gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 16
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    its looking awesome can't wait to see some paint on it
    Thanks mate! I've finished priming all the parts, wanted to do a zenithal highlight last night.
    But the white ink I have is just so hard to spray, it does not seem to cover and just runs everywhere, no matter how low I get the pressure down on the compressor.

It hit me this morning that maybe the pigment in the ink settled to the bottom, which does seem to be possible as it is an FW ink which is pigment-based (instead of dye-based).

So I'll give it another go tonight, after giving the bottle a good stir. There is so much to learn in this hobby

Ha, I feel so stupid after this ink thing, but at least I managed to solve the problem myself

tl;dr: some inks need to be shaken too.

Turns out that after I stirred the ink properly, then added a ball-bearing and gave the bottle a good shake, the ink flowed beautifully out of the airbrush and covered super well. I was seriously thinking about giving up on this, trying to google "airbrush problems with ink", etc. until I turned blue in the face. Typical beginner's mistake

So I've put my sculpting tools away for a bit (physically away, otherwise I just absentmindedly pick them up), and collected my painting pile-of-shame:

You can see the Fire Raptor in there (haven't forgotten about her!), some space marines, even some of my first sculpts...
    My mission now is to get these done!

Made some progress on the huntress last night, trying to use the same colors as found on Saint Toad's base:
    Painting skin is *hard* for me. But I'm happy with the hue for now.

Also sketched in the dreadnought diorama. It is great to see the entire thing snap into focus with a bit of primer and ink.
    So far so good; looks like I should be able to push back some of the details, so that the entire thing is not so overwhelming, and still be able to place focus on the stuff I want.

glad you sorted out the airbrush issues. its looking great now that you have the lights defind. going to have loads of atmosphere.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

glad you sorted out the airbrush issues. its looking great now that you have the lights defind. going to have loads of atmosphere.
    Thanks Yeah, not so much an airbrush issue as a user issue! Still can't believe I didn't cop on to this much earlier.
    Been painting the huntress, man skin is hard to paint...

Finished up on the Huntress. I think she came out ok for my first proper attempt at painting skin.

I tried to give the skin a bit of shading, but not too much given that I chose very pale skin, to go with her red hair.

I do think her face could still do with some touch-up, it doesn't quite have the focus it needs right now.
    Maybe it's the eyes? All C&C welcome!

The only thing left to do is to put her on the base provided by Saint Toad, then I'll shoot some (better?) pictures!

Looks awesome man!! Turned out super cool- I think the skin tones look pretty darn good, if you wanted to touch up the face maybe add some shading or darker colors to help define her features, like cheekbones and such, that me be what you’re looking for. I’d mix a little gray or blue into whatever you were using for your base color, that should offer you a nice shadow hue

Quote Originally Posted by Sik Willy View Post
    Looks awesome man!! Turned out super cool- I think the skin tones look pretty darn good, if you wanted to touch up the face maybe add some shading or darker colors to help define her features, like cheekbones and such, that me be what you’re looking for. I’d mix a little gray or blue into whatever you were using for your base color, that should offer you a nice shadow hue
    Cheers Sik, thank you very much!
    I'll apply the blue/gray + skin mix into the shadows like you suggest, and revisit the eyes.

Here's a shoddy preview of the mini on the base:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

She's done: I followed Sik's advice about shading with a blue glaze in the shadows, and redid the eyes.
    I'm pretty pleased with how she came out, and of course the base is simply awesome!

You can vote for her here http://www.coolminiornot.com/442969
    and also on putty&paint: https://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/23248

nice work, the finished mini looks great. really suits that base. skin tones look great.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Great job so far on that dreadnaught dio and the female archer looks great on that base!

nice work, the finished mini looks great. really suits that base. skin tones look great.
    Thank you kindly Coyote. The skin was a really interesting paint job to attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Great job so far on that dreadnaught dio and the female archer looks great on that base!
    Thank you ekipage! Yes, I agree, the base is great. I am really glad @SaintToad sent it over to me.
    She is really meant to compliment the base, as opposed to the usual approach where the base compliments the figure

As I mentioned before, the skin painting is new for me, so if anyone has some comments or critique to give me, I would really appreciate it.
    Is this good for a beginner? If not, what do I need to focus on? And if so, how can I improve? What are your notes-to-self regarding painting skin?

