gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 23
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Hey thanks SaintToad, i appeciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
    WHaaaaat!!! i had no idea this was a scratch build....no words at all.... just incredible...

Congradulations you are amazing.
    Thank you Clouds, I appreciate it! Like Saint Toad points out, almost everything I do is scratchbuilt, including some of the figures.

I do own a couple of bits of GW plastic, mostly space marines and tyranid off ebay (which reminds me of something else I want to scratchbuild), but the vehicles are out of my wallet's reach. $175 for a Fire Raptor? I still have to put my kids through college lol

Gorby u are a multitalented mutha!!! Such a fun and eye opening thread mate. Really upper upper deck type content. Always a pleasure .

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Gorby u are a multitalented mutha!!! Such a fun and eye opening thread mate. Really upper upper deck type content. Always a pleasure .
    Thanks as always BlookASmedium!

I have now taken the final set of photos and put her up for voting:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/445358

There are some more photos up on my artstation page:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Pm3r1L

Still working on the photography skills

well done. the finished thing looks grand.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

My Instagram - where I post pictures every now and again https://www.instagram.com/coyotepaints/

Nicely done Gorb! Only thing I would say is you should have included a shot of the underside of the fire raptor as well

Voted and comment left for your awesome raptor project!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    well done. the finished thing looks grand.
    Thank you very much Coyotebreaks!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Nicely done Gorb! Only thing I would say is you should have included a shot of the underside of the fire raptor as well
    Thanks ekipage! Yeah, I agree with you. Hindsight is 20-20...
    I did add a link to the artstation page for the bird, but yeah a proper photo would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Voted and comment left for your awesome raptor project!
    Thanks Graishak, I appreciate your support!

--

So it is time to buckle down and tackle the paint job on the dreadnought diorama. Last night I started refining the sketch with some white and grey ink through the airbrush, and then mixed up a warm orange with red, yellow, grey and burnt umber to add color to the lower section and white, blue and grey ink for the top section.

It is a bit of a mission to paint everything in situ, so I take it apart and paint bits separately. However this means that some things are too blue, for example the soldier's hand, the plasma cannon and the servo skull reflect too much blue light, they should be colored more warm orange.
    Also the blue lighting is too fuzzy and warm, it needs to be colder (greener?) and be much more directional with less bleeding.

So this is a rough first step, and I will have to refine it quite a bit It is a bit daunting, because I have three light sources and there won't be much room for colors.

But hey, nothing like jumping into the deep end right?

The second picture is with the cloche bell on, this is how I will display the diorama in the end.

Brilliant! I love the two color direction you're taking in, it definitely add some character to the scene.
    Maybe more contrast is needed (top mark more the light source from above)?

Where did you found the cloche? I'm looking for something like this for a couple of minis I intend to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Brilliant! I love the two color direction you're taking in, it definitely add some character to the scene.
    Maybe more contrast is needed (top mark more the light source from above)?

Where did you found the cloche? I'm looking for something like this for a couple of minis I intend to offer.
    Thanks Dexter! Yeah I was playing with painting this up in a detailed way, but I always kept coming back to the two color starkly lit osl job, I just think it tells a much more focused story.

Please hit me up with more suggestions and comments. It definitely needs a lot more contrast - this is just the first night's sketch, to see where I need to go from here.

The problems I see going forward is how to pull (for example) the dreadnought into focus, away from the wall behind it, but still having enoughtfocus on the pilot inside. There is a lot of detail in the scene, I am a bit worried it will be too much and the focus will get lost.

The cloche is from Ikea. Cheap, like me

I like the cloche usage. Did you just get lucky and it fits perfectly or did you plan that one out?

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    I like the cloche usage. Did you just get lucky and it fits perfectly or did you plan that one out?
    Haha! Let's just say I took a couple of photos of the cloche while visiting Ikea once. With a ruler held up next to it
    So yes, guilty as charged your honor - this one was premeditated.

thanks for the answer @gorb! And I sure you'll do a perfect job on the paint side!

Nice tutorial on toadChapel's blog btw, really interesting

Thanks Dex, that tutorial was super fun to do. It went super quick as well: I guess since there is not much to do wrong, there is no excuse not to do it

I'll be taking my time with the dreadnought dio though, but I'm trying to be brave and not over-think it too much

And just because I can't stand having just one project going at a time, here is another one I started last weekend: a scratchbuilt Sabre Strike Tank.

I aim to finish this one as quick as I can, given my experience with building the Land Raider and the Fire Raptor, and with minimal modifications to the stock Patoroch template. Here are some photos of the build process:

I started with some heavy chipboard for the basic hull, then used index card for the wheel hubs (since there are many of them, they don't need so much individual strength). The tank treadmaster was built from the basic paper template using heavy chipboard & cotton swab plastic bits, and then cast in resin.

Hi Gorb, I drifted away from CMoN last April, not long after you started the Fire Raptor, so on coming back now and getting that sudden 'finished article reveal' is just jaw dropping!! I know I'm a couple of weeks behind in celebrating your achievement but it's never too late to praise an absolutely stunning success. Those last on the bench shots look so real and have such 'presence' that I half expected a shot showing the damage from the bench collapsing under several hundred (thousand?) tons of armoured behemoth! Confess I made a b-line straight to the finished Raptor but I'll certainly be looking your entire thread... you are a true artist sir!

Oh yeah! The next scratch built project. Looking forward to see this growing!

And just like that, you started your own mini factory of imperium vehicules... The emperor must be proud!

This new project looks really nice, I'm looking forward to see how it'll go.

its great to see some colour on the dreadnaught dio. your off to great strart on the tank. looking forward to seeing that project unfold
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

My Instagram - where I post pictures every now and again https://www.instagram.com/coyotepaints/