very dynamic.

And don’t fight the modeling muse!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post

It’s looking very dynamic.

And don’t fight the modeling muse!
    Thanks Saint Toad! I know right? It's useless fighting the muse
    I am aiming for this to be very much dynamic, with lots of things hanging in the air...

This diorama starts good.
    I like how the terminator struggle for his life.
    Looking forward to see your progress on that one.
    Thanks Dex! Yeah this is definitely not going to be an easy fight for the SM, he starts off on the back foot

Here are some shots of what I did yesterday: the marine now has a green-stuff sculpted face, and the posing of the two models is done.
    I started griming up the space hulk corridor in which they fight to give it some texture.

I have to let this dry for a bit before cleaning up some of the grime again, so tonight I will get a crack at painting that reflected powersword on the grey knight. Wish me luck!

The base is fantastic.
    I also have an idea for a space marine scene growing up in my mind for weeks, not as big as this one, but with some challenge too. I need to draw it before I forget about it as I still have other projects to finish before I can start wokring on it. But this project of yours is quite inspiring.

The base is fantastic.
    I also have an idea for a space marine scene growing up in my mind for weeks, not as big as this one, but with some challenge too. I need to draw it before I forget about it as I still have other projects to finish before I can start wokring on it. But this project of yours is quite inspiring.
    Thank you Dexter! I look forward to what seeing that idea of yours.
    I draw my concepts pretty fanatically too, it helps me with figuring out the 3d jigsaw puzzle.

--

I spent a bit of time last night on the grey knight's powersword reflection, trying to address all the kind C&C I got from you wonderful people:

First I stretched the glow on the ground a bit, also darkening the area where the glow blends into the soil. I think that gives the area more contrast and more pop (thanks @Kallfa and @Rowwwsdower!).

Next I tried to envision what @SikWilly and @Rowwwsdower (thanks!) mentioned, which was about what the reflection would actually look like. To me, the boot had a nice spherical shape, and spheres are the easiest, so I painted a fairly large highlight on the tip facing the sword.
    This came out looking fairly good (especially in the last photo).

The shin guard is hard; usually, people paint a reflection along the length of the cylindrical shape, assuming a directional light. However, since the powersword's light is not directional but more of a stretched point source, I couldn't bring myself to paint a vertical stripe, instead opting for a more traditional direct reflection *around* the cylinder. I am not convinced about this though, and I might just go back and strip the paint from the shin guard and do it over. Thankfully this is a pewter mini, so selectively stripping with acetone is super easy.

Finally I tried to add a couple of glints (thanks @BloodasMedium) to some sharper edges of the armor around the sword.
    This isn't very obvious, mostly because the sharper edges are already tinted blue from the general skylight above.
    The only proper way to fix this would be to change the sword's glow to a different color, I think.
    If I glazed yellow over the sword, I might be able to get to a green glow for the powersword... however at some point I have to call it done and move on. Lessons learned and all that

I mixed all my shades with a bit of plate metal metallic mixed in, so as not to dull down the highlight. This looks great, much better than my initial attempt without the metallic. Again, great tip @Sikwilly!

The only other thing I have left to do on this guy is the freehand heraldry on his shoulder shield. So almost there.

Here are the photos, you C&Cs are welcome as always!

Waw, this is a really cool visual atmosphere already!

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    [...]This isn't very obvious, mostly because the sharper edges are already tinted blue from the general skylight above.
    The only proper way to fix this would be to change the sword's glow to a different color, I think.
    If I glazed yellow over the sword, I might be able to get to a green glow for the powersword... however at some point I have to call it done and move on. Lessons learned and all that
    [...]
    I second this idea, if you got photoshop (or any picture editor), you can "simulate" your glaze and have an idea of the final outcome (I never tryed this idea btw, it just crossed my mind), but that also means to spend more time on this project x).

Waw, this is a really cool visual atmosphere already!

I second this idea, if you got photoshop (or any picture editor), you can "simulate" your glaze and have an idea of the final outcome (I never tryed this idea btw, it just crossed my mind), but that also means to spend more time on this project x).
    Hey Kallfa, thanks, and again for the great tip!

I am a GIMP user (I know) so I threw a yellow layer over the blue glow to give it a green tint.
    I also changed the shape of the glow on the shin, and added a couple more reflections from the shiny armor.

This is the result, whatdya think? Should I go for it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I really like it ! The OSL effet is much more notable, you should definitely go for it in my opinion !

Great job Gorb. Only thing I might add is that the lower leg by the sword would have the light also showing on the lower part of the leg armor as well, so maybe glaze in a little dark blue (if you haven't already) on that part too. But regardless if you do that or not it is looking really nice as is. And... I didn't realize this was already on another page. That green looks pretty cool as well if you decide to go that route
    Last edited by ekipage; 12-12-2019 at 08:31 PM.

I really like it ! The OSL effet is much more notable, you should definitely go for it in my opinion !
    Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Great job Gorb. Only thing I might add is that the lower leg by the sword would have the light also showing on the lower part of the leg armor as well, so maybe glaze in a little dark blue (if you haven't already) on that part too. But regardless if you do that or not it is looking really nice as is. And... I didn't realize this was already on another page. That green looks pretty cool as well if you decide to go that route
    Thanks @Kallfa and @ekipage, yes I decided what the heck, just go for it, so last night I blended in some yellow ink on the reflections, which worked quite well I think. I then stripped the sword and the shin, seeing as they have to be repainted to do it properly. So right now it just looks bad

It is the season of Christmas parties, so hopefully I'll get some time later this weekend to work at it.

The basing work you posted Dec-11th is just awesome.
    What St. Toad is doing with landscape you're doing with industrial stuff. I'm stunned!