Thoughts on NW units

Thread: Thoughts on NW units

Default Thoughts on NW units

Hi guys,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the currently released units? I am planning my first game with them tomorrow and I keep going back and forth on Rangers VS hunters. Thoughts?

I tried both and while in theory they seem to have similar roles, in practice they are very different from one another.

With Ranger trackers you want to avoid close combat as much as possible. You will need to spend the first 2 rounds maneuvering to try and get them to the flank/rear of your opponent's army. On the other hand Ranger hunters want to charge in, make their attacks and than retreat to safety.

Even the support they need on the tactics board is different. Trackers prefer the extra maneuver to quickly get in an advantages position or re-positioning after they attack at range. While Hunters prefer the extra attack after retreating to have a second round of attacks at range.

I would say I prefer Hunters over trackers since I really like the concept of hit and run. However I do feel that hunters are slightly over costed.

Hope this helps you in your decision.
    What is dead may never die, but rises again Harder and Stronger

Thank you for your thoughts on the units.

If the unit they attack has not activated then yes you get to reroll misses with the Hunters but don't forget that the unit attacked can pivot after you desengage and will probably charge you.

True but if you retreat to the back you are moving D6 + 6 which should take you far enough to be safe. It really depends what you are trying to achieve.
    What is dead may never die, but rises again Harder and Stronger

Sworn Brothers are arguably the best per point unit in the game. Just a great stat line and Vows make them flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelraek View Post
    Sworn Brothers are arguably the best per point unit in the game. Just a great stat line and Vows make them flexible.
    I would tend to agree here, point for point they are really strong, a bit too good to be true, but more playtime is needed. In fact when i saw them i thought they would cost 7 pts. They typically get the upperhand vs Greataxes, and if they are full ranks when they meet bersekers, they feel on equal footing. That said, they loose quite a bit of steam once that first rank is gone. It's when they attack at 7 dice that it feels most odd. This is even more obvious when they activate the vow which grants them +2 dice, or when Jon Snow boosts it for another +2.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 02-02-2019 at 08:00 AM.