gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 38
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

The emperor may be pride of you my child. That one hell of a landraider you have here!

Wow I love the weathering on this tank! Feels really in world and awesome. Nice job mate!

Quote Originally Posted by metalasmedium View Post
    Some one is on a roll... i am impressed at the ease you seems to devour projects, i am jealous! You inspire me to do something with my necron, putting a backdrop!!
    Thank you very much! Weird, I always feel like I make the slowest progress - I can only work on these a couple of hours a week.
    By all means, get that backdrop in! Sometimes working on the diorama/backdrop gets me inspired for the model again.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Land raider looks great there Gorb! Very effective touch-up to the piece!
    Thanks ekipage, yeah I am really happy with it now. I've learned just enough to bump it up a level

Quote Originally Posted by Kallfa View Post
    Wait... what?? You just finished the tetsuork and a f****** landraider spawn a few days after . You inspire respect Gorb !
    Thanks man, but no - this Land Raider was the first model I built, in 2018. It was the first thing I posted here, I was pretty happy with it, but the details / paintjob on it was very amature.
    I've now been able to give it a bit of a makeover, and improve a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    The emperor may be pride of you my child. That one hell of a landraider you have here!
    Thank you kindly my friend! For the emperor!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuentes View Post
    Wow I love the weathering on this tank! Feels really in world and awesome. Nice job mate!
    Thanks Fuentes, I am very happy you like it!

Here is a comparison with the original model (white background), and the upgraded edition (black background):

Wow! What an improvement! Hot off the press once, now the veteran unit! Great stuff my friend!

That land raider looks ace! all the little extras really add to authenticity. Love Ork Batman, is that all modelled from scratch? and Orkira turned out great too!
    You've given me the inspiration to start doing a bit of putty modelling myself, which has given me a deeper appreciation of the stuff you produce

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Wow! What an improvement! Hot off the press once, now the veteran unit! Great stuff my friend!
    Thanks! yeah, that's what 2 years of the forever war does to units

Quote Originally Posted by maxwin View Post
    That land raider looks ace! all the little extras really add to authenticity. Love Ork Batman, is that all modelled from scratch? and Orkira turned out great too!
    You've given me the inspiration to start doing a bit of putty modelling myself, which has given me a deeper appreciation of the stuff you produce
    Thank you maxwin, i really appreciate your kind feedback!
    To answer, yes, all of these are scratchbuilt from paper & card, bits of wire and so forth, and lots of sculpey, greenstuff and apoxy sculpt.
    I do own a couple of "original" GW minis, but some of the concepts in my head are hard to realise with just these.
    Enjoy!

And merry Christmas everyone!

Blog Entries

It's almost like it's gone from factory line to war hardened veteran!

Cracking stuff, gorb!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini7673 View Post
    It's almost like it's gone from factory line to war hardened veteran!

Cracking stuff, gorb!
    Thanks mate, much appreciated!

Happy new year everyone, hope 2021 is a year of recovery for all of us.

I've been working on and off on the Joe Pineapples sculpt, mostly because I got stumped on the furry trim on the collar of his coat. I tried a couple of different methods to reproduce the look of the fur, but it all just ended up looking like a sponge
    Not very flattering.

But today I think I found a way to make it look like I want it to, so now progress can continue.
    The cloak itself still needs a bit of work, the bare grey apoxy you can see in the photos serve as armature for the sculpey, which I use to make the folds in the cloth with.

In the meantime I did make a succesful cast from the original sculpey model, which means I could now add better pins for holding the parts together, and see where the figure needs to be modified to make castings easier.
    I also still need to add a fair bit of detail - in the reference image, Joe is wearing a corset, stockings and gloves.

My plan is to finish up the current bare model, make a mold of that, and then do the full-blown model with cape, and make a mold of that.

Last edited by gorb; 01-24-2021 at 03:03 AM.

What a fantastik and imposing sculpt my man. You always come to the party ready to inspire and intrigue !!! And I’ve never ,not once, have I NOT felt those two things looking upon your incredible work. The sculpts you crate are always a treat.

great looking job on the cape and the fur collar for it. I am envious of your skill at sculpting

Really like how far you have come since 2018 and it is very noticable in the before and after pictures of the veichle.

/k
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

I think the feathers looks ok now, for me anyway. Just had an idea, maybe if you look at GreenstuffWorld stuff, they have an extensive range of sculpting tools and rolls, maybe there is something for you there.

