gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 14
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Great stuff with the foamcutter, and it looks like you have a really cool base underway.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Great stuff with the foamcutter, and it looks like you have a really cool base underway.
    Thanks SaintToad! We'll see if I can pull off what I have in my mind's eye...

Here are some photos of the current state of the Tech Priest. Only the thurible + chain to do, this will go into his right hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Awesome stuff. I love that dynamic almost surreal style of posture. It's awesome and it's unique. Wonderful job!

Really nice work on the tech priest! Can't wait to see this figure completed

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaan View Post
    Awesome stuff. I love that dynamic almost surreal style of posture. It's awesome and it's unique. Wonderful job!
    Thank you Arkaan, appreciate the kind comment! I can't take full credit for this figure though, it is based on the Tech Priest Dominus figure from GW.
    I need it to play the "priest" role in the dreadnought diorama I'm working on, hence the lack of weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Really nice work on the tech priest! Can't wait to see this figure completed
    Thank you kindly eki!

I'll let you wait no longer, the figure is finished, so I primed it gray (to get rid of the mish-mash of different colored putties) and added a wash to highlight the details. The figure is up here for your voting:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/442106

I'll be putting him up on putty&paint soon too.

Really nice tech priest @gorb.
    Dynamic and creepy. Well done!

I absolutely balls to the wall live this piece!!!

It is so impressive seeing you working on own sculpted things!
    Did you ever consider applying at GW for a job as designer?

Wow such talent, you are very inspiring.

Your greenstuff skills blow me away every visit gorb... seriously. Always love seeing what you have in the works, the tech priest looks amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Really nice tech priest @gorb.
    Dynamic and creepy. Well done!
    Thanks Dexter!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    I absolutely balls to the wall live this piece!!!
    Much appreciated BaM! I like him too, he was fun to do

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    It is so impressive seeing you working on own sculpted things!
    Did you ever consider applying at GW for a job as designer?
    Thank you for the compliment Graishak, I'm flattered that you'd think my work is up to that standard.
    I'd love to one day be able to do this full-time, but for now I am still learning the ropes.
    This guy is pretty much copied from the GW sculpt, with some minor alterations and interpretations.
    So I look at it as a study, and as a way of figuring out how to make the putty perform at that scale, where to put details and how much, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
    Wow such talent, you are very inspiring.
    Thanks heaps Clouds!

Quote Originally Posted by Sik Willy View Post
    Your greenstuff skills blow me away every visit gorb... seriously. Always love seeing what you have in the works, the tech priest looks amazing!
    Thanks Sik, very kind of you! I am still learning to properly use putties, so your compliment is very welcome.

--

I've recently received the forest base that Saint Toad sent me (thank you so much!) and started playing with a sculpt for it, here is what I have so far.
    I plan to leave the base as pristine as possible, so the figure will not be fixed to it. This adds a dimension of difficulty to the sculpting process, but so far so good.
    For this sculpt I am using beesputty, which is a new medium for me to play with. @ADE70 is giving me some advice, so let's see what I come up with:

Also, started sculpting away at the new foam base for the dreadnought diorama. XPS Foam is an interesting medium, it affords me a lot more options than the previous base I had built out of chipboard and eggcarton:

Nice start on the sculpt, another dynamic pose.
    The new dreadnought diorama is coming along nicely too.

Nice start on the sculpt, another dynamic pose.
    The new dreadnought diorama is coming along nicely too.
    Thanks Dexter! The diorama is coming along slowly - I am taking my time with it, so there is no pressure.

Last night I started working on the winged cog mechanicum piece again, this will go up onto the base tower. I am sculpting some of it, and because the tower
    is rounded I can't sculpt separately on a flat work surface, and I can't sculpt directly on the tower because I can't bake the foam.

So I built a cardboard scaffold, which gives me the same curved surface to work on. This can go into the oven, so I can harden the sculpey.

Using this scaffold, I started adding more detail to the cog:

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    ...I am taking my time with it, so there is no pressure....
    I know the feeling...

Take you're time, I'm sure it will pay after as the final diorama will be exceptional!

I know the feeling...
    Take you're time, I'm sure it will pay after as the final diorama will be exceptional!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Dexter! If it does work out well then I'll be ecstatic, but I somehow just have to get this image out of my head and into reality

Speaking of which , here is some further progress on the cog mechanicum montage on the tower of the base:
    The base is now covered in a pva/black primer mixture. The main elements of the cog montage are all there, it now needs a bunch more detail.

Also did some more work on the huntress: I'm starting to love working with beesputty. It distorts much less around an area where you are working, so doing fine detail is much better than with other polyclays. However for now I only have a photo of her general shape:

That dio scene is looking sharp! Can't wait to see it with the mini's on it!

Some incredibly fascinating work on your end and together with toad some wonderful collaboration work going on!!!!! More and more dine everytinr and happier and happpier I get seeing in my minds eye the finished product -and the thing is no matter how great my image is of what I envision- I know it will be 10 times better!!!!

Do you still plan to add chains and vent grids?

Steam would be a nice effect too I think.

New dread backdrop is a huge improvement mate...definitely a lesson in not being afraid to start from scratch when you realise how much you could improve something!

Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    That dio scene is looking sharp! Can't wait to see it with the mini's on it!
    Thanks, me neither. Baby steps

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Some incredibly fascinating work on your end and together with toad some wonderful collaboration work going on!!!!! More and more dine everytinr and happier and happpier I get seeing in my minds eye the finished product -and the thing is no matter how great my image is of what I envision- I know it will be 10 times better!!!!
    Haha! Yes I know it didn't start out as a collab, technically I'm just "filling in the blank". But it does feel cool to start connecting with people on the forum
    in reality as opposed to just online. Thanks again to StToad, trusting me with his very stunning looking little base.
    And thanks for the kind comment BaM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    New dread backdrop is a huge improvement mate...definitely a lesson in not being afraid to start from scratch when you realise how much you could improve something!
    Awesome.
    Thanks Hairster! Yeah I definitely have no time pressure with this project, and I'm not getting bored with it - sometimes I'll just put it down for a while and
    come back when I have some inspiration. So that helps when it comes down to trying stuff out, and even discarding / redoing things when I think it is time.
    This isn't always possible when you have a deadline, I guess.

Do you still plan to add chains and vent grids?
    Steam would be a nice effect too I think.
    I have a couple of GS pipes and tubes currently curing, that I plan to hang from the cog centerpiece, as well as sneaking from the side vents into and onto the dreadnought, so yes I do plan to add those. Steam... haven't thought about that. I'll think about it. Thanks for the idea