gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 21
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    Outstanding work on your thunderbird!
    Thanks Dexter, much appreciated! We are out of town for the week, so I won't get anything more done.
    But I'll be keeping an eye on all you riff raff from here

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    ...But I'll be keeping an eye on all you riff raff from here
    Much appreciated.

Extremely nice Thunder Bird, extremely realistic ware effects, great stuff.

That Thunder Bird is indeed amazing! What's your method of choice for applying the weathering?

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread // Instagram
    Photo-Taking Input?

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun."

- Zap Rowsdower

Quote Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
    Extremely nice Thunder Bird, extremely realistic ware effects, great stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by olivin View Post
    i liked robot design
    Thanks Clouds and olivin!
    The Thunderbird is technically called a Fire Raptor (I know, but yeah it is based on an official Forge World model you can go out and buy)

Quote Originally Posted by Rowwwsdower View Post
    That Thunder Bird is indeed amazing! What's your method of choice for applying the weathering?
    Thank you kindly Rowwwsdower! I am using a method based on what I saw in a video by Martin, who runs a channel on Youtube called Night Shift
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNM...qYLdw/featured

He typically does historical armor, such as WWII tanks. The specific technique I used is from this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku4comhKHJM

Basically, you use a brush or a sponge to lighten the base color where you want the chips to go, then you go over it again (with a brush or sponge) using a more neutral/gray color inside of the previous work. This represents the "primer" showing through the scratches. Lastly you go over the interior of the "primer" spots with a metallic color, this represents where even the primer has worn away showing the metal underneath.

It is a very simple method, the only difficulty I have is to keep things random enough. On a model this size it takes a while to cover everything with random looking blobs of weathering, and it is easy to fall into a trap of just repeating the same motion over and over.
    The other danger is to overdo it, but that is the trouble with all weathering I reckon...

T bird kicks thy holy ass!!!!

That is an amazing diy Firebird you built and the paint job and weathering are looking aces on it!

the finished diorama, duel thingy looks great gorb, well done. really nicely posed and composed. great mood to it as well.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

You know I'm a big fan of your scratch building....so much to enjoy here. Your patience to slowly adapt models and attention to detail is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    T bird kicks thy holy ass!!!!
    Thanks BloodASmedium, you rock!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    That is an amazing diy Firebird you built and the paint job and weathering are looking aces on it!
    Thank you very much ekipage!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    the finished diorama, duel thingy looks great gorb, well done. really nicely posed and composed. great mood to it as well.
    Thanks Coyotebreaks, much appreciated! Yeah I really focused hard on the mood on this, so if that message comes across then I am very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    You know I'm a big fan of your scratch building....so much to enjoy here. Your patience to slowly adapt models and attention to detail is spot on.
    Thank you Hairster, very kind words. I love the inspiration I get from everyone here, so if I can contribute anything back that is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Lemming View Post
    This is an extremely übercool and fantastic angry birdie!
    Cheers LoneLemming!

I finished the ball turrets last night, the last pieces were the sensor lenses above the gun barrels.

So the last bits are now all in, I will start painting the freehand and logos tonight.
    Planning to do a large freehand raven on the top surface, with the regular blood raven insignias on the sides in front of the ball turrets.

Here is a MOCKUP of what I plan to do. I'm excited and nervous as all hell at the same time, because I haven't done a freehand piece as large as this before, and I am not sure it will even turn out any good. If you have some suggestions / encouragement, now's the time

She’s a beaut. And don’t worry about the freehand. You make a mistake, WHOOPS, looks like it’s time for a little more battle damage.

Nice weathering and damage
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Most importantly you've got a clear plan and visuals to work with as well....you'll be good, take your time

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    She’s a beaut. And don’t worry about the freehand. You make a mistake, WHOOPS, looks like it’s time for a little more battle damage.
    Thank you very much SaintToad! You are absolutely right, I did it once and I can do it again, and if I can't it becomes damage

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Nice weathering and damage
    Thanks 10Ball!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    Most importantly you've got a clear plan and visuals to work with as well....you'll be good, take your time
    Thank you for the encouragement Hairster! I appreciate your support.

I started preparing everything last night, starting with a cutout mask to use as a guide on the bird itself. Using the mask I drew lines on the wings and fuselage using a B pencil. I figure the graphite will blend with the scratches even if I don't manage to cover the lines completely. Taking my time and keeping @Hairster and @SaintToad's advice in mind

(sorry for the blurry image, not sure what went wrong there)

Then I placed some latex masking fluid on the already-weathered parts that will overlap with the freehand.
    My plan is to completely paint the freehand, then after I remove the masking fluid the battle damage will show through the freehand, so I don't have to try and redo it. @10Ball, shamelessly stealing from you excellent tutorial here!

Made some progress last night, putting down a silhouette basecoat of dark grey on the outline of the raven.
    Then started on one wing, using a reference to start filling in the basic shapes of the feathers.
    I'm pretty excited about it, usually at this stage things still look like crap but I can see it coming together!

It is looking a bit purple grey at this stage, due to the red showing through, so I will probably glaze over some dark green at some point to bring it to a more neutral gray.

Finished up the freehand raven last night. Pretty happy with it!
    The last two pics show the ripped off bandaids I mean masking fluid. These leave the weathering underneath showing through, pretty much as I wanted, although I might go in and tidy it up a bit. The bone white highlights on the quills (or rachis, a new word I just learnt) clash a bit with the exposed metallic bits where the paint has weathered away, so I may have to tone those down.

Now I have to do the raven insignias on the sides, and the base of course