gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 41
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

And the creativity award goes to *rolling drums* Mr. Gorb :-)

You are a madman. That paper tank is awesome. But the best thing is the cottage for your kids to play with. I love that sharing of the hobby with the next generation.

Impressive work building a tank from scratch!!!!
    I am looking forward to see the end result of the Space Hulk diorama. I have those miniatures (half painted) and I was thinking of making some base to put it in a display cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    And the creativity award goes to *rolling drums* Mr. Gorb :-)
    Thank you Graishak, much appeciated my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    You are a madman. That paper tank is awesome. But the best thing is the cottage for your kids to play with. I love that sharing of the hobby with the next generation.
    Thanks KruleBear, I am super happy you like the tank and the cottage. The kids helped me make some DIY air dry clay yesterday (it's messy as hell!) so I hope we can put the finishing touches on the stone chimney for the cottage soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Brilliant. Just brilliant man!
    Thank you kindly Dexter!

Quote Originally Posted by metalasmedium View Post
    That tank is epic! Way to go Chris!
    Thanks Jocelyn! Still a ways before it is finished, but yeah I am excited about it!!

Quote Originally Posted by dhdiez View Post
    Impressive work building a tank from scratch!!!!
    I am looking forward to see the end result of the Space Hulk diorama. I have those miniatures (half painted) and I was thinking of making some base to put it in a display cabinet
    Thanks mate! I am having heaps of fun with the tank
    The Space Hulk dio is primed up and ready to go, but my hobby desk is crowded with scratchbuilding stuff for the tank atm. I plan on switching over to painting again once the tank is at a decent level of
    completeness - everything else will just have to wait!

I've made a fair bit of progress on the tank - it kinda works like that, slow going on the masters, then once the molds are done the casts just rain down.

Here is a photo of the mocked-up wheel mounts:

This will get fitted under the tank like so, with the tracks wrapped around + inside the hull. (The tracks still need a ton of refinement, plus the wheels need to have rubber applied)

On the rear end, this is what I came up with for engine detailing.

Some more angles of the greeblies dotting the hull of the tank

My favorite parts so far are the details on the top of the turret, and the little hatches. I'm super proud of these

Starting work on the main gun:

Lots of ribbing for extra... plasma?

I made the ribs from sculpey, which I rolled out with a large threaded rod / bolt, and shaped over an armature.
    This is different from what I've done in the past, where I used wire wrapped around a shape, but in this case the ribs have a squared off shape to them
    plus I wanted the ribs to be deep in order to pick up paint better.

This is the shell of the gun. Spot the corn flakes box

and posed with the ribbing:

Here is the greeblie that goes on top. This was fun and quick to make

You def can get a job at the pentagon

Your tanks are looking amazing! Did you ever think about building a Cyborg bust with the same kind of materials? Something like a Terminator?
    I could imagine, that this could be your kind of thing to do :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    You def can get a job at the pentagon
    Thanks BaM! If they let me build paper tanks, then I'll def go and work there!

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Your tanks are looking amazing! Did you ever think about building a Cyborg bust with the same kind of materials? Something like a Terminator?
    I could imagine, that this could be your kind of thing to do :-)
    Thanks Graishak! No, I haven't specifically thought of doing a Terminator yet. Might be a project to keep in the back of my mind...

Here is a mockup of the current state of the Stormblade. I have one length of track assembled, and the wheelbase is ready, but it still needs to be attached to the hull.
    I want to make it fairly stable, but I haven't decided on exactly how to do it yet.

Here is the hull panel removed, so you can see the track running through the hull.
    If I can get the track to run smoothly, I will consider the next step which would be to try and add motors.

Assembling the tracks is pretty mind numbing in a very zen sort of way, if you like that kind of thing.

I added rubber strips to the roadwheels, so they grip the track a bit better. Resin-on-resin friction is almost non-existant.

On another note, I got some plastic chain delivered, and started laying out an underwater diorama featuring a hefty mine.
    I want to add two figures to the scene, but this will take a whole bunch of sculpting so not right now, my mind is on a different track *cough*

Stay safe, thanks for reading!

Stormblade is coming along super nicely! The work is so clean. The tracks, just wow!

WIP: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ramblings-spot
    Blog: http://blog.coolminiornot.com/blog.p...6-Flaming-Tiki
    “A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
    Leonardo da Vinci

Looking forward to see how your underwater diorama develops!

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Tiki View Post
    Stormblade is coming along super nicely! The work is so clean. The tracks, just wow!
    Thanks Tiki, I am very happy you like them!

Quote Originally Posted by metalasmedium View Post
    Looking forward to see how your underwater diorama develops!
    Cheers, me too

I added the bolters and lasguns to the side mounts. The masters are constructed from bits of plastic tubing (drinking straws, etc) and bits from a printer, plus some epoxy putty to fill in gaps etc.
    The lasguns are mounted on swivelling turrets, so they can go left/right and up/down. However I think I will glue the vertical axis in-place, since the guns are not well balanced vertically, so they always droop.
    The boltguns are mounted with magnets and the columns have a metal liner, so they can swivel left right by sliding.

