gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 12
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Precisely! That's what take out and plastic utensils are for

Finally starting to settle into the new house. The move wasn't super taxing, but with three excited young kids around I haven't had much time to hobby.
    The cave is set up now, though, and I've started warming up again by working on the garage dread.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Ah the trusty old Optivisor! Nice set up, I have still to re-build mine properly

​Looks like a great place to spend many happy hours!

Justin credible!!!!!! More than we could ever hope for!!! Your s genius gorb.

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Ah the trusty old Optivisor! Nice set up, I have still to re-build mine properly
    Yep, can't see the details with my 43yr old eyes anymore

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    ​Looks like a great place to spend many happy hours!
    Exactly, these are our escape pods from reality!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Justin credible!!!!!! More than we could ever hope for!!! Your s genius gorb.
    Thanks BaM, as usual you are way too kind! But I do appreciate your support

--

I started on some chipping on the garage dread, and then added some chipped insignias.
    The body chipping was done in the same way I did for the Fire Raptor: orange + dark brown + gun metal

The insignias are all freehand. It was pretty nerve wracking, but I started on the blood raven on the shoulder first, so after that the others didn't feel to bad.
    For each insignia I basically just painted the entire thing, then chipped it by adding spots with the basecoat it was painted on.

The right shoulder got the blood raven:

The left shoulder got the close-support icon:

The shin guards got an aquilla and a heavily chipped skull:

(For me at least) the imperfections of the garage cast get pushed way into the background just with these effects:

I also chipped the test space marine in the same way, although I didn't bother chipping his insignia; I thought that would be a bit over the top.

For the dread there is one more chipped freehand to come: I plan to put a large Raven silhouette on the front of the body.
    Then I plan to add some filters with oil to get some rain streaking and soot.

BTW If it isn't too obvious right now, I am basically using these guys as a test run for the Raptor, which will get a similar kind of treatment...
    Me not ever knowing what i'm doing, I thought it would be good to at least practice first

Now you know why I weather so much- imperfections boom done gone!!! Great job on the damage inc.

Now you know why I weather so much- imperfections boom done gone!!! Great job on the damage inc.
    Haha! Yes, I now see the value in adding various layers of paint, adding texture and shading but most of all hiding all crimes

I spent last night adding the freehand raven on the front of the chassis. I felt way more confident, given that I wasn't working on a hard-to-fix pale background.
    The body is done in dark green + red, and the highlighting with medium gray. Then I chipped it a bit too, in keeping with the main theme.

I've coated the entire thing with gloss varnish, in preparation for some oil washes and streaking to round out the weathering and break up the flat panels.
    Also I need to fix the purity seal + scroll on the left arm; the previous one broke off at some point. For that I've got some green stuff sculpts curing...

And the base needs some work, but I can see the light at the end of this specific tunnel now. Given that I started this guy last October, that is a year long tunnel. With some detours of course

[QUOTE=gorb;886301]Yep, can't see the details with my 43yr old eyes anymore /QUOTE]

Me neither, have the optivisor and a couple others. The BA stuff is all looking fantastic!

nice work. the weathering looks good. nice red shade to.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Just saw your new workplace. Inviting for countless hours full of hobbyism :-)

Gorb I really want to get together somehow and take lesson on how you go about this stiff. I know your on the other coast but hey I’m waiting for publishers clearing house to knock on my door!!!!

Me neither, have the optivisor and a couple others. The BA stuff is all looking fantastic!
    Thank you kindly eki, much appreciated! Yes, I'm glad we have these tools available, otherwise it would be too hard to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    nice work. the weathering looks good. nice red shade to.
    Thank you Coyote, I've been trying really hard to get the reds looking like I had in my head. It is hard though.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Just saw your new workplace. Inviting for countless hours full of hobbyism :-)
    Yes, I think it is set up nicely. There is just enough room, so no temptation to get too many things done at once.
    Just enough to get some work done

