Free Folk Tactics and Positioning?

Thread: Free Folk Tactics and Positioning?

Default Free Folk Tactics and Positioning?

Huge fan of the Free Folk, and I've previewed both some of the tactics and abilities of they have to offer. [See Videos Below]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLhhDzpmNBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v94eEjww6U

That being said, while the game of A Song of Ice and Fire is literally all about positioning your units, the Free Folk seem optimally primed for using formations to maximize their effectiveness and minimize their attachments being picked off.

Does anyone have any interesting formations they are currently using (or are theory crafting) that they think would work well with the Free Folk? I'd love to do a deep dive, and maybe make a video on the topic, but I am not sure where to start!

You want fun positioning?
    yes it is probably true that Free Folk can't use Neutral units BUT
    you block LoS by base not by model so you can easly hide a Giant behind a single unit of raiders and the nights watch scorpion can not hit the giant.

I have a question. The nights watch scorpion's single hit. You can't roll defense and deals automatic wounds. So if someone hits a giant with it, do the giants still only take 1/2 damage or would they take 100%?

As the giants ability only comes into effect when Hits are involved, they would take 100% of the Wounds.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...o-defense-save
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

Here's a question I've been working on with the Free Folk. Is it better to mass up the giants for one big hit and take down a unit at a time (which can make it quite difficult to get back points if that is the goal) or to stiffen up the rest of the rather...not so great...line of FF infantry? My thoughts so far have been to spread the giants out, but I am not sold on those results.

Quote Originally Posted by caladancid View Post
    Here's a question I've been working on with the Free Folk. Is it better to mass up the giants for one big hit and take down a unit at a time (which can make it quite difficult to get back points if that is the goal) or to stiffen up the rest of the rather...not so great...line of FF infantry? My thoughts so far have been to spread the giants out, but I am not sold on those results.
    It depends on the scenario. See the giants as massive pillars around which your rather unreliable clansmen run around. They are both anchors and hammers. So you have to apply those pillars where it'll force the opponent to deal with them, or make it so they loose precious time if they avoid them. It can also depend on the enemy forces, you have to keep an eye where threats are deployed. There's nothing worse for Flayed men to be charged by a Giant, and they'll have to flee or it'll tarpit them for too long. As such, Giants are excellent to hold objectