gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 271

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

  1. #201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Really great job on this dio so far and great use of bits and pieces to put it together! I know it could be difficult, but maybe something to look into down the line, like filling that clear tube (on the gun) with some UV reactive fluid, such as the stuff for liquid cooling computers. You would have to seal off both ends so it doesn't evaporate and such but if you could get it under UV light it would look pretty cool
    Cheers ekipage! The liquid-idea sounds great! I'll keep it in mind for a future project. To be honest, I have avoided thinking about LEDs and stuff (even on my Land Raider & Fire Raptor scratcbuilds) because I very much want to be able to produce the effect of light and shade on minis using only paint.

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Looking great!
    could you cast the cog and put one on each side, then retain your original idea of having the chain coming out of them?
    Great idea SaintToad, I'll think about it. I would have loved to keep a single focal point above the dreadnought, with the pilot kind of looking up towards it. I might build out the cog into a larger mural piece, maybe with extra little skulls below feeding down the chains, maybe with some gears and other mechanical pieces involved. We'll see...



    I have opened up the Fire Raptor and removed the protective stuffing from the inside, given that the major airbrush work is now done.
    The pilot is ensconed safely back in his cockpit:



    I then started re-priming the engine and other exposed mechanical parts in black.
    Here are some shots with the fully posed model:












  2. #202

    Default

    As always, once I'm stepping into this thread I can see marvellous, own constructed things.
    The pilot of your dreadnought made me think about the first contact movie.
    Looking at that mini this statement popped into my mind: "We Are the Borg. You Will be Assimilated. Resistance is Futile"

  3. #203

    Default

    Justin credible !!!!! Your thread kicks so much booty !!! I will openly admit I love coming here than checking out my own thread!!!! I envy skills like yours- i def have to find a way to give it a go . That’s called being inspired !!!!

  4. #204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    Cheers ekipage! The liquid-idea sounds great! I'll keep it in mind for a future project. To be honest, I have avoided thinking about LEDs and stuff (even on my Land Raider & Fire Raptor scratcbuilds) because I very much want to be able to produce the effect of light and shade on minis using only paint.
    I didn't mean add any actual lighting kits to it. The watercooling fluid is UV reactive (if you buy that type) so if you had it with either a UV flashlight or lightbulb to take pics then those bits would light up from the light. If I am not mistaken some of them are actually tinted now so that it would look like you have red, green, or blue, etc fluid in it until you hit it with a black light. Something like this https://www.newegg.com/p/2YM-000S-00...8092-_-Product

  5. #205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    As always, once I'm stepping into this thread I can see marvellous, own constructed things.
    The pilot of your dreadnought made me think about the first contact movie.
    Looking at that mini this statement popped into my mind: "We Are the Borg. You Will be Assimilated. Resistance is Futile"
    Thanks graishak! I've been fascinated by the concept of the wh40k dreadnought for a while now, I'm trying to express this fascination on this piece, even if no-one ever sees it (except for you guys of course!). The idea of the torn apart pieces of a dying space marine, who fought valiantly to (what he thought was his) death, only to be scraped together, bandaged up half-way, and the realization that no, his fight is not over, that he is now about to be stuffed into a walking coffin with massive weaponry, to keep on serving the emperor. Pretty grim. But hey, this is 40k, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Justin credible !!!!! Your thread kicks so much booty !!! I will openly admit I love coming here than checking out my own thread!!!! I envy skills like yours- i def have to find a way to give it a go . That’s called being inspired !!!!
    BaM, you are very kind, I appreciate every encouragement you give me. If I inspire you enough to pick up some greenstuff and start experimenting, then my job is done here

    Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    I didn't mean add any actual lighting kits to it. The watercooling fluid is UV reactive (if you buy that type) so if you had it with either a UV flashlight or lightbulb to take pics then those bits would light up from the light. If I am not mistaken some of them are actually tinted now so that it would look like you have red, green, or blue, etc fluid in it until you hit it with a black light. Something like this https://www.newegg.com/p/2YM-000S-00...8092-_-Product
    Oh, I understand what you mean now, similar to what metalasmedium did with his craven king work, right? That does sound cool...
    I'll definitely keep it in mind, thanks for the idea!

  6. #206

  7. #207

    Default

    Skulls skulls skulls. This is wh40k after all, you can never have enough skulls.

    I figured out what I wanted to do with the Cog Mechanicum: I've made him the centerpiece and added some Imperium wings:
    The wings curve around the walls, I think it looks kinda neat.



    As for feeding the chain, I made a hooded skull, through which the chain can run.
    The hood forms the outline of the typical cathedralesque arch that is prevalent in the Mechanicus iconography, so I think it won't look out of place.
    Next up I have to make a mold and cast two copies, I think you can see where I'm going with this



    I also made another arch piece, this one with a circular vent at the bottom, and attachments for 3 pipes/hoses.
    I plan to put one on each side of the dreadnought body, just above the steps, so that the dread itself can be attached to some piping.

