gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Big improvement with the face surgery. They do that a lot in L.A.?

Nice bit of sculpting there Gorb! I wish I had the patience and skills to do that.

Nice work on the sculpt!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    ROFL

Sculptor extrordinaire.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Ha! I think they do

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Nice bit of sculpting there Gorb! I wish I had the patience and skills to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Nice work on the sculpt!
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Sculptor extrordinaire.
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words!

Painting the pilot: lots of layering, trying to get the pilot up to scratch.
    Because he will be visible in the Fire Raptor, front and center, I want to make sure he looks... presentable.

Layering and blending in red is hard for me. The red becomes soft, like a pastel. Very matte. I hope it will blend together better once
    I add some varnish to it. The white shoulder pads, surprisingly, came out almost exactly like I wanted.

I think the green eye came out pretty well, it seems to pop fairly well.

Comments, critique and advice welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lookin good Gorb! It might be my computer, but the eye seems a little too dark on the outside part but I know that monitors can vary with color so if it looks right to you disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Lookin good Gorb! It might be my computer, but the eye seems a little too dark on the outside part but I know that monitors can vary with color so if it looks right to you disregard.
    Thanks for the comment eki! To be clear, you are referring to the green eye lens, correct?
    Do you mean the outside border is too dark? I purposefully darklined it before starting on the reflections/refraction in the lens, since I wanted to increase the contrast there. Like I said, I'm not much of a painter, so I'm stumbling along this path, and I need some direction!

On the bust-sculpt project, I started on the armor plating: This is a paper/card armature that I am using to create a shell of apoxie sculpt.
    The apoxie sculpt is easy to sand and cut once it cures, so it gives me a chance to polish and shape it once I cut it loose from the rest of the armature.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gorb, sorry, yes I was talking about the green eye. H
    Gorb, sorry, yes I was talking about the green eye lense. The black liner around the outside of the eye is fine. Here is what I meant based off of your picture: Name:  IMG_6387.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  33.1 KBI really like the bit in the yellow circle (the white to the tealish green), but then it seems to go from a greyish to black in the blue diamond area. That's why I said it may be a monitor color issue on my end as it looks grey to black on my monitor but in real life it might green. It also depends on what color green you were going for if you wanted to do a bright green I would add some more green in the diamond box area (if it isn't already). If you were going for darker green eye then it does look alright but maybe glaze over the white with some green until you just have a small area at the edge that goes to pure white (which would be the left side of the yellow circle).

Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed explanation eki! This is awesome, it is exactly the kind of feedback I crave, very much appreciated.
    If you don't mind, I'll take some better lit pictures of the eye, and try to implement what you have suggested.

I took another shot of the eye. It does look grey-ish, the green is very de-saturated, and the grey covers too much of the eye area:

So I cleaned it up: I darkened the back section, and glazed over the front with a darker green, then added lighter green to give a highlight.
    Please let me know if you have more suggestions!

I also worked on the freehand shoulder pad raven. I wanted to make this one a bit better, given that it will be visible in the cockpit:

Finally, the crew all together:

Not a painted my assssss!!!!!!

Very gracious flattery BaM
    Seriously, I have so much to learn from yourself and the other members on this forum, so I'll keep bugging all of you for critique!

Nice re-work on the eyes. I think they look great! Nice job on the freehand as well

Yeah, the eye looks loads better with the rework. Your freehand isn't bad either.

Thanks khavor!

Did some more work on the bust armor:

This is all still armature. I'll sculpt the detail onto this with polymer clay.

Great correction on the eye lens of the pilot! The female sculpt is coming along nicely; and I keep checking back to see if you've gotten any progress done on the armor. It intrigues me to see what vision you've got, and what I can speculate it's gonna look like as a finished piece. Regardless, if she turns out anywhere near your paper airplane, she'll be stellar!

Keep it coming!

Thanks for the support DaBeebs!

Here is where I am currently at:

This is roughly posed, to get an idea for the overall shapes and relationships, before I forge on.

I'm working from a reference that caught my eye on Artstation:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ybKNnJ.

There are some seriously talented concept artists there...

Nice concept and execution
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.