Cheers guys

Slapping some paint on the tech priest: I am going for a more grimdark style paintjob here. Starting with some metallics and dirty oils.

Also made a base for it, some small gears and bits ripped from a printer, cork chunks, a couple of cast skulls and greenstuff pipes, and coated in sandy glue and grime. I added a dirty wash and some oils.

Also decided to start giving this guy some love.

Nice work on the forest huntress !
    And the prelights on the diorama already set the ambiance.
    Looking forward to see it finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Nice work on the forest huntress !
    And the prelights on the diorama already set the ambiance.
    Looking forward to see it finished.
    Thanks Dexter! I'm slowly working my way towards the diorama, learning as I'm going, so it won't be finished very soon.

Case in point: I've decided to paint the techpriest sculpt using mostly oils instead of acrylics.
    This is something I've been meaning to do for a while, and I think this is the perfect project for it.

So far I am loving it! The cloak is super easy to blend, because the oil stays malleable for so long. The washes flow into features like magic. The colors are super saturated.

I even attempted a little OSL on the eyes and I think it came out pretty good. Again, super easy with oils because they blend so easily, and if you add too much you just clean it up with spirits.

The base is pretty cool to work on, since the oils flow so easily, and don't dry up in your brush:

Close up of the servo skull and slush puppie blenders:

And finally the whole thing:

Still todo: refining the cloak and adding a wash to bind the figure to the base a bit more.

PS: Something @ADE70 pointed out to me is that the oily sheen comes from me not bleeding out the oil in the paint properly before applying to the model. This can be done by putting the paint onto an absorbent paper sheet and just waiting for a bit. The base has much less sheen because I used way more spirits to thin the paint on it.

I will knock down the shine with some matte varnish once finished though, and only bring back the shine in specific areas using some Future.

the priest is looking good. the oils have a good effect, suite the model.

the priest is looking good. the oils have a good effect, suite the model.
    Thanks Coyotebreaks! Yeah, I love how it is turning out. I need to do a bit more bumping of contrast, but I am also looking for that grimdark Blanche-style, so I guess more bleaching than actual highlighting

Having finished my idea of a mini on Saint Toad's forest base, I've removed the huntress from the base, packed the base up and shipped it to another artist on the forum. Delivery will be in the next 5 to 10 business days, let's see who it is then!

Here is a last shot of the huntress on the base. She will of course get a new permanent base, but only once I have finished my current paint run.

Speaking of paint run, here is the basecoated and zenithally (is that a word?) shaded grey knight terminator:
    The bottom parts are a tad too yellow/green for what I intend, so I might follow up with a red or a sepia ink.

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    Having finished my idea of a mini on Saint Toad's forest base, I've removed the huntress from the base, packed the base up and shipped it to another artist on the forum. Delivery will be in the next 5 to 10 business days, let's see who it is then!
    I know it isn't me, so what that only leaves like a thousand or so active members here (although I am guessing it is more like less than 15 or so)

Nice work on the Tech Priest! And the GK is looking cool, but see what you mean about the bottom being very green/yellowish

I know it isn't me, so what that only leaves like a thousand or so active members here (although I am guessing it is more like less than 15 or so)
    Well, I don't want to put too much pressure on people. We all have lots of projects going, and the last thing anyone needs is a heap of extra expectations dropped on them. So once they receive the base, and if they are ready to start work on it, then they can announce it themselves!

Nice work on the Tech Priest! And the GK is looking cool, but see what you mean about the bottom being very green/yellowish
    Thanks ekipage, appreciate it. I plan to color the base a very red/brownish martian color, so the reflected color from the bottom does need to be redder instead of greener. Luckily, (a) this is early on in the process and (b) it is a pewter mini so awesomely easy to strip with acetone (which would *eat* a plastic mini alive). If need be, I can just strip and restart!

Hey, I don’t know either! Haha!

Sorry no paint. I’ve been drawing monsters, as a few of you may have seen. I’m also trying to conjure an inspiring idea for my Eldritch Elf gift exchange. I’m listening if you have a good one!