    It's a kind of the main theme, in this diorama


  8. #208
    Freak! SaintToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    2,281
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I think your solution has improved upon the original design. The image I have of him essentially tangled/bound in a web of pipes, cords, chains, wires, etc is great. It will help fill the large space of the pedestal, as well. Keep it up, bud!

  9. #209

    Default

    I really like the new additions, looks more and more intersting with each addition, this is gonna be epic!

  10. #210

    Default

    Impressive and nothing short of that!!!

  11. #211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    I think your solution has improved upon the original design. The image I have of him essentially tangled/bound in a web of pipes, cords, chains, wires, etc is great. It will help fill the large space of the pedestal, as well. Keep it up, bud!
    Thanks SaintToad. Yes, that is the image I have in my head too: lots of wires, pipes and chains hanging from above, then the same tangled around the feet of the dread, snaking up onto the chasis. The pedestal space is large, maybe too large. I am considering cutting off the bottom step, and trimming the side to taper on the way up.
    That way I don't have to worry about too much empty space around the front, and the blank space on the side walls.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    I really like the new additions, looks more and more intersting with each addition, this is gonna be epic!
    Thank you Dexter, I appreciate it. Don't know about epic, but this thing has taken on a life of its own, and I have to see it through

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Impressive and nothing short of that!!!
    Thanks mate, your support is very welcome!



    I made the molds for the skull and vent plate, then cast some Perfect Cast to get two copies each:









    As usual, bubbles are the enemy of the perfect (or something like that), however I only have 4 pieces to fix, and greenstuff works well for that.

    I then proceeded to drill the chain feedholes through the skulls, by carefully hand-drilling from the front with a smaller bit, then redrilling from the back with a bigger drill bit. This allows the space behind the teeth to be wider, making the chain feed through very nicely.



    Here is the current posed piece. The two skulls look pretty good, I think. The winged Cog Mechanicum looks a bit too small though, I'll expand on it a bit, maybe make the wings extend out of the front and sides of the tower. The little domed canister at the dread's feet will be connected via piping to from the side vent plate to the dread, I aim to try and paint some kind of bubbling liquid inside of it.

    Lots more to do


  12. #212

    Default

    Man this is epic, so impressive!! Definitely inspiration to try some more scratch building when I finish my current projects. Looking forward to tracking your progress!

  13. #213

    Default

    Wellllll HOLLLY SHEEEP SHIIIT!!!

  14. #214

    Default

    this just gets better and better! Freakin' awesome work here!

  15. #215

    Default

    This is coming along nicely.

  16. #216

    Default

    Brilliant stuff gorb, been following along in instagram as usual.

    Creative and resourceful scale modelling and scratchbuilding....love that!

  17. #217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sik Willy View Post
    Man this is epic, so impressive!! Definitely inspiration to try some more scratch building when I finish my current projects. Looking forward to tracking your progress!
    Thanks Sik! Yes, you should definitely try it. It is a slippery slope though, once you start playing with green stuff before you know it you are up to your eyeballs in craft foam and styrene

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Wellllll HOLLLY SHEEEP SHIIIT!!!
    Haha! Thanks BaM, I almost got coffee all over my keyboard

    Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    this just gets better and better! Freakin' awesome work here!
    Thank you kindly eki

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    This is coming along nicely.
    Hi Dexter, thank you. Yes, it is progressing, we'll see how long it takes before I'm happy with the entire thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Brilliant stuff gorb, been following along in instagram as usual.

    Creative and resourceful scale modelling and scratchbuilding....love that!
    Thanks Hairster, I appreciate it!


    We are in the process of moving house, so I have had to start packing everything up. This means very little scratchbuilding going on.

    However, it is a good time to just get some painting practice in, so I've resurrected an older project that I never finished: the garage-cast dreadnought lives!
    If you don't remember him, he is a resin cast from a silicone-caulk mold I made using a scratchbuilt papercraft dreadnought model.
    Not the finest quality around, plus the purity seal on his left shoulder needs to be redone. But hey, it works for me

    Reprimed, re-basecoated, ready for some details and weathering, along with a couple of older Space Marines, from the Battle for Macgragge set.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  18. #218

    Default

    Dont have much time to paint or build right now, also everything is packed up in boxes

    But I got a chance to finish a DIY tentacle / cable roller tool last night, and wrote up my process.
    You can read about it on my blog here
    https://vigilantesculpting.blogspot....le-roller.html

    Using it I can get pretty good looking cables, similar to what you can get with the Roll Maker from Green Stuff World
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  19. #219

    Default

    Cable looks really good, nice job on the roller build! Bummer about everything packed up, but I know where you are coming from as I moved about a year ago and was in the same boat. Just make sure you have all your hobby boxes labeled very well

  20. #220

    Default

    Thanks ekipage! Luckily we are not moving far, but yes, I take your advice about labeling the hobby stuff well. Who cares about the kitchen ware!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->