gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 20
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Ok, so first off I really like the grime and grit on your pipes and ground in your diorama. Really captures the grimdark feel.

And secondly, I relate to what you mentioned about your brain driving you nuts due to how you're looking at a miniature. It's really annoying, and you're right, it drives me crazy too! I've noticed that if I'm feeling that way, I don't know why, but sometimes it helps just putting off judgement until I've had some sleep or spent the day at work. I'm usually less critical of myself and my paint jobs after I've spent some time away from the mini.

Anyway, your progress on your diorama and the miniatures involved in it looks really nice! Looking forward to seeing the rest of it!

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread // Instagram
    Photo-Taking Input?

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun."

- Zap Rowsdower

Quote Originally Posted by Rowwwsdower View Post
    Ok, so first off I really like the grime and grit on your pipes and ground in your diorama. Really captures the grimdark feel.

And secondly, I relate to what you mentioned about your brain driving you nuts due to how you're looking at a miniature. It's really annoying, and you're right, it drives me crazy too! I've noticed that if I'm feeling that way, I don't know why, but sometimes it helps just putting off judgement until I've had some sleep or spent the day at work. I'm usually less critical of myself and my paint jobs after I've spent some time away from the mini.

Anyway, your progress on your diorama and the miniatures involved in it looks really nice! Looking forward to seeing the rest of it!
    Thanks a lot Rowwwsdower, appreciate the kind words!

I did some weathering on the terminator and spent some time on the tyranid's skin last night.
    It is looking ok so far, but I think I need to tone down the reds and oranges, and dirty up the armor a bit more.

I also dripped a bit of epoxy glue into the flat parts of the pipe behind the "wall". This makes it look like condensed pooling moisture, I like the effect. It is dripping down the open vent into the corridor, just a bit hard to see from the angle.

You can see the ship is full of rats too, although he is hard to make out in the crappy photo

Progress pics:

Great progress on the terminator. I love how the armor look really old and used.

The wateer in the pipe is a nice addition. It works pretty well.
    Did you though on adding some splashes under the tyrannid's "foots"? It could reainforce the dynamic of the scene don't you think?

For me the red parts doesn't need to be tone down. I think it offer a balanced contrast with the blue skin and the rest of the diorama too, like the red on the bolter.

That is coming along really nicely! Great atmosphere with the base you created.

Nice work Gorb. Thats coming out great! The grime on the pipes is spot on!

tee

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Great progress on the terminator. I love how the armor look really old and used.

The wateer in the pipe is a nice addition. It works pretty well.
    Did you though on adding some splashes under the tyrannid's "foots"? It could reainforce the dynamic of the scene don't you think?

For me the red parts doesn't need to be tone down. I think it offer a balanced contrast with the blue skin and the rest of the diorama too, like the red on the bolter.
    Thanks Dexter! I had thought about adding some splashes, at the start I also wanted to have some of the grill on the vent "explode" outward, as if the genestealer was hiding behind the grill and crashed through it.
    Alas, I couldn't make it look ok, so I had to give up.
    Same with the epoxy glue, it tends to contract when you leave it (lots of surface tension) so shaping splashes out of it is beyond me for now. How would you go about doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    That is coming along really nicely! Great atmosphere with the base you created.
    Thanks ekipage, appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tee888 View Post
    Nice work Gorb. Thats coming out great! The grime on the pipes is spot on!

tee
    Cheers Tee, thank you very much!

Default Finish him!

All right, I'm calling it. Here is the final thing, some better photos!

Please vote for it here: http://www.coolminiornot.com/444348

Last edited by gorb; 01-05-2020 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Added the gallery link

You are just amazing- impressive as can be.

Excellent piece Gorb congrats

Wow, amazing. A solid 10 for me, great job!

As for the splashes, I saw a video some times ago explaining how to do spit/drool using transparent sprue and a lighter:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2RBUs9keE4

Voted. Love the gritty and dynamic feel of the vignette.

Thank you to everyone that has voted on this so far, I appreciate it greatly!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    You are just amazing- impressive as can be.
    Thanks John, that is very kind of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmar3 View Post
    Excellent piece Gorb congrats
    Thank you very much Sigmar!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Wow, amazing. A solid 10 for me, great job!

As for the splashes, I saw a video some times ago explaining how to do spit/drool using transparent sprue and a lighter:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2RBUs9keE4
    Thanks Dexter, I appreciate it! I'll check out the video you posted. I have to get my hands on some transparent sprue. Model buying time!

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Voted. Love the gritty and dynamic feel of the vignette.
    Thank you KruleBear, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Lemming View Post
    Excellent vignette, like it!
    Thanks Lem, much appreciated!

Finally managed to put the Space Hulk Duel on putty&paint, after a long battle trying to get the post up.
    Here's the link, in case you want to go vote for it:

https://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/23918

Long story short: don't put a message with a double dash (ie. --) in your description. You will regret it

Started back on the Fire Raptor again, adding in the metallic parts that I haven't done yet, in preparation to do the weathering on the bottom of the bird.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

After a loooong procrastination, I finally started weathering the underside of the bird.

Lots of sponge work, lots of little nicks and scratches. I figure that since it is a ground attack craft, it is going to see a lot of incoming from underneath. Also washed the exposed engine & metal bits with some dark wash, attached the engine exhausts, and shaded the twin front canons with muzzleburn.

In one of the photos you can see the flyer base I've built from a piece of balsa wood.

It is covered in Das airdry clay, with sand and coffee grounds for texture, and a bunch of parts from other projects as debris:
    a failed cast of the garage dreadnought in there, with a half-cast spacemarine gunner and some leftover tracks from the Land Raider.

Nice detailing. Muzzle scorching looks cool. Your personal manufactorum does leave you with wonderful basing bits, don’t it?!

That genestealer/termie dio came out great and good to see you getting back to the gunship that is just some stellar work there.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Nice detailing. Muzzle scorching looks cool. Your personal manufactorum does leave you with wonderful basing bits, don’t it?!
    Thanks SaintToad! Yeah, I find that good silicone molds are the gifts that keep on giving. I love how I can still use the molds I made for my Land Raider on current projects. And a corollary to that is that there is no such thing as a failed cast. Always pour that last little drip of resin!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    That genestealer/termie dio came out great and good to see you getting back to the gunship that is just some stellar work there.
    Thank you very much ekipage!

Doing all the fiddly bits before I seal it up and do some freehand work.

This includes the cables on the outside & the lenses on the sensor unit. Still todo before I continue are the cage lights on the front and rear, and the sensor lenses on the ball turrets, and anything else I find along the way

Some wip shots:

The engine details:

Gear well2 and ball turret:

Wing details:

And here is a closeup of that base, showing some of the detail:

Thanks for looking!