gorb's paint & putty pony show - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: gorb's paint & putty pony show

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Nice concept and execution
    Thanks! I like the concept too, will have to see whether I have the execution to match it though
    Not a lot of time to hobby this week, school's out so we are spending some time with the kids, going camping etc.
    I have to have patience...

Default Pieces of the puzzle

These are the main sections of the bust. They need to be kept separate so I can make molds more easily later.

Started working on filling out the helmet part. This needs a good sand, then some more clay, more sand, until I get the shape I want.

Built the short piece of arm actuator that will be visible in the shoulder section of the armor.
    I'll make a temporary mold for this piece, since I need 4 copies of it.

This bust is going to look awesome, Gorb. Your sculpting skills continue to amaze and impress!

No -way holy shit!!!!!

Nice work on the sculpt. Can't wait to see this finished.

Default Pre-priming the Raptor & sculpting hair

Thanks Kuribo, BaM, eki!

Bit of a mixed post...

Made some good progress on the cockpit, still not too happy with the buttons/instruments, they are just too sloppy.
    I think the beat up old leather seat looks ok. Unfortunately the pilot obscures most of it with his fat armor

Finished the mount for the flyer base on the belly of the Raptor:

Then proceeded to seal the interior & cockpit with silly putty strips, some masking tape and balls of newspaper:

This should keep any airbrush primer out of the painted areas...

Also added some hair to the sculpture: Still rough, I need to do lots of cleanup.

Looks like I missed out on some really interesting modelling work over the last couple of weeks....looking forward to seeing this come to fruition....some great ideas here.

Is the helmet on her going to be removable? If it isn't it's a shame as that is some really nice work on the hair and ear that would be mostly covered by the helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairster View Post
    looking forward to seeing this come to fruition....some great ideas here.
    Thanks for stopping by Hairster, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Is the helmet on her going to be removable? If it isn't it's a shame as that is some really nice work on the hair and ear that would be mostly covered by the helmet.
    Thank you kindly eki! First, I've decided I didn't like the hair, so I've redone it
    Second, you are right, it would be great to be able to see the entire face. I am considering my options...

I was able to remove the hair easily, mostly because I had overbaked the head first, and subsequently underbaked the hair. This made the hair softer, and it didn't stick well to the head.
    Then I re-built the hair, using Kato white, instead of the same Original Sculpey gray I had been using.
    The raw Kato clay is way more sticky, so it doesn't pull away from the baked sculpey like raw sculpey does, which means I can do finer details.
    Plus it just looks cool to have the hair a different color than the face.

Here is the final hairdo. I am pretty happy with it.

And here is a mock up of the current state of the armor. Still lots to do, but I think the overall shape is coming together.

I also started priming the Fire Raptor. Airbrushing makes things faster, but doing "multiple thin coats" on a model this size takes for frikkin ever.

Some detail of the rear end of the model. The primer shows the greeblies on the exposed engines clearly, without the variations in color and printed paper parts.
    I think it looks pretty good.

Here is a shot of an engine exhaust and one of the ballturrets:

I'm getting excited about painting this. But I fear it will take at least as long as the construction. So I'm aiming for December

Looking forward to see this Fire Raptor getting coloured. It's really amazing to see, what you've done so far.
    So take your time to paint it. There's no pressure (at least I assume that :-) ).

Dude it I had your modelling skillset ide be a winner in every category of every division in every painting tourney. You kill every project I land I can actually see your masterful work get better and better and better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Dude it I had your modelling skillset ide be a winner in every category of every division in every painting tourney. You kill every project I land I can actually see your masterful work get better and better and better and better.
    Thank you very much BaM. It is such a pleasure having you around here, the encouragement you give to all of us is precious.
    And you and your work are such an inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Looking forward to see this Fire Raptor getting coloured. It's really amazing to see, what you've done so far.
    So take your time to paint it. There's no pressure (at least I assume that :-) ).
    Thanks Graishak, yes the only pressure I have is the pressure I put on myself, that is true.
    But I aim to get going, because I would also like to see what it looks like when finished

Speaking of the Raptor, here it is on the flying base I built for it.
    It is 1/4" clear acrylic rod that I cut to size, warmed in the oven and bent into a slight curve. This looks nicer than the straight rod, and IMHO more pleasing than the weird cross type thing that comes with the Forgeworld model.
    I plan to also make a landing platform base.

I worked on the bust too, making a mold for the shoulder actuator, and casting copies of it.

Here is the current configuration. You can see that I have redone the visor, more in line with a Starcraft marine's helmet.
    Still thinking about a way to be faithful to the concept sketch, but also display the pilot's features.
    I think in this case I will have to make the visor/backplates removable, I won't be able to make a hinge since I will be casting this.
    Can't have my cake *and* eat it...

Second that ^, it does look really good all primed up. Nice work on the armor/space suit piece as well

Thank you very much Lone Lemming and ekipage!

I'm photoshopping some of the photos I took, trying to get the colorscheme right.
    Very nervous and excited at the same time to jump into this fully.

Spent some time on the armored girl last night, I think I have the layout figured out.
    Will post some pictures tomorrow.

This projects are awesome, great job on them, I'm waiting for the fisnish result

Dude, I am so eager to see that Raptor painted up.

The astronaut looks like it will be equally impressive. I hope so, anyway!

FAN - EFFIN - TASTIK I CANNOT get enough of this engineering thread- you have to have a degree in AWESOME - just to even begin to understand AND Wrap ones head around this type of phenomena!! Lol yea on this thread I will use words such as phenomena . Lol
    mall I can say it’s its such a genuine, unique ,NOT easy , and very well documented . It takes me and my imagination to the adeptus MECHANICUS.and we’re watching these tremendous weapons of war in the 41st millennium being devised ,built and gotten ready for the field.

your thread is outrageous. It’s incredible to watch a master at work using both ruler and knife- sculpting tool and glue bottle!!! Just keep it coming cause personally if I had a talent to build , sculpt and create anything I wanted ide never leave the house brother !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaan View Post
    This projects are awesome, great job on them, I'm waiting for the fisnish result
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Dude, I am so eager to see that Raptor painted up.
    Thanks Arkaan, StToad! I am taking my time with the Raptor, mocking up some paint jobs in GIMP on desatured photos that I took of the model.
    I want to do a large freehand raven on the upperside of the model, and I want to make sure it will look ok.

But I will jump into painting the dark red base coat this week, so progress will... um... progress

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    your thread is outrageous. It’s incredible to watch a master at work using both ruler and knife- sculpting tool and glue bottle!!! Just keep it coming cause personally if I had a talent to build , sculpt and create anything I wanted ide never leave the house brother !!!
    Thank you BaM, very kind words! And very inspiring, from all of you, to hear that you look forward to what I get up to

And yes, if it were up to me I'd never leave my desk and just be crafting the whole time, it has become quite an addiction.
    Unfortunately life won't quite let me go that way, but on the flip side I have 3 beautiful daughters who are all keen to play with clay, or paint or build!

I have worked a bit on the panzer girl (as I now call her), I think all the structure is complete. Everything looks cast-able, so I should be able to make resin
    copies of it. There are now lots of little gaps to fill, the rear of the armor still needs some alignment and trimming, and there are still lots of greeblies to add, so I won't get ahead of myself just yet...

On thing I am still considering is whether I should cut out the visor from the helmet and clean it up, so I can cast it with clear resin.
    That will allow the face to receive natural light from above, if the painter chooses to do so.