gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Primed the pilot, no airbubbles other than what I had already found. But the fists / fingers needed some work, and I thought the helmet
    looked a little sparse compared with the original Fire Raptor pilot, so I sculpted an eye piece onto it.

Here he is, posing with his crewmates.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fine work there.
    Before you put them in the raptor you’re going to take a ‘Last Supper’ shot around a table, right?

Really nice idea St. Toad - a last supper diorama prior to the first flight ;-)
    @Gorb: Big compliments for your sculpting. Looks like original!!!

I'm a bit late but the raptor is really, really cool. Every time I see your work, it blows my mind that someone has the skill and know how to do what you're doing. I'm looking forward to more updates!

Default Build complete photoshoot

Graishak, SaintToad, Kuribo: thanks guys, very gracious of you!

I've got a bunch of photos today, these will probably be the last before I prime. I take these to keep a record of what I've done, small changes here and there.
    The only thing missing at this point is the mounting bracket for the flyer base that goes on the bottom of the Raptor. I'm waiting for the acrylic rod I ordered before I finalize this. In the meantime, I'll be priming the entire model gray to get an overall feel for the balance of the build.

Oh, and I'll do a last supper with the crew members, great idea StToad

360 view:

elevated view:

bottom view:

Beautiful work, buddy! I am just astonished with what you can make out of empty boxes of Cap’n Crunch! Lol can’t wait to see what you’re brewing up next.

​Incredible!

Damn! This is cooler and cooler with each update.

Wow! I think this is better than the "real thing". Proportions are better and overall this is just cooler looking. So exciting to watch the progress!

Wow thats amazing work Gorb! Whats it made out of? It looks like either plastic or wood?
    Either way amazing work man!

Tee

Really impressive job on this Gorb! Can't wait to see that thing painted up.

Cheers DaBeebs, it'll be a while before I brew something else - gotta empty some cereal boxes first

Thanks Dr. Bob. I'm glad you like the dimensions. They are a little off, when I compare mine with photos of the original Fire Raptors from FW.
    Part of it is because of the template I started with, and part is because I modded it a fair bit.
    But if it looks cooler to you, then I must have not screwed up too much

Tee888, thanks heaps! She is mostly made of paper and card. The main infrastructure is medium chipboard and cereal box material, covered with index paper
    (which I print the templates on). The gun barrels are plastic tubing from cotton swabs, covered in rolled up printer paper.
    The landing gear struts are made from popsicle sticks. The handles, miscellaneous tubing and wiring is mostly hookup wire, and some ticker electrical wire and some thin gauge wire. The cockpit canopy is cut from plastic packaging. I've sacrificed some plastic beads that my kids play with for other details.
    The pilot and gunners are resin castings from an original fimo + green stuff master figure I sculpted.
    The aquillas and landing lights are apoxie sculpt castings I made from green stuff masters.

Thanks Saint Toad, ekipage & KruleBear, much appreciated! I'm getting pretty excited myself.
    I'll keep you posted! This is the end of one journey and the start of another, probably just as long.
    My painting skill is not as sharp as my exacto knife...

Default Bust

Taking a break from the Fire Raptor for a bit. Sculpting a bust, I think it is about 1:7 or 1:8.
    Still work in progress, I think the eyes are too high up in the face

nice work on the sculpt. ohh and made your raptor out of scraps and it's 100% better the GWs plastic one.
    really amazing work gorb.

tee

Hey Gorb , Eye position isn't important unless you're sculpting a human or want your monster to have human like qualities. There are standard measurements sculptors use for head sculpts which work for all busts.Google it up partner saves all the guess work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee888 View Post
    nice work on the sculpt. ohh and made your raptor out of scraps and it's 100% better the GWs plastic one.
    really amazing work gorb.

tee
    Thanks for stopping by tee, much appreciated!
    Yeah the Raptor is completely scratchbuilt, don't know if it's better than a GW one. But at least I didn't have to bend it straight

Quote Originally Posted by ADE70 View Post
    Hey Gorb , Eye position isn't important unless you're sculpting a human or want your monster to have human like qualities. There are standard measurements sculptors use for head sculpts which work for all busts.Google it up partner saves all the guess work.
    Hey ADE, thanks for the tip! Yup, I was thinking to myself that if this was supposed to be an elf, the eyes were actually cool.
    But alas she is supposed to be human, so they have to be moved down.
    I do have all the information that google can provide about human proportions, but I got ahead of myself when I started sculpting this...
    It is so free working with clay, I don't have to cut things out, glue them straight etc.

So surgery it is: The bust is built on an armature of wire and aluminum foil. I made a cut around the part I want to move down:

This is what it looks like with the section removed:

Then widening the hole in the face vertically, and replacing the cutout:

Filling in the gaps around the eyes and nose:

And the finished surgery:

Sculpting, scratch building vehicles from cereal boxes? I love it! Man after my own heart here! One of the first really involved projects I ever did was scratch building a Thunderhawk from matte board, Captain Crunch boxes, and a truckload of super glue. Your Raptor is better though with loads more detail.

Both projects are amazing. I definitely like the look of the bust after the modifications. Nice job to save the eyes, I know they're one of the tricky bits to get right. Love this!

Clever thinking cutting out the piece and moving it, sorted it out perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by khavor View Post
    Sculpting, scratch building vehicles from cereal boxes? I love it! Man after my own heart here! One of the first really involved projects I ever did was scratch building a Thunderhawk from matte board, Captain Crunch boxes, and a truckload of super glue. Your Raptor is better though with loads more detail.

Both projects are amazing. I definitely like the look of the bust after the modifications. Nice job to save the eyes, I know they're one of the tricky bits to get right. Love this!
    Thank you so much khavor, good to know there are other cereal-box-butchers out there

Quote Originally Posted by ADE70 View Post
    Clever thinking cutting out the piece and moving it, sorted it out perfectly.
    Thanks ADE! Yeah it worked pretty well. I got the idea while playing in GIMP with the original photo. I would cut the eyes + nose out, and move them a bit down, just to see if that made the face click, and it did so I thought hey I'll just do this for real.

Plus, the eyes were a b!tch to get to get done, I didn't want to redo them if at all possible.

On to the ear. The other ear won't be visible, she'll have her hair come down on the right.

that sculpt is coming along nicely! really nice work gorb!

tee