gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 13
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Holy cow, you are talented, love your work!. The rust and ware work on that red ship is incredibly well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
    Holy cow, you are talented, love your work!. The rust and ware work on that red ship is incredibly well done.
    Thank you kindly Clouds!
    I got the inspiration by watching some of Night Shift's tutorials on YouTube.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNM...XBA9buLmJqYLdw
    He is an excellent painter and a great teacher.
    Of course, I still have a long way to go, but even with 20% skill you can get 80% of the benefits, just the way I like it

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Love this thread- it’s like watching a co behind the scenes make one of their models from start to finish !!! Great brilliant stuff going on!!!
    Thanks BaM, I love doing this so it is awesome to know that other people enjoy it too

The garage dread got a garage base.

The rim of the base wasn't taking paint so well, so I cut it away then sanded it up. The whole thing was given a pretty dark base coat.
    Here is the first take:

It was a bit dark, so I gave it drybrush to lighten it up, then gave the metal-y bits some more rust colors.
    Here is the complete unit. Still needs a couple of coats of matte varnish, it has an intense shine from the gloss coat I gave it before.
    Then of course, some better photos because these suck.

Buuuuuut.... I'm calling it done

Back to the wip: I decided to add another element to the dreadnought diorama. Can you guess what I'm attempting?

Great job with the dread. It’s got tons of personality and vintage kick-assness. It’s hard to imagine a project with more of your fingerprints on it.
    And... you’re making a servitor, obviously.

Extraordinary freehand work!
    And I like the basing - the metal pieces tie perfectly to that "used-look" of the robot.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Great job with the dread. It’s got tons of personality and vintage kick-assness. It’s hard to imagine a project with more of your fingerprints on it.
    And... you’re making a servitor, obviously.
    Thanks StToad! Wow, I've never considered that I might be developing a unique style, I'm much too amature still I'm still trying to emulate styles that appeal to me. Very kind comment, thank you.

And yes, you are close: I'm attempting to make a tech priest, who will oversee the dread's initiation rites.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Extraordinary freehand work!
    And I like the basing - the metal pieces tie perfectly to that "used-look" of the robot.
    Thank you Graishak, very much appreciated!

After spraying the garage dread with some Vallejo Premium matt varnish, I took some better photos using DIY lights.
    The mini is up for voting here:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/441621

So most of the weekend was spent building the DIY lights.
    I used some aluminum cake trays, then transplated the LED strips I had onto them.
    Kinda like what this guy did:
    * $40 DIY cake pan lights
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFON04_L3zk

BTW I'm in love with the Vallego matt varnish: this stuff knocks down shine like nothing I have ever seen, including Testors dullcote.

For example, I added a coat of the Vallejo to the Terminator I had posted before, and this knocked the shine back so that I could actually take a properly exposed photo without fear of having any reflection artifacts. Previously, even after the dullcote, I had to underexpose the model too much otherwise the reflections would obscure detail, but that meant I lost details in the shadows.

tldr; chuck your can of Testors, and get some Vallejo.

Nice! That varnish really did knock back the gloss and your termie is looking good! I tried the Vallejo and didn't care for it (glad to see it worked better for you than me), also tried the Army Painter one, wound up with AK Interactive's matte which I really like, but hey you work with what you like! Looking forward to seeing your progression on the tech priest!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Nice! That varnish really did knock back the gloss and your termie is looking good! I tried the Vallejo and didn't care for it (glad to see it worked better for you than me), also tried the Army Painter one, wound up with AK Interactive's matte which I really like, but hey you work with what you like! Looking forward to seeing your progression on the tech priest!
    Thanks! The guy at the hobby shop suggested very think layers of the Vallejo varnish, and it worked for me.
    I'll definitely give the AK Interactive one a go. I guess there is never such a thing as enouggh matt

Made some progress on the tech priest's face last night. It is pretty interesting work, the face isn't supposed to be symmetrical, and of course not human, but there is more detail and ridges.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gorb, if you do try it, it is the AKI Ultra Matte

Nice work on Tech Priest head

Gorb, if you do try it, it is the AKI Ultra Matte

Nice work on Tech Priest head
    Cheers for that, yes I've been reading some reviews of the AKI Ultra Matte, seems like it is the bomb.

