gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 17
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Nice collaboration guys!!! Great job to you both!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Nice collaboration guys!!! Great job to you both!!!
    Thank you sir!

--

Painted up an Orkboy over the last two nights. I got this little guy when I bought a White Dwarf magazine in 2004 (I think). So he has been lying unpainted in my box for about 15 years, and has moved from Germany to South Africa to Australia and now to the US in the meantime...

How deep does your pile of unpainted shame go?

I gave him a dirty grimy look, by using inks over a zenithal basecoat.
    Base is still wip while I decide what to do.

Also reshaded the grey knight termy to better suit the reddish base he is going on.
    Now it doesn't look like he is standing on a field of grass

Bleh, these pictures remind me that the glass on my phone camera is cracked. I need to replace it.

Little update on the grey knight. Started adding the gold text and purity seals, with a black pin wash to bring out some detail and a slight edge highlight here and there.

The base is only basecoated right now, but I wanted to add it so the reflection can be seen.

Camera is still crappy, sorry about that. Hopefully I can get some better pictures soon.

I really like that Grey Knight, I like that brownish-gold (almost like bronze) you worked into it looks amazing. If I count the miniatures that I never painted when I first stopped doing it (hint it was a long time ago) then my pile of shame runs deeeeeeeep (the extra "e's" are for just how deep it truly is)

Nice job on the two properties metal possesses reflective,shiny!!!! Got both ...bang!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    I really like that Grey Knight, I like that brownish-gold (almost like bronze) you worked into it looks amazing. If I count the miniatures that I never painted when I first stopped doing it (hint it was a long time ago) then my pile of shame runs deeeeeeeep (the extra "e's" are for just how deep it truly is)
    Thanks ekipage! I think the two colors are contrasting pretty well, so I'm happy about it.
    And I guess we just have to play catchup on the pile of shame

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Nice job on the two properties metal possesses reflective,shiny!!!! Got both ...bang!!!!
    Thanks BaM! That's very encouraging! I'm furiously studying a lot of osl / sky earth metallic minis now, trying to figure out what makes the effective ones work.

Case in point: I'm trying for some osl on the eyes and powersword, so you can see where this should be going.
    I think I have enough *color* on the glowing eyes, but I need more shadow *around* them to set them off. Probably going to darken the lower half of the helmet to get that going, as well as brightening the centers of the eyes a bit.

The powersword is a whole different game. Here it is just basecoated. I should get some time this (long) weekend to do an attempted blend on it. And then the glow from the blade needs to bounce off the base and the right leg...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Beautiful work. Glowing eyes provide already an interesting focal point. Nice reflection effects btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallfa View Post
    Beautiful work. Glowing eyes provide already an interesting focal point. Nice reflection effects btw.
    Thanks Kallfa! Much appreciated.

--

I'm calling the techpriest done. Below are some pictures. As usual, C&C very welcome.

This is the techpriest figure I sculpted before, posed on a base I made from old printer parts and tubes and stuff, with some skulls and textured pipes thrown in, and covered in coffee grounds.

He was initially meant to be a part of the dreadnought sculpture, but I decided against putting him in there because it got a bit crowded.
    So I thought I'd paint him in a very grimdark style, using lots of oils as well.
    This is all very experimental and new for me...

The photos are from my newly built lightbox, so a bit better than the ones I usually take, but they are still not quite there.

Official Grimdark garage build King right here....love your updates on here and insta

Hows the Dread dio coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Official Grimdark garage build King right here....love your updates on here and insta

Hows the Dread dio coming along?
    Thank you very much Hairster!

I'm got these couple of minis on the painting table (the tech priest, the grey knight and the orkboy) and want to finish them all as a bit of a warmup before I get onto the dio properly. The vision I have for the dreadnought dio will combine all of these elements (grimdark, weathering and some osl) and push my abilities pretty hard, so I need the practice and study.

Also, spending a couple of months only scratchbuilding means my limited experience with paints fades a fair bit, and it takes me a bit to figure out the paint consistency and brush control again.

Your techpriest looks scary, I love the visual atmosphere you made, with this dark theme and rust effects. Nice !

Your techpriest looks scary, I love the visual atmosphere you made, with this dark theme and rust effects. Nice !
    Thank you kindly Kallfa! Yeah, it is pretty dark and grimy

Here is the grey knight's powersword wip:

I stained the scorched & burnt metal on the front of the flamer. This part will need some matt varnish to stamp out the shine, since it needs to be sooty.

I also added the reflected glow of the powersword on the base.
    Since this is the first time for me doing such an obvious and large OSL reflection, I would really like your C&Cs.
    Is the glow large good enough? Over the top? Is it fading fast enough? If you could do one thing to improve it, what would that be?

For now I don't know what to do with the reflection of the powersword on the armor.
    Should I add glints? A glow? Since the reflection will be directional, I need to put it where it will make sense.

The only saving grace is that while the armor is reflective, it is a dull reflective shine, not a mirror-like finish.

Thanks in advance

Hello Gorb ! Well, I won't be a great help for OSL effect, because I never really tryed to do it. To my view, I think you can can fade more the effect on the ground, or try to contrast more with the opposite edges of the light source, by adding some of your ground base color on the shadow areas. It will bring out more the texture of your basing.
    To help you about the armor, maybe you can take a photo of your mini with a lamp which will simulate your light source, and convert the photo in black and white. it might be helpful to show you where and how the light diffuses.
    Last edited by Kallfa; 12-03-2019 at 08:07 PM.