The Landraider is really good dude, the difference between the 2 pictures is insane! Great progress and I really love the weathering. ABC Warriors though!! You obviously need to do Mek-quake

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    What a fantastik and imposing sculpt my man. You always come to the party ready to inspire and intrigue !!! And I’ve never ,not once, have I NOT felt those two things looking upon your incredible work. The sculpts you crate are always a treat.
    Thank you so much John, it makes me happy to share my work with people like you around

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    great looking job on the cape and the fur collar for it. I am envious of your skill at sculpting
    Thank you my friend, I appreciate the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by Kretcher View Post
    Really like how far you have come since 2018 and it is very noticable in the before and after pictures of the veichle.
    /k
    Thank you very much Kretcher - gotta keep up with the top work in the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by metalasmedium View Post
    I think the feathers looks ok now, for me anyway. Just had an idea, maybe if you look at GreenstuffWorld stuff, they have an extensive range of sculpting tools and rolls, maybe there is something for you there.
    Thanks Jocelyn, glad you like them! And thanks for the GSW tip, I'll have a look into their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthmarsh View Post
    The Landraider is really good dude, the difference between the 2 pictures is insane! Great progress and I really love the weathering. ABC Warriors though!! You obviously need to do Mek-quake
    Thanks Darthmarsh, I'm glad you like them. Haha! Yeah, I'll have to do a bunch of these guys now

After a lot of sanding, priming, re-sanding and re-priming, I'm now finished with the sculpting of Vanilla Joe Pineapples. He is ready to be covered in a thick blanket of silicon so I can make some casts of the pieces.
    Here are some pictures of him. There are a couple of last-minute sanding spots where I didn't bother re-priming, only because he will serve as that master model for the mold.

From one of the cast pieces I will make Chocolate Joe Pineapples, by sculpting on the leather corset, gloves and adding the fur cloak.

That came out sweet Chris! Looking forward to see hoe the pours come out. I'll have to admit I had to look up Joe Pineapples. I was shocked to see he was JD character, I used to follow JD and well, I suppose I stopped before he was introduced. And the Land Raider? Home Run, grand slam really. The improvements are top quality.

WIP: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ramblings-spot
    Blog: http://blog.coolminiornot.com/blog.p...6-Flaming-Tiki
    “A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
    Leonardo da Vinci

Awesome sculpting, I too had to look up the character but you certainly have done him justice!

@Maxwin: Lol - me too ;-)
    I was firstly thinking, that I've missed another movie ^^
    @Gorb: As usual, you're proofing big scuplting skills!

Pretty amazing figure you've done here.
    Really match the 2099 A.D. style.

Hi everyone, sorry for my long absence. For some reason I was being blacklisted, and couldn't post. I contacted CMON and managed to get them to sort it out with the 3rd party service provider.
    Still don't know why it happened, whether someone had reported me (for what, I can't think) or whether the way I post (all at once on everyone's threads ) marked me as spammy or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Tiki View Post
    That came out sweet Chris! Looking forward to see hoe the pours come out. I'll have to admit I had to look up Joe Pineapples. I was shocked to see he was JD character, I used to follow JD and well, I suppose I stopped before he was introduced. And the Land Raider? Home Run, grand slam really. The improvements are top quality.
    Thanks Tiki! Glad you like him. Yeah Joe Pineapples and the rest of the ABC Warriors have their own storyline in 2000ad. I think they kinda live in the same universe as JD, but they don't mingle, and I think ABC takes place in a farther future than JD.
    The leader of the Warriors, Hammerstein, makes a cameo in Stallone's Judge Dredd movie. But he looks and acts like an ape (the droid, I mean lol) so not the thoughtful philosophic killing machine that he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwin View Post
    Awesome sculpting, I too had to look up the character but you certainly have done him justice!
    Thank you maxwin, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    @Maxwin: Lol - me too ;-)
    I was firstly thinking, that I've missed another movie ^^
    @Gorb: As usual, you're proofing big scuplting skills!
    Thank you Graishak, that is very gracious of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Pretty amazing figure you've done here.
    Really match the 2099 A.D. style.
    Thanks Dexter! Yeah, I based him pretty much directly on that cover by Kev Walker, who is one of my favourite artists.
    If I managed to capture some of that look & feel that Kev draws, then I'm super happy!

In the meantime, I've managed put the pieces into mold boxes and make some molds. The first cast looks good, except for one spot on his left elbow - which will need a new mold to fix I think, we'll see.

Here's the first cast without any cleanup. I'm using a cut mold, after watching a lot of Robert Talone's videos on YT, and this is now my preferred method. A lot less work than a two-piece mold,
    with better (or no!) mold lines + flash, and I have the chance to make round molds, which seal better with rubber bands than box molds.
    The setup takes a bit more thinking though, because I have to plan the cut and pretty much go in blindly with the knife and try not to ruin it...

Cast in the left, original on the right: