gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 26
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Wow those termie's are cool! awesome you can make more so quickly!
    Nice work. I love the bulkiness of them!

tee

Excellence in hobby artistry. Never EVER ceasing to amaze me.

Tanks turned out amazingly as usual. love the fact that you did some chipping effect on cardboard!

Termies have an amazing old school look to them - remember having one of the original metal terminators back in the day and these definitely remind me of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee888 View Post
    Wow those termie's are cool! awesome you can make more so quickly!
    Nice work. I love the bulkiness of them!
    tee
    Thanks Tee! Gad you like 'em. Yeah that's the cool thing about making molds, you can churn out copies pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Excellence in hobby artistry. Never EVER ceasing to amaze me.
    Thanks John, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Tanks turned out amazingly as usual. love the fact that you did some chipping effect on cardboard!
    Termies have an amazing old school look to them - remember having one of the original metal terminators back in the day and these definitely remind me of those.
    Thanks Hairster! After all is said and done (& primed), the cardboard is just the canvas, like plastic. So no magic there, I'm just trying to emulate all the awesome models & techniques that I find online...

Yup, the original sketch I did was drawn specifically after seeing a beautiful batch of the old-skool termies over at House of Queeg:
    https://houseofqueeg.wordpress.com/2...40k-deathwing/

I loved how heavy and lumbering the sculptor made the suits look, the rounded shapes, the high shoulders and the slumped posture.
    That's what I based my sculpt on, so if others see that same aspect in my sculpt then I think I've succeeded in the main goal.

I'm trying to not make a 1:1 copy of the GW termies though, more something of an alternate universe version. I'm already thinking / worrying about a color scheme for them lol

These last few weeks, and especially the last few days, have been pretty draining, I've found it hard to do more than just sit around. I hope everyone is doing ok.

I've haven't progressed much on the power armor guys, but instead have picked up the original scratch built papercraft dreadnought that I built previously, and started making a base for it.
    This one will be a swamp:

I made a little search light for him, and built a plasma weapon. Lots of potential for some lighting effects here, I think.

Thanks for looking and stay safe.

Whoooooa what a project

Hi Chris,
    your dreadnought project is looking great!
    And nice to read, that I'm not the only guy having
    a lack of motivation these days... the last three
    days I can copy/paste ^^

The dreadnought is incredible and so is the base keep up the good work. Try not to get bogged down we can keep each other motivated dude. It's a solitary hobby that most general public don't understand, Well done.
    Last edited by CPTDanielSan; 06-06-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Nice! That base is looking really good, can't wait to see this all painted up!

Blog Entries

I know you, bud, you’ll find some new creative angle or start a new project or finish an old one. You can’t keep an imagination like yours down.

Whoooooa what a project
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Nice! That base is looking really good, can't wait to see this all painted up!
    Thanks eki!

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Hi Chris,
    your dreadnought project is looking great!
    And nice to read, that I'm not the only guy having
    a lack of motivation these days... the last three
    days I can copy/paste ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by CPTDanielSan View Post
    The dreadnought is incredible and so is the base keep up the good work. Try not to get bogged down we can keep each other motivated dude. It's a solitary hobby that most general public don't understand, Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    I know you, bud, you’ll find some new creative angle or start a new project or finish an old one. You can’t keep an imagination like yours down.
    Thanks Graishak, DanielSan, SaintToad. I'm privileged in having been able to work from home during the virus outbreak, so I can spend time with my kids and not have any loss of income or suffer in any other way. Being asked to stay at home isn't really a big deal for me (or any of us in this forum, I think).
    But it is heartbreaking to see so much pain, not only in the US but all over the world.

--

I added a first lighting pass using white ink over black primer, and then glazed in some color with the airbrush, trying to see if I can make the scene look like what I have in my head.
    So far so good. I'm planning to paint the dread as a Black Templar unit, hunting for orks on a swamp world.

OH WOW I love the light effect from his shoulder and black templar you say? One of my favorites I'm amazed at the amount of work you get done so fast and high quality .

Blog Entries

​always telling a story!

​always telling a story!
    Yep I don't play the game, so for me the interesting part is the story, the characters, the look & feel.

Quote Originally Posted by CPTDanielSan View Post
    OH WOW I love the light effect from his shoulder and black templar you say? One of my favorites I'm amazed at the amount of work you get done so fast and high quality .
    Thanks DanielSan! Yep, I haven't painted black armor before, so this will be a learning experience. Glad you like the lighting, I think it came out pretty good for a first shot.
    It is of course all airbrush work, just aiming a blast of white ink over the black primed scene the way I would shine a flash light.
    Then some ink over top to color everything in.

The next steps will be harder, because I have to add some base colors to the dread without destroying any of the lighting...
    Speaking of which, here is some progress shots:

I painted the shoulders a bone white then washed with Payne's gray ink, to make it colder and look like the dread is walking around the swamp in the dark.
    The armor has blue-grey edge highlighting for the same reason.
    The piece of red cloth (left behind by the target that the dread is hunting) should look semi-see-through, as if the light is hitting it hard enough.

Of course I still need to add metallics, insignia and some more weathering. Plus the actual water of the swamp. So this is far from done.

Comments and suggestions are welcome please!

Blog Entries

Nailed the effect of the light coming through the cloth.

Well done on the object lighting!!!!

Man that’s coming together wonderfully!!! I love it man

Great work on the Dready! That osl is looking really good

Nailed the effect of the light coming through the cloth.
    Thanks man, it's always nerve wracking for me to post some new experiment. There's a chance it might fall flat

Well done on the object lighting!!!!
    Thank you BaM!

Quote Originally Posted by Sik Willy View Post
    Man that’s coming together wonderfully!!! I love it man
    Cheers SW, glad you like it, and thanks for stopping by!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Great work on the Dready! That osl is looking really good
    Thank you equipage, much appreciated!

Been working on the dread for the last couple of days, adding some iconography and trying to refine the OSL. I also added some green moss to the tree trunk sticking out of the mud.
    The dread is now embedded in the mud, I guess if it was a real swamp and a thing of that immense size and weight tried to walk in it, it would sink very quickly and leave no trace. But hey, this is an alien swamp.

I went ahead and added some tape and silly putty around the border of the dio, and then dribbled in some brown colored clear epoxy, to round off the swamp setting.
    Now comes the dreadful wait, to see if I mixed the stuff properly and that it will actually set.
    Well, there's no going back now

(Sorry for the awful pictures, but I just got a new phone and I have to figure out what is going on with the settings)

Stay safe and thanks for stopping by.

Epoxid is giving he base a real swamp feeling. Looking great Chris!