Gorb I really want to get together somehow and take lesson on how you go about this stiff. I know your on the other coast but hey I’m waiting for publishers clearing house to knock on my door!!!!
    That would be awesome BaM! You are right, it would take some travel to get this to happen. And I am hesitant to claim to be able to teach...
    But it would be super fun to meet up, do some smallish kind of project with a couple of different aspects (construction, sculpting and casting) of the stuff I do. And of course learning is a two way street, so I'd love to meet you (and maybe some other people from that side of the country). Would be great to have some beers together

​All the freehand looks terrific, my man.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    ​All the freehand looks terrific, my man.
    Thank you StToad! Overall I'm happy with how it came out. The blood raven on the shoulder is my favourite. But I need to remember to keep my paint thinner, especially on the lighter freehand work. Luckily the fact that the shin guards are kinda beat up makes the flaky paint look as if it fits in.
    Lots to learn...

-

Did some more freehand work on the front chassis, with a larger blood raven:

Then coated it in gloss, ready for some oil weathering. You may notice that the purity seal on his shoulder is broken, this happened at some point during the year, so I made a new one from green stuff.

So now it looks like this:

I need some skulls, both for the dread's base and for the diorama I'm building, so I did this too.

Then I made some molds: one for the skull, and some more from various gears and tracks I ripped out of an old printer. These will be used to create features for the diorama

Your freehand looks great!! I’m loving the whole thing man. And your greenstuff skills blow me away every time I visit here... keep it coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    so I'd love to meet you (and maybe some other people from that side of the country). Would be great to have some beers together
    Adepticon location is kind of in the middle isn't it? It is really awesome to see how you go about creating things/casting and such. You need to look up paper modeling shows (yeah I never knew they existed before) if you didn't know of them as your stuff is spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by Sik Willy View Post
    Your freehand looks great!! I’m loving the whole thing man. And your greenstuff skills blow me away every time I visit here... keep it coming!!
    Thanks Sik, much appreciated! Still lots to learn, especially with greenstuff, it is a very versatile material.

Adepticon location is kind of in the middle isn't it? It is really awesome to see how you go about creating things/casting and such. You need to look up paper modeling shows (yeah I never knew they existed before) if you didn't know of them as your stuff is spectacular!
    I've been thinking about going to Adepticon, actually. Just to visit mind you, and soak in the atmosphere. Not sure about entering anything, because (a) I'm not sure my stuff can be entered anywhere and (b) I really don't think my painting skills are up to snuff.

But it would be awesome to meet some of the people here on the forum, and if it turns out we all have a bit of a learning experience from each other then that will be awesome.

--

Gave the molds a good time to cure, then did some castings: I cast the gears with Perfect Cast (kinda like plaster, just stronger), and used the excess to cast up some Land Raider track sections from the mold I made a year ago.

Made 4 copies of the little skull in resin, and used the excess to cast a couple of space marine torsos, a dreadnought canon and some dreadnought claws.
    (the space marine torso is from the mold I used for the Fire Raptor pilot and gunners, the dreadnought is from the same dreadnought mold I am currently painting).

Two of the space marines are only half-cast (ran out of excess resin!) but waste-not-want-not: I'll use them for dead space marines on bases.

For example, I need a flyer base for the Fire Raptor, and I have a miscast from the dreadnought chassis already, so adding the canon and claw to the base I could make it look like a destroyed dreadnought half-buried in the rubble of the base. Plus throw in a dead space marine, and some broken-off sections of Land Raider tracks and other pieces of rubble, that should paint a grim picture of a 41st millennium warzone.

The painted-up dreadnought seriously needs a skull on its base, so that's one down.

The other 3 skulls will be worked into the dreadnought diorama: servo skulls anyone?
    Plus the gears will be used in a re-worked Cog Mechanicum. The current one is just... meh.

Did some oil weathering on the garage dread last night. It was an interesting first experience. I'm letting it dry overnight, then I'll apply some matte varnish and put some photos up.

Got busy on the servo skulls, these are super fun to make since there is no real right or wrong, and the more dissimilar they are the better.

Love this thread- it’s like watching a co behind the scenes make one of their models from start to finish !!! Great brilliant stuff going on!!!