gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 43
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Quote Originally Posted by mousekiller View Post
    Mate, the level of meticulous detail you have put into this tank is simply astounding. It looks amazing.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it!

I tinted the whole thing a bit darker and more neutral with a bit of Payne's gray.
    Spent some time on sponge and brush chipping, and started preparing all the TMM surfaces, so the metals will go on next, along
    with stuff like the tank division numbering + tank name plate.
    I plan to use some chipping fluid for that, so that the existing scratches will show through.

I like the scheme and love the cube of learning concept.

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    I like the scheme and love the cube of learning concept.
    Thanks KruleBear! Yeah the cube is really proving its worth, even if I just try out a new technique on a small corner of it, I can immediately tell whether I like the look of it.

Here are some more photos, with the division number & nameplate done, and a start on some oil pinwashing to add a bit of depth to the details.

I chose the 11th Heavy Tank Company, and the name "Relentless" (h/t to @MetalAsMedium for giving me the idea).

Everything is freehand, but I did use some masking tape and masking fluid to do the red/white stripes on the side.

I covered the entire model in a gloss varnish before starting on the (black) pinwash.

Once the pinwash is finished, I'll cover it in a satin varnish, then proceed with a dot filter and some more grimy washes (all in oils).

Great job with the weathering, very natural!

Great job with the weathering, very natural!
    Thanks my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Lemming View Post
    Beautiful work! And don't forget the verdigris.
    Thank you Lone Lemming! The verdigris is a great tip, thank you. I've started adding it to the winged skulls & aquilla, not sure about the main gun - what do you think?

All in all I'm happy with where this is going.

It might be a bit too dark in some spots, and I have considered lightening it a bit by using a translucent pale gray.
    Have you ever had to do this? How would you go about getting a lighter gray that won't be too opaque?
    I know it will mean some touchups to the weathering...

Thanks for looking!

You weathering effects are top notch.

Awesome progress - looks like you're in the flow :-)

Wizardry. Pure wizardry . Damn wizards their everywhere.

You weathering effects are top notch.
    Thank you mousekiller!

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Awesome progress - looks like you're in the flow :-)
    Kinda, been out of it for a bit though

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Wizardry. Pure wizardry . Damn wizards their everywhere.
    Thanks for stopping by BaM!

I've taken a bit of a break recently, went hiking with my kids and doing some renovations aroung the house. The Stormblade is almost finished now, I think I just have some dry-brushed metals to do. And the commander needs some color in his cheeks & coat.

In the meantime, I've decided to redo my website & blog: https://www.vigilantesculpting.com

The site is built completely from scratch with my own handwritten Python code. The blog content comes from (a) the original blogspot blog I used to run, (b) my forum posts here at CMON, and (c) various posts at papermodelers, ArtStation etc. that I've made over the last couple of years,
    all with backlinks (where possible) to the blogs & forums they originally came from.

Best of all is that I can create a page for each project I finish, and string together all the related posts to that project into a nice step-by-step page showing how the project evolved, for example
    here is my original Land Raider: https://www.vigilantesculpting.com//...andraider.html

Also, I have all my articles, sketches & drawings separately accessible.

It feels like I can give my all-over-the-show hobby life a bit more structure this way, in ways that Instagram, CMON and a generic blog (like my previous blogger site) simply can not.

So if you have in the past read my blog (or not!), please go over to the new site and check it out.

Finishing up the Stormblade project, it has been a great ride!

Using the airbrush, I deepened the blue on the hull, and gave it
    a light gray drybrush. Then added the muzzle burn on the
    lasguns, gave everything another once over with black and brown oil paint, and finished
    up with a satin varnish, then finally redusted with some pigment.

Here are some more detail shots:

(I think this one is my favourite, since it shows off the greeblies that I made)

Gorb, excellent job on this! I know, this makes x3, wow to the weathering effects. But, also, "RELENTLESS".... I have no idea how you were able to paint those letters so well but I know just how terribly difficult that is and you did an A++ job on it.

I am not a 40K fan at all (FANTASY BATTLE is my niche), but this is hands down the best tank that I have seen in my time painting (over 25 years).

Great work man, you really should be proud of this.

Gorb, excellent job on this! I know, this makes x3, wow to the weathering effects. But, also, "RELENTLESS".... I have no idea how you were able to paint those letters so well but I know just how terribly difficult that is and you did an A++ job on it.

I am not a 40K fan at all (FANTASY BATTLE is my niche), but this is hands down the best tank that I have seen in my time painting (over 25 years).

Great work man, you really should be proud of this.
    Wow, that is some high praise indeed, it makes me super happy and I am glad you like it!

I have to admit though, I have to redo the lettering - in the last push I painted over it while deepening some of the blue on the hull
    One last detail, hah!

So while taking photos of the Stormblade, I thought I'd pose it with my other scratchbuilt tanks, but then I thought what the hell why exclude the bird.
    That makes 4 models in 4 years of scratchbuilding...

Truly EPIC work!! 10/10 for each one!!
    For HIS glory, by HIS Grace,
    TheLost

My WIP thread: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...34-TheLost-WIP

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    Truly EPIC work!! 10/10 for each one!!
    Thanks dude, much appreciated!

I've put the tank up on the gallery, please head on over and vote on it: http://www.coolminiornot.com/459398

Voted and comment left for this stunning piece!

Wow, this is a masterpiece! True art. I have no words, that's awesome

Some hands down rockin work gorb. Hands down brilliant stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Voted and comment left for this stunning piece!
    Thank you very much Graishak!!

Quote Originally Posted by Detalisa View Post
    Wow, this is a masterpiece! True art. I have no words, that's awesome
    Cheers Detalisa, thanks for stopping by and commenting, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Some hands down rockin work gorb. Hands down brilliant stuff.
    Thanks as always John, I appreciate it!

And thanks to every one else who voted so far, this is apparently my highest rated CMON job at the moment. You guys rock

I've also put it up on putty&paint, if you have an account there I would love your support:
    https://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/33291