gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 19
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Quote Originally Posted by Kallfa View Post
    That's great ! The green blade is better in my opinion. The OSL effect brings out as expected, and I really like the sword reflection on the leg. Nicely done !
    Quote Originally Posted by Sik Willy View Post
    Dude, you absolutely nailed it. sorry i haven't had as much time to comment and such on everyones threads, but you did wonderfully at taking everyones advice to heart and executed it very well, big improvement, the effect sells, and the green was a great move! glad i could be a part of it!
    Thank you very much guys! You have given me super helpful advice, I don't think I would have tried any of this without your encouragement and comments.

I definitely learned a lot from this experience. Thankfully it is a pewter mini, I must have stripped the blade & shin 3 times before I finally got it to where I wanted. The freehand was the simplest of the whole thing

--

I did some more work on the space hulk duel, the construction is complete so I did a priming + zenithal preshade, then started to weather the base with a very rusty / grimy undercoat.

I love how the preshade provides the ability to pull some elements into focus, like the terminator's faceplate that was pulled off by the tyranid.
    It is almost a shame to start adding color

Impressive scene you have built here.
    I really love it.

I'm agree about the priming phase. This is the moment you really start to see if the scene you built is believable or not, and sometime, it just feels like you can stop right here.

Though the paint job start really well. I like how the space hulk's coridor looks really old and rusty, it really settle the right atmosphere.

It looks like a predisposed scene for OSL effect ;-). This is exciting !

Nicely done! Really like that green as it adds a brighter color to the overall scene and great job on painting up the sword and the OSL effect!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Nicely done! Really like that green as it adds a brighter color to the overall scene and great job on painting up the sword and the OSL effect!
    Thank you very much ekipage!
    I very much like the way it came out, and I am very happy you guys motivated me to take the scary (to me) step of Just Doing It.
    I learned a very important lesson: don't be afraid to *start* painting, because you can always redo it if it doesn't turn out the way you envisioned it.

It looks like a predisposed scene for OSL effect ;-). This is exciting !
    Thank you Kallfa! Yes, it does look like it Once you get a taste for OSL it is hard not to want to put it everywhere

However, I will restrain myself, since a Space Hulk is supposed to be a centuries-old derelict, and there shouldn't be anything working much less lighting around, just rust and decay.

Although... I *might* light up the pipe down at the bottom into something carrying a hot radioactive liquid, kinda like the glowing pipe that Ripley had to duck under when entering the atmospheric processing plant in Aliens... I'll have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Impressive scene you have built here.
    I really love it.

I'm agree about the priming phase. This is the moment you really start to see if the scene you built is believable or not, and sometime, it just feels like you can stop right here.

Though the paint job start really well. I like how the space hulk's coridor looks really old and rusty, it really settle the right atmosphere.
    Thanks Dexter, much appreciated! Yes I love primer, I think I'm addicted to it.
    But it turns out I like rusty grimy weathering more!

Here are some pics I took today of the weathering process:

First I sealed the grimed up paint job with some Krylon varnish.
    Then I added salt to some of the "boundary" areas between elements.
    Then I sprayed the model with elcheapo hairspray.
    Then I painted some light colored paint mixed with PVA on it.
    This I let dry, then came in with water, a hard brush and a toothpick and scrubbed the salt crystals away, along with some of the paint (made easier by the hairspray underneat).
    Finally I went over again with a couple of darker washes, re-added some orange paint for rust spots and dulled them down with chestnut ink.

This gave me a rotten looking paint job where the edges have curled up, with lots of texture.

This is way too much fun to be legal!

Holy shiiiiiit that’s good!!!

​Great texture. Really looks nice.

I want to test the salt technique for a long time now. I just haven't found the right idea, yet, for a base that would be a good place to experiment it.

Stunning result!

Man that new dio base for the 'Nid and SM is looking killer!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Man that new dio base for the 'Nid and SM is looking killer!
    Thank you kindly ekipage!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    ​Great texture. Really looks nice.
    Much appreciated Saint Toad!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Holy shiiiiiit that’s good!!!
    Thanks BaM, very kind of you!

I want to test the salt technique for a long time now. I just haven't found the right idea, yet, for a base that would be a good place to experiment it.

Stunning result!
    Thanks Dexter, I'm glad you like it! The salt is definitely worth a try. I have held off on it for a long time, mostly because my scratchbuilds contain a lot of paper / card. For example, in this base the box is made from chipboard, the three small pipes from rolled printer paper and the large pipe is made from a kitchen towel roll. So the idea of using a lot of water to wash the salt / hairspray off is a bit intimidating. But the primer, paint and of course the varnish sealed the paper surface well enough that there was no problems at all.
    I will definitely do this again, it is very satisfying, and *can* look much better than the sponge method, especially if you want texture to go with the chipped paint.

I started adding some color with the airbrush to the models:

Added the Grey Knight Terminator and the Tech Priest to my gallery, votes and C&C are very welcome!

Grey Knight Terminator:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/444055

Tech Priest:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/444054

Your scene is very dynamic, and textures look very good. I really like how the two figures are trying to disarm each other.

This is just amazing... you’re 100% the resident king of scratch building and repurposing household items into works of art. You’ve created a wonderful scene full of emotion and mood. Also thank you for detailing out your weathering methods, I may be giving them a try soon too!

Voted and comment left for the Tech-Priest.
    The current dio is just awesome.

Your scene is very dynamic, and textures look very good. I really like how the two figures are trying to disarm each other.
    Thank you Kallfa. It is just a start, I'm refining the shading with a brush now, plus I plan to add some texture to the armor and shine to the alien skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik Willy View Post
    This is just amazing... you’re 100% the resident king of scratch building and repurposing household items into works of art. You’ve created a wonderful scene full of emotion and mood. Also thank you for detailing out your weathering methods, I may be giving them a try soon too!
    Thanks Sik! Very kind of you. I'm happy to share, there is such an abundance of knowledge here that is it great to give a little back when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Voted and comment left for the Tech-Priest.
    The current dio is just awesome.
    Thank you very much Graishak, appreciate the comments!

Before Christmas I started working on the Terminator's face. I haven't had much time in the meantime (spending time with my wife and kids) so here is a little out-of-date photo:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

All voted!

And great start on the paint for this little scene.
    The terminator looks really determined to leave.

Love your work, very inspiring. Makes me want to build something for myself.

All voted!

And great start on the paint for this little scene.
    The terminator looks really determined to leave.
    Thanks for the vote Dexter, appreciate it!
    Yeah, I'm having fun with this build. Lots of weathering all around

Quote Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
    Love your work, very inspiring. Makes me want to build something for myself.
    Thank you so much Korkki! If I manage to pass the itch to scratchbuild on to even one other person, then my job is done here

Have a great New Year's Eve everyone, see you in 2020!

Nice work on the duel. It has a really good movement to it.
    Nice start on the new terminator.

tee

Quote Originally Posted by Tee888 View Post
    Nice work on the duel. It has a really good movement to it.
    Nice start on the new terminator.

tee
    Thanks Tee!

I managed to squeeze in some paint time last night.
    It was a bit of a battle. For some reason I wanted to paint the termy armor a bone white, and shade it with burnt umber, but the umber lends a yellowish cast to the white, and then it looks all wrong when I go over it again with the bone white.
    This was driving me nuts, until I realized that the white I'm looking for is not white but a desert yellow, and all of a sudden everything fell into place.
    Also, I could still use the bone white to edge highlight.

Sometimes I have to tell my brain to shut the f up.

Next up will be to add some battle damage and paint chips, and some streaking, then the armor is done and I can move onto other details.