gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 28
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Cool new project you launched recently. Is this going to be the "base" for another dio?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    impressive tile system! Very intersting.
    Thanks Dexter!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Very cool!
    Thank you eki!

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Cool new project you launched recently. Is this going to be the "base" for another dio?
    Cheers Graishak! It could be
    But first I want to cast a bunch of tiles and make a playable spacehulk board, so I can play some games with my daughter.

Finally got all the little casts painted and glued. But before I can start weathering I want to add a bit of graphics to the body.
    Specifically, I want to have the words "Knowledge" and "Power" on the top of the hull, as this is a Blood Raven vehicle after all.

But instead of just putting those words on there I had to go and make it extra hard on myself by creating ambigrams out of the words.
    You know, so you can read them right side up as well as upside down. Just because.
    I guess the idea is to convey the mystical and meaningful appeal that the phrase "Knowledge is Power / Power is Knowledge" has to the Blood Ravens.

There are apparently some online generators out there that'll automagically create an ambigram out of any word you give them, but the results are typically
    lackluster. If anything they give you a starting point to evolve and refine your own version from.
    So I've been drawing and redrawing these two words over and over to give the letters the right shapes to make them read correctly both ways.

I've added one iteration to the Landy already:

but to my mind it looks a little off. Power is ok, but the Knowledge version just looks bad and hard to make out.
    So I kept working at it and I think I have a better version now.

Now I just have to repaint the tank and transfer the new graphic on there again *sigh*

Blog Entries

Typically creative stuff from the resident hobby renegade.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Typically creative stuff from the resident hobby renegade.
    Thanks mate! All over the place as usual though

And just to show that my attempts at hobbying sometimes mess up bigly, here are some pics of the demolding of the master tiles.
    As you can see
    1) the molds are pretty much unusable for tiles, the edges are all torn up.
    2) the masters are destroyed, so I can't even try and make new ones.

I think a combination of things went wrong: I was too aggressive with the first layer of silicon, and too late with the second later, plus I didn't seal
    the masters well enough. Silicon caulk is of course not meant for this, so not too much of a surprise...

At least, the big mold is salvagable for making bases - no mold is completely useless.
    Plus I get a second chance to make the tiles. I learn as I go, and the first set of tiles weren't that great.

Blog Entries

​You flew too close to the sun, buddy.

Seeing this is painful, but hopefully "we learn from our mistakes" (at least it's something I guess).

It happens to the best of all of us. It at least it’s salvageable . And so you’ve learned a big lesson as well with the silicone . You’ll make it all work in the dvdvv

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    ​You flew too close to the sun, buddy.
    Seeing this is painful, but hopefully "we learn from our mistakes" (at least it's something I guess).
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    It happens to the best of all of us. It at least it’s salvageable . And so you’ve learned a big lesson as well with the silicone . You’ll make it all work in the dvdvv
    Thank you friends, I appreciate the support and the kind words.
    We are nothing if we do not learn from our mistakes

'The masters are destroyed'... 4 words you never want to hear! tanks looking good though

Oh, great, now I have lost all confidence and faith in you! How am I supposed to live vicariously through your talented home-brew modelling if you are fallible? Honestly though, bummer about the mold not working out right and getting damaged, but at least it was a learning experience and wishing luck that the next one turns out fine.

That's a shame about those floor pieces. They look great. I've been thinking about doing something for Necromunda and would kill for some small plates like that which fit on a display base. With your talents, I bet you'll figure out what to do to solve that problem in the future

Quote Originally Posted by maxwin View Post
    'The masters are destroyed'... 4 words you never want to hear! tanks looking good though
    Thanks! Yeah, it would have been ok if the masters were destroyed but the molds turned out good...
    But there is always a silver lining: the masters had some problems, for example the granny grating was not embedded on the surface. This can cause all sorts of problems in later casts.
    So this just gives me the excuse to make the second set of masters that much better, and make better molds that I can reuse much easier.

Oh, great, now I have lost all confidence and faith in you! How am I supposed to live vicariously through your talented home-brew modelling if you are fallible? Honestly though, bummer about the mold not working out right and getting damaged, but at least it was a learning experience and wishing luck that the next one turns out fine.
    Hahaha! I don't always post failures, mostly because I *know* they are test pieces that are doomed to fail. So don't worry, I fail just as much as the next kid.
    I did have a strange amount of (over)confidence in this one though

Quote Originally Posted by Kuribo View Post
    That's a shame about those floor pieces. They look great. I've been thinking about doing something for Necromunda and would kill for some small plates like that which fit on a display base. With your talents, I bet you'll figure out what to do to solve that problem in the future
    Thanks Kuribo! When I get a set of molds that work and you like the results, let me know and I can cast some up for you. Depending on how much you want I can just use some of my resin, and if you want a whole bunch we can figure something out.

I was in the mood for some sculpting and did some work on a little mini last night.
    This guy is mostly green stuff with a bt of apoxie sculpt. He is probably the smallest mini I have made so far, weighing in at 18mm to eye level.
    He is supposed to be some kind of cyber brute, kinda like some kind of lab experiment gone wrong. He will have some vats of liquid on his back and two scythes in his hands.

Your cyber brute looks like he will be a lot of fun for you to paint. Double points for such a small scale. Top notch job done with the tank freehand...You certainly didn’t go for the easy option. I’m still trying to paint a straight line freehand.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    Your cyber brute looks like he will be a lot of fun for you to paint. Double points for such a small scale. Top notch job done with the tank freehand...You certainly didn’t go for the easy option. I’m still trying to paint a straight line freehand.
    Thanks bullfrog! Yeah, I'm looking forward to putting some grim dark colors on the brute.
    He is so small by accident: I started with a regular 32mm armature, but then wanted to make this hulking figure out of it, and in doing so bent it over so much that it came out to a very small figurine.

I'm cheating with the lettering on the tank though - it is not freehand, but a transfer that I did using a laser printer, some waxy paper, and matte medium, like Crafsman uses in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUO8Fi4sXro

Here is the finished brute swinging his meathooks:

You start to become really good at sculpting. Really interesting model.

I can only agree with others have said. This guy is going to be awesome. I can't wait to see the sculpting finished and to see some paint on him

You start to become really good at sculpting. Really interesting model.
    Thank you Dexter, that means a lot to me!

that cyber brute looks great!
    Thank you ekipage!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuribo View Post
    I can only agree with others have said. This guy is going to be awesome. I can't wait to see the sculpting finished and to see some paint on him
    Cheers Kuribo, I appreciate your support!

I've added another couple of small details to him, based him and put him on my gallery, please check him out and give him a vote:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/449895

He is also on putty&paint, a vote there would be much appreciated too

https://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/26997

Just voted on your latest piece of art! Looking great!