At this point, the biggest thing left to do is to finish off the rest of the tracks & wheels and mount them. But there are a couple of in-between steps, and I still want to figure out if they will run smoothly.

And of course, the rivets. Lots and lots of rivets...

That is really cool, I love the way the tracks came out, and that overhead shot with your "buckets 'o parts" .

I might take up one of these, but my medium of choice would be a Solidworks 3D model, then 3D printing the parts. Out of curiosity, will you end up using some kind of sealing dope on the paper/cardboard prior to painting?

Quote Originally Posted by Dudemeister View Post
    That is really cool, I love the way the tracks came out, and that overhead shot with your "buckets 'o parts" .

I might take up one of these, but my medium of choice would be a Solidworks 3D model, then 3D printing the parts. Out of curiosity, will you end up using some kind of sealing dope on the paper/cardboard prior to painting?
    Thanks Dudemeister!

I'd love to get a 3d printer myself, but I can't really justify the purchase + running costs right now. Also, I can't make up my mind FDM vs Resin

In the top-down photo above you can see some of the cardboard is slightly darker than the (most) rest of it - that is because I have already coated it with MinWax Wood Hardener.
    This is a resin-like coating that you treat rotted wood with to make it... hard.

It works quite well for the paper, stopping it from fraying at the cut edges and generally making it tougher. Not really necessary for painting, but more as a general treatment to make the model more durable.

Considering that you like miniatures, if you want injection molding type resolution and detail, then there's only one choice, resin. FDM on it's best day can't come close. For larger parts, and for parts that need to be structuraly sound, or mechanical parts, then FDM is the way to go, becuase ABS plastic is much stronger.

FWIW, Resin printers are now very affordable. Gone are the days when the only game in town was FormLabs and you had to fork over 3 grand for a printer (I know I was one of those), but now you can buy a very good printer for less than $300. The build volume may be small (about 5.25" x 3.25" x 6.5"), but it's more than enbough to print a few minis in their entirety, or larger models in parts. Resin is also a hell of a lot cheaper than what Formlabs charges, at about $35/liter. You can probably print more than 120 minis the size of space marines out of a 1 liter bottle.

Here is a screenshot of the software showing 5 dark angels with supports, and the amount of resin they would require to print, the time to print and the cost. This would be on a printer like the Anycubic Photpn Mono or the Elegoo Mars v2, with resin costing $35/liter

Name:  space marines.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  236.0 KB

My Hulkbuster model I have in my WIP thread was printed on a larger printer, which afforded me the ability to print it as large as I did, but those types of projects are few and far between.
    Last edited by Dudemeister; 04-29-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks for all this info Dudemeister, this gives me a lot of food for thought. Especially the cost of the print!

I think I understand the tradeoffs between the quality of resin and FDM printers. For me, the problem is still that the resin that comes out of the printer is fairly brittle.
    Yes, the resolution might be awesome, but if I wanted to print a working geartrain (for example), I'd have to make molds of the printed resin parts and cast some stronger resin in the molds,
    whereas with FDM you get some pretty interesting strong prints straight out of the printer.

Can't beat that detail though

So it is that part of the project again. You know, the part where I change my mind and tear things apart because I finally realised how I *actually* want this all to work
    Hey, I do have a plan, the plan just usually comes around a little late lol.

I cut the previously glued sidepanels off, and removed the static round constructs that I had in there before. The way I've decided to do the tracks will just not work that well with how these were.

I then constructed 2 extra wheels per track, which will take the place of the static constructs and allow the track to run much more smoothly through the hull

Here the wheels are, painted black and attached to the side panels:

And here is a shot of how these "interior" wheels will fit together with the visible outer wheels

Some more photos

In other project news, I tried my own take on the hardware-store-promethium style pipes.
    This is decorated with some cast greeblies, some specifically made for the pipes, and some from other projects.

Last but not least, my daughter really wanted a model aircraft to build for her 9th birthday.
    So I swung by our local friendly hobby shoppe, and got her a Revell 1/48th scale P-51D Mustang.
    She is super excited about it, here she is painting the cockpit after assembly.

Last night after she went to bed I did a little extra freehand detailing on the instrument panel. I couln't help myself lol

Great looking work on the new tank, I think all I am good for is making paper airplanes (and not great ones at that)! You might want to buy a resin printer if you daughter is getting into the painting hobby, it might wind up saving you money on all the other models you would have to buy

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Great looking work on the new tank, I think all I am good for is making paper airplanes (and not great ones at that)! You might want to buy a resin printer if you daughter is getting into the painting hobby, it might wind up saving you money on all the other models you would have to buy
    Thanks eki!

I think I've finally figured out out how attach and position the wheels to the tank. At the moment the wheels (and tracks) are still removable for painting purposes, but the wheels are stable and the tracks run smoothly and properly through the hull, so that's a win.

Here are the positioning lugs I added to the bottom of the hull, the wheel mount fits in between those:

Here is the current state of the tank:

This pretty much means that the major work on the tank is done, so now I'm starting on the smallest details: the skirts & bolts around the tank.
    I superglued the skirts to the side plates, and used some water to soften them and give them the curve:

Here they are on the tank.