I think Kallfa makes some good points. When reading OSL tips/tutorials, the lamp/photo/black and white conversion method is the one I usually see recommended. And I think you can increase the realism (of a hulking, genetically modified, superhuman soldier - maybe "realism" isn't the right word to use lol) by altering the lighting on the ground in one of the ways that Kallfa described.

I think what sort of OSL effects you apply to the armor is kind of up to you. In your head, are you envisioning your Grey Knight having very reflective armor? Or are you wanting him to have more of a matte armor surface? Deciding on the type of surface first and then googling pictures of light reflecting off of objects that have similar surfaces may give you some inspiration.

Overall, I like how the knight is shaping up! The scorch marks on the sides of the flamers are well blended, as is the blue of the sword. The silver you chose gives the knight a sharp, stern, and somewhat detached appearance, and I think that's fitting for a warrior in the grim darkness of never-ending war.

Edit: And man that tech priest embodies everything I love about 40k. Nice work!

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...wwsdower-s-WIP

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun."

- Zap Rowsdower

​Great job on the tech priest. I can almost hear him mumbling some nonsense about the Omnissiah.

[...] To my view, I think you can can fade more the effect on the ground, or try to contrast more with the opposite edges of the light source, by adding some of your ground base color on the shadow areas. It will bring out more the texture of your basing.
    To help you about the armor, maybe you can take a photo of your mini with a lamp which will simulate your light source, and convert the photo in black and white. it might be helpful to show you where and how the light diffuses.
    Thanks for the comment Kallfa! I'll try and increase the contrast as you suggest (contrast, always the thing to improve, right? )
    I'll try the trick with the armor, and see what it brings me.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rowwwsdower View Post
    [...] I think what sort of OSL effects you apply to the armor is kind of up to you. In your head, are you envisioning your Grey Knight having very reflective armor? Or are you wanting him to have more of a matte armor surface? Deciding on the type of surface first and then googling pictures of light reflecting off of objects that have similar surfaces may give you some inspiration.

Overall, I like how the knight is shaping up! The scorch marks on the sides of the flamers are well blended, as is the blue of the sword. The silver you chose gives the knight a sharp, stern, and somewhat detached appearance, and I think that's fitting for a warrior in the grim darkness of never-ending war.

Edit: And man that tech priest embodies everything I love about 40k. Nice work!
    Thank you for commenting Rowwwsdower, much appreciated!
    The effect I'm going for is the one that is almost given to me by the pewter cast: a brushed-metallic surface, so while it is texture and isn't a mirror finish, it is shinier and more reflective than say wood or stone. Like brushed aluminum, for example.
    I'll google some lit brushed aluminum then, thanks for the idea!

I'm glad you like the tech priest. I'm pretty happy with it myself. A part of me wanted to stop at some point with the weathering and girme, but the other part of me won and I kept going. Like you say, 40k and the grim darkness of never-ending war

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    ​Great job on the tech priest. I can almost hear him mumbling some nonsense about the Omnissiah.
    Haha! Yeah, I can hear him too
    Thanks Saint Toad, always nice to have you around here.

Ide add a faint glow with a glint
    magnifycent work though gorby !!!! Truly

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    [...](contrast, always the thing to improve, right? )
    Haha yeah, constrat is one of the essential key I guess, that's something I discovered in this place 5 years ago (and still need to learn ><).
    In any case, I'm very curious to see how you're going to handle this project. keep up your good work mate !

Man I’ve missed a lot here... you e been busy dude!! The techpriest is AWESOME!! Probably my favorite work of yours yet that I’ve seen. Amazing job man!! Hairster said it right, garage build grimdark king!!

for the grey knight, looking great so far. Here’s my .02 for your OSL attempt. Because of the work on the base, it reads so that’s good and #1. Now the refinement, and you’re saying you want to see it in the armor so keep in mind your shapes and how light would reflect, it’s a metallic surface so apply NMM principles here when painting it in, meaning the leg for instance is basically a cylinder so the light reflection will be linear and vertical (parallel to the outermost point on the cylinder)- that’s for your glint, because it’s metallic you want it kinda concentrated. You can blend out a little overflow to taste. 2. Keep in mind your distance, the light is going to act like an imaginary sphere, so if the light stops at a point on the ground before it hits the mini, it’s not really gonna show up on the body, so make sure everything’s proportionate. Metallics can get a little tricky here since they’re more reflective, and it’s hard for me to say exactly what to do so just go by feel, see what looks right. Maybe just add a little color to match the glow. Also, ever notice how metallic object actually reflect the color of the light source? Apply that here as well. For your application since you’re going true metallic, paint in the lighting effect with reflective silvers and glaze over with the blue. Don’t try it with white and greys and glaze, you’ll lose the metallic affect and it’ll look waaaay weird. The glaze will dull down the shine anyway, unless you use gloss or inks. I’d try to hit it with a true metallic on the final step to keep the shine. I hope that’s coherent enough and helps. Keep trucking dude!! You’re doing awesome!!