-

I've done some more work on the Tech Priest's head, and some work on a servo skull.
    I did try and start on the body of the Tech Priest, but I discovered that the armature I had built was too small after finding some proper reference photos, so I had to build a new armature.

BTW the garage dread is up for voting here, if you haven't already. I'd really appreciate some c&c.
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/441621

I've also put him up on putty&paint:
    https://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/22741

And also artstation:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1nrva3

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone that voted on the garage dready, I appreciate it!

Been working on the tech priest, it is taking shape: attached is a picture of the current state.

This is a fairly complicated model to scratchbuild, and I've been making many small sub-assemblies. That means lots of waiting time to get the epoxies to cure.
    As you can see one of the servo skulls has found a home.

I plan to add more bulk to the tech arms, as well as finish off his human hands. One hand gets to hold an open the book, the other a thurible (I had to look that up) on a chain. One tech arm gets to hold a long staff, the other will just end in a large admech-style open claw / drill.
    So only a couple more days...

In the meantime I've decided to rebuild the diorama's backdrop from XPS foam, so the OTHER thing I've been doing is building a foam cutter. More on that later though

How the ferk !!!!?:-0

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    How the ferk !!!!?:-0
    I've mostly been posting small updates of this little guy on my instagram. Posting here has been tricky, there seems to be some database clunkiness every now and then.

Been building a DIY foam cutter recently, because hobby. And because buying one (at least a decent one) can set you back about $100. Which I don't have lying around. I'm using it to build a new base for the dreadnought dio, given the new ideas and layout that I have.

If you are interested, I've detailed the foam cutter build on my blog: https://vigilantesculpting.blogspot....am-cutter.html

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    Posting here has been tricky, there seems to be some database clunkiness every now and then.
    Huh, I have been hardly able to log in the past 3 or 4 days and forget about seeing what others have posted up. Nice job building the foam cutting table. Doesn't the wire get hot enough to catch the MDF on fire though at that temp?

Nice work on the Tech dude

Awesome stuff gorb as usual, love your garage approach to everything. Few bits of timber and hardboard, an old shelf bracket and bang....foamcutter!

It's what this hobby is all about.

Thanks for the DIY Foam cutter @gorb, I'm thinking of making one myself these days...
    And looking forward to see more updates on this new diorama!

Huh, I have been hardly able to log in the past 3 or 4 days and forget about seeing what others have posted up. Nice job building the foam cutting table. Doesn't the wire get hot enough to catch the MDF on fire though at that temp?
    Nice work on the Tech dude
    Thanks eki! I made sure to make the hole in the MDF large enough so that the wire doesn't touch it. But no, the wire gets pretty hot, but there is no "momentum" to it, so I don't think you'll even be able to set fire to a piece of paper. The foam melts very easily though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Awesome stuff gorb as usual, love your garage approach to everything. Few bits of timber and hardboard, an old shelf bracket and bang....foamcutter!
    It's what this hobby is all about.
    Thank you kindly Hairster! Yup, that's me, Garage Gorb I get a kick out of making the tools as much as i get a kick out of using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Thanks for the DIY Foam cutter @gorb, I'm thinking of making one myself these days...
    And looking forward to see more updates on this new diorama!
    No problem mate, hope the foam cutter info points you in the right direction. It's crazy what you can pay for a foam cutter, given that it is basically a $0.02 piece of wire strung fed by a brick power supply. Proxxon is making a mint...
    Thanks, the diorama is coming along, but slowly...

--

BTW, for anyone that is interested, I sent an email to chernann@coolminiornot.com (the email address listed on the Database Error page), asking for some info
    on these errors. He basically came back and said that "[coolminiornot] were getting crawled extensively by IP addresses from China, so [they've] blocked them and that seems to have resolved the issue". So these annoying errors should now disappear.