gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 47
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfrog View Post
    A,take A you should definitely take A
    Quote Originally Posted by CyAniDe View Post
    Looks really promising. Love the gun already.

Would tend towards A

Although to B: what do you want to add a little? Clothes or volume? ^^ xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    A all the way
    Voting is now closed, thank you for participating! Looks like the A's have it lol.

Wrt to option B, I was considering some off-cut jeans shorts or something. But skimpy clothing it is then!

Oops, seems I missed the vote exercise, but I agree with the others - "A" is the right decision ^^

I missed the vote also, but good choice. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Oops, seems I missed the vote exercise, but I agree with the others - "A" is the right decision ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by ste022 View Post
    I missed the vote also, but good choice. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks friends! Well even though you missed the vote you are in luck, since A it is. I am thinking of making it a full-on bikini top instead of the crop-top from the sketch. Let's see where this ends up

In the meantime I've made a mold of the bubbles from the mermaid/driver diorama, but the only clear resin I have is epoxy resin and that stuff is THICK. It is not filling the mold properly, being so viscous. So I've ordered some water clear polyurethane resin, it has a much lower mixed viscosity (closer to my regular opaque resin), then I'll see if I can cast up see-through bubbles.

Yeah sorry I've not been on here for a while, I've nearly finished a few projects that I'll post. I need to re-learn how to edit the photos to post them to my gallery, I remember it being a pain when I did it back in the day.

I was unhappy with the previous progress on this, so I decided to re-prime and start over,
    beginning with the skin on the mermaid and going with a more normal skin tone.

The diver is getting a greenish wetsuit color. This should contrast a bit better with the
    red scales on the mermaid's tail.

The mine itself is now a bluish color, cleaner but I think the surface has better texture this time around.

I like the new colors, using complementary colors always work.
    But I think this little diorama desserve multiple versions.
    I mean the composition is so balancedt taht I can envision several versions of it (multi-colors, monochromatic, black & white) and it will still work.
    Brilliant design.

I like the new colors, using complementary colors always work.
    But I think this little diorama desserve multiple versions.
    I mean the composition is so balancedt taht I can envision several versions of it (multi-colors, monochromatic, black & white) and it will still work.
    Brilliant design.
    Thanks Dexter! As much as I'd love to, this will be a one-of-its-kind sculpt. So there will be one version, unfortunately. I might try my hand at painting a couple of different 2d sketches of the concept though, using different color sets for each painting would be a good idea.

Here is some progress on the painting of the figures in the diorama.

Finally, I've managed to get some Alumilite Water Clear polurathane resin, and with the help of a little bit of ink and some clear beads I cast this version of the bubbles:
    This resin is finicky, but much less viscuous than epoxy and therefore easier to cast in details like this.

These should work much better as the diver's bubbles, since I seem to suck at painting these up properly. I haven't fixed these to the dio yet, so you'll have to excuse my paw in the following photo:

Great progress, the bubbles look brilliant.

Great progress, the bubbles look brilliant.
    Cheers!

Small update, with some more painted details, and the bubbles now have a proper fixture. Not glued yet, but ready to go.

I am working on the scales of the mermaid, a basecoat of red, followed by orange layers with a yellow highlight.
    But the resulting orange is a bit washed out, so I'm thinking of picking up some better orange pigmented ink instead of relying on a mix of red and yellow.

Better and better on each update.
    Thanks man, I'm glad you like it!

Some updated photos of the diver & mermaid diorama.
    I had previously gone with a darker and dirtier greenish seawater look overall, and especially on the background, but decided to clean it all up.
    The background is now a very simple blue gradient, and the diver is green in contrast with the orange/red of the mermaid.

I think the bubbles came out pretty well.

It's looking good, I like how the background and the miniatures get lighter as you move up

It's looking good, I like how the background and the miniatures get lighter as you move up
    Thanks, yeah I wanted the idea of light fading fast underwater - obviously the colors (especially the orange) would be way more desaturated underwater, so this scene is not very realistic otherwise, but I think I can get by with some poetic freedom here.

So here is my turn to ask for some feedback and c&c: here are some proper photos, color corrected as best as I could for the lights and setup I have.
    What do you awesome people think I should still change / add here? I reckon the mermaid needs some eyebrows, at the least. Maybe the skin needs darkening? Maybe the mine needs some smoother shading?

I've done all my touch-ups, and taken the final glamor shots, here are a couple of them:

Some closeups:

There are a couple more shots on my blog's project page:
    https://www.vigilantesculpting.com/p...encounter.html

This looks really nice. I know you've asked for C&C, it's not really in my nature to critique peoples work but if pushed I'd just say that maybe the bubbles could be broken up a bit rather than just one cluster although I understand that would make connecting them complicated. Overall it's a really nice piece you should be proud of, I think you've also managed to capture the isolation/bleakness of the deep ocean very well.

Wonderfull, really nice final shots.

To answer you call, maybe increase the contrast beetwen the bottom half and the top half of the diver by painting the top halp a little more brighter, to reinforce the idea that she is emerging from the bottom of the ocean and start to see some lights as the background and the rest of the diorama implies.

Also maybe adding some touches of alges on the mine. if this thing is in the water since a long time, there is good chance that some life would have developed around it?

Anyway, just my 2 cents, and it is already amazing as it is.

This looks really nice. I know you've asked for C&C, it's not really in my nature to critique peoples work but if pushed I'd just say that maybe the bubbles could be broken up a bit rather than just one cluster although I understand that would make connecting them complicated. Overall it's a really nice piece you should be proud of, I think you've also managed to capture the isolation/bleakness of the deep ocean very well.
    Thanks ste022, I appreciate the feedback. Breaking up the bubbles, spreading them out so to speak, will most likely look awesome. But yeah, I can't have anything "hover".
    And I didn't mean to call you out, I was asking for some feedback in general. So thank you for your comment!

Wonderfull, really nice final shots.

To answer you call, maybe increase the contrast beetwen the bottom half and the top half of the diver by painting the top halp a little more brighter, to reinforce the idea that she is emerging from the bottom of the ocean and start to see some lights as the background and the rest of the diorama implies.

Also maybe adding some touches of alges on the mine. if this thing is in the water since a long time, there is good chance that some life would have developed around it?

Anyway, just my 2 cents, and it is already amazing as it is.
    Thank you Dexter, I am happy you like it! At this point, I have decided to draw a line under the project and put it in the glass cabinet.
    Regarding your comments, yes I agree, the diver could do with a bit of a gradient. Algae on the mine is also a great idea, I am imagining just a bit of discoloration here and there.

I might drag it out of the cabinet at some point, and do some of this - right now I am itching to get to another project...

Here are some photos of the final piece on a white background, so you can see the structure a bit better: