gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 10
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

This is insane! Look really good so far. Keep it going.

Yeah, that is the stuff! Looks amazing in the full pics, nice job on the chipping effects!

Thanks Hairster, eki and Dexter!
    Much appreciated

I haven't made much progress the last couple of days though, my wife was out of town, and looking after the kids is a 120% job for me so I have been too tired in the evenings to even consider hobbying. Plus my daughter really wants her Hulk figurine finished, and the other two want me to do different ones for them, so any spare time has been devoted to that.

We will be away for a bit of a summer break over the next two weeks, then I will dive back into it!

I committed the original sin: I primed my panzer girl using a rattle can.
    Long story short, and note to future self: don't try to take shortcuts. Use an acrylic primer through the airbrush.

This sounds more melodramatic than it is, I am just a bit angry with myself for being impatient.
    The model isn't ruined, but I had to remove some of the spray paint and this caused a softening of the underlying sculpey, and a perceivable loss of detail.

Anyways, I've put her aside for now, and to get my mojo back I've started back on my dreadnought diorama.
    Something fresh and nasty

This is still wip of course: he needs a face at the bare minimum, and the outstretched arm needs a hand.
    Then some bandages where the life support system's pipes interface with his scarred and broken remains.
    The rest of the internals also needs more piping, bolts and some fluid reservoirs and other stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You’ll get right back on the steed mate.knowing your work ethic and tenacity combined with the tremendous amount of skill. Btw the remains and wiring of the sculpt work on the dreads innards is quite frankly on the mark brother . I love watching you refine and the refine your work through the stages -it is very informative and exceptional to witness.

sorry to hear about the Panzer Girl, hopefully you don't have too many problems fixing the issues.
    Really like the work you have done on the dread pilot so far!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    You’ll get right back on the steed mate.knowing your work ethic and tenacity combined with the tremendous amount of skill. Btw the remains and wiring of the sculpt work on the dreads innards is quite frankly on the mark brother . I love watching you refine and the refine your work through the stages -it is very informative and exceptional to witness.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    sorry to hear about the Panzer Girl, hopefully you don't have too many problems fixing the issues.
    Really like the work you have done on the dread pilot so far!
    Thanks BaM & ekipage! Your encouragement is very welcome. Panzer girl isn't a complete writeoff, but I'm very disappointed with my impatience. Plus I'm a bit afraid to reprime her, because it'll show up the defects which I know are there.

Some more work on the dreadnought diorama: Sculpted the face and some cloth bandage around the wounds.
    Added two torches. The outstretched hand still needs some refinement - the fingers are hard to sculpt with completely soft putty, so I'm doing it in stages.

Started making a modified Adeptus Mechanicus skull, this will form an integral part of the diorama.

The gear is made from an interesting part I found in the garage, in a box of old parts.
    The skull still needs the mechanised parts on the left hand side (lens eye, some piping and nuts and bolts etc.)

The idea is that a rusty chain will drop from the skull's mouth (which is why it is open).
    The upper half of the dreadnought's body, will be attached to the chain, as if it is being lowered onto the waiting pilot
    below, in order to seal him into his new (or old?) mechanical dreadnought body.

Extremely grimdark! Love the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Extremely grimdark! Love the idea.
    Thanks Saint Toad!

Picked up a brush again this weekend to continue on the Raptor. The ball turrets are now almost complete with the gunners: the gun barrels still need some heat scorched treatment, and they will get a white racing stripe down the middle (to fit in with the rest of the Raptor), but otherwise they are done.

They kinda remind me of the drones from Oblivion...

Great scene you are creating with the development of the Dreadnaught dio! Ball turrets looking aces!

Just incredible work !!!!

It coming along nicely!

Thanks for stopping by guys. BaM, eki and Dexter, I appreciate the kind words!

I'm in the process of building the two arms for the dreadnought, but nothing much to show yet, just cutting and gluing.

In the meantime, added some heat scorching to the Fire Raptor ball turret barrels, and got started on the engines.

I like the look of the engines. The exposed engine parts on the top of the model will get a similar treatment.

Here are some poses with the model itself:

Default Dreadnought diorama progress

Making some progress on the dreadnought diorama.

First off, did some work on the power fist and the plasma cannon.
    The fingers on the power fist was done with mini pegs. The coils on the plasma cannon was done with wire.

Just to show how I do wiring, a short aside: being a type 1 diabetic, I have an insulin pump. This is attached to me 24/7 via a thin vinyl tube. The tube (and some other gear) needs to be replaced every 5 days or so. Needless to say I have a large collection of small diameter vinyl tubing, perfect for hobby needs

I cut short pieces of cotton swab tubing, glue these onto the ends of a short piece of vinyl tubing, then stick some thin gauge copper wire into the tubing.
    By poking small holes into the paper part, I can glue the finished part into the plasma gun.

Also worked on the cog mechanicum skill symbol:

Here is a shot of the whole diorama, showing the current layout. To keep the hanging faceplate of the dreadnought stable I have to use two pieces of chain, so having the chain feed from the mouth of the cog mechanicum isn't really possible. So I have to figure out a different way to do this.

Still todo is to redo the pilot's open hand (it is too large wrt his face), and add all sorts of pipes and tubing coming from the back wall and feeding into the waiting dreadnought. That should tie together the theme... then it is painting time!

Looks good. This is gonna be epic!
    I love the idea of adding pipes from hte back wall.
    Do you plane to add some mecanic/electronic pieces on the back wall too? to add some feeling of assembly line (even if it's kind of a ceremonial scene).

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Looks good. This is gonna be epic!
    I love the idea of adding pipes from hte back wall.
    Do you plane to add some mecanic/electronic pieces on the back wall too? to add some feeling of assembly line (even if it's kind of a ceremonial scene).
    Thanks Dex! Yes, the bare walls still need some work, and I was thinking of adding a servo skull or two, hovering around and doing whatever-it-is-that-servo-skulls-do. And you are right, the idea I have in my head is that of a mechanical ceremony, but one that takes place deep inside an isolated crypt, not out in the open surrounded by crowds.

Really great job on this dio so far and great use of bits and pieces to put it together! I know it could be difficult, but maybe something to look into down the line, like filling that clear tube (on the gun) with some UV reactive fluid, such as the stuff for liquid cooling computers. You would have to seal off both ends so it doesn't evaporate and such but if you could get it under UV light it would look pretty cool

Looking great!
    could you cast the cog and put one on each side, then retain your original idea of having the chain coming out of them?