gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 2
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

We were on vacation for a bit, so now I'm slowly starting back up on my current project.

I'm scratchbuilding a Fire Raptor gunship. You can see the buildlog here:
    http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/a...rsion-2-a.html
    Currently, the main fuselage is about 90% done, I've started priming the interior, so I'll be posting pictures of that soon.

Here is a WIP sculpting on the pilot: He has an armature of 24g wire, bulked out with kato klay and now I'm putting the detail on with greenstuff/apoxie sculpt.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Damn Gorb that shit is sweet! Really awesome octopus thing! Genius idea with those bases too. Think my favorite is the pilot. Looks perfect!

The helmet is really sweet although I’d sharpen up the edges on the rectangular cresty thingy ( technical term ) on his head. The green stuff on the chest looks good but looks a bit bulky. Could do with thinning down a little. It could just be the photo though or the fact it’s not finished and the head is really the only other point of reference.
    Please don’t take my comments harshly.... I mean everything as constructive criticism and we can’t improve without it. You certainly have better sculpting skills than me.

Gorb you really are undoubtedly one Uber MULTI TALENTED MUDDAH F@&@A!!! No lie true story!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StephanW0lf View Post
    Damn Gorb that shit is sweet! Really awesome octopus thing! Genius idea with those bases too. Think my favorite is the pilot. Looks perfect!
    Thanks StephanWolf! I dig the octopus too, it was fun to sculpt. Not being constrained by proportions gives the sculpt a lot of freedom. Still need to paint it though. Which is ok though, I'm about to start a painting phase again.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    The helmet is really sweet although I’d sharpen up the edges on the rectangular cresty thingy ( technical term ) on his head. The green stuff on the chest looks good but looks a bit bulky. Could do with thinning down a little. It could just be the photo though or the fact it’s not finished and the head is really the only other point of reference.
    Please don’t take my comments harshly....
    Thank you for your excellent critique bullfrog, much appreciated (and very welcome!). As mentioned I have a 50/50 mix of aves and greenstuff, so most of it should file down well enough where needed.
    I hear you about the chest being bulky. I've tried to keep it in check using a regular space marine as reference. I think it should start to look more in proportion once I get the shoulder pads, but let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Gorb you really are undoubtedly one Uber MULTI TALENTED MUDDAH F@&@A!!! No lie true story!!!
    BaM, you are too kind Thank you very much.

Top notch sculpting, gorb!

[QUOTE=gorb;878405]... I have a 50/50 mix of aves and greenstuff, so most of it should file down well enough where needed./QUOTE]
    Hi Gorb, great sculpting I really like your work. The 50/50 mix should also scrape well with a blade if you need to sharpen internal corners, sharpen detail or get to those hard to file places. That said, you have a destinctive effective style so this is not intended as an artistic judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Top notch sculpting, gorb!
    Thanks Saint Toad, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc-Zoff View Post
    Hi Gorb, great sculpting I really like your work. The 50/50 mix should also scrape well with a blade if you need to sharpen internal corners, sharpen detail or get to those hard to file places. That said, you have a destinctive effective style so this is not intended as an artistic judgement
    Thanks Doc Zoff! Yeah, the 50/50 mix works very well for "post-processing", it doesn't gum as much as straight green stuff.
    I'm pretty happy with it, it is becoming my favorite medium.

Oh, and by all means, judge. I'm still learning, so I appreciate it when people point out everything that I missed

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    ...Oh, and by all means, judge...
    Hi Gorb (I'll just mention here that my autocorrect thinks 'Gorb' should be 'Gorgeous'... could save embarrassment later).
    If you insist that I judge... I've since viewed your Scratchbuilt Land Raider and my judgement is "utterly awesome"!! This student would like to apologise for inferring doubt of the master!

Thanks Doc, I appreciate the kind words!

Here are some more in-progress shots of the pilot. I've added some details to the helmet, and of course bulked out the shoulder pads. I think they are about the right size, so once the putty hardens I'll add the final trim to them. Started on the hands too, this is the hardest part so far, and I think it will require the most finessing.

Own sculpted marines... wow... !
    It's one thing to assemble and paint, but another thing to build something from scratch.

Hey Gorb, just passing through,sculpting is a really a great way to challenge yourself. Keep going partner ,the rewards are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Own sculpted marines... wow... !
    It's one thing to assemble and paint, but another thing to build something from scratch.
    Thank you very much Graishak! I hope you are recovering well.

Quote Originally Posted by ADE70 View Post
    Hey Gorb, just passing through,sculpting is a really a great way to challenge yourself. Keep going partner ,the rewards are amazing.
    Cheers ADE70, thanks for the encouragement!

Recovering well - thanks for asking :-)

Hey graishak keep taking it easy with your physical stress and take it slow bud.
    gorby -always challenging yourself.
    Yet again wonderful sculpting eh!!!
    Last edited by BloodASmedium; 02-19-2019 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Recovering well - thanks for asking :-)
    Good to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Hey graishak keep taking it easy with your physical stress and take it slow bud.
    gorby -always challenging yourself.
    Yet again wonderful sculpting eh!!!
    Thanks BaM!

Here is the final space marine pilot. I plan to make a mold from him, then cast him to get the two ball turret gunners too.

Also, some photos of the current state of the interior panels, painted up. They are now varnished, ready for a final wash and a matte coat, then I can install them
    into the body of the Fire Raptor.

I finished up the interior panels and glued them into the body of the Fire Raptor chassis.

The images show overview and close up shots of some of the greeblies. I tried my best with OSL on the flux capacitor, but I'm not sure whether I pulled it off.
    Comments and critique welcome!

The last shot is from the open rear ramp into the interior, with the top hatch open.
    For better or worse, it looks exactly like I envisioned it, so I'm pretty pleased with myself

Default The Emperor's new clones

I broke out the silicone caulk, made a guerilla-style block mode from the pilot figurine, and cast it twice using Alumilite's Amazing casting resin, then primed the pulls.

They don't look too bad. A couple of little holes that I can still fill with PVA.
    Since these will be the gunners in the ball turrets of my Fire Raptor, they don't have to be perfect.

I'll make another cast for the pilot. For him, I've ordered some SmoothOn silicone, since he will be front and center I'm going to (at least try to) do it properly.

Wow, great job on the sculpted marines.
    The scratch build is completly crazy. Looks great!

I tried my best with OSL on the flux capacitor, but I'm not sure whether I pulled it off.
    Looks like glowing to me ^^
    You got the idea right. For OSL "be the light source" and look around what you can see ^^ Really excited to see where this is going

Hope all the hard work on the interiors will be visable in the end though.

Quote Originally Posted by CyAniDe View Post
    Wow, great job on the sculpted marines.
    The scratch build is completly crazy. Looks great!
    Thanks CyAniDe, much appreciated!

For OSL "be the light source" and look around what you can see
    Great tip, I hadn't thought of it that way... Cheers!

Hope all the hard work on the interiors will be visable in the end though.
    Yes, the front 2/3rds of the hull ceiling will be removable, which is why I spent some time prettying it all up.

This model will end up having around 6 hinged pieces plus the removable ceiling + swiveling ball turrets.
    So there is a lot of brainstorming and test-fitting going on, which is why it is taking me ages.
    And I may end up with a model that is too fragile to touch

But it keeps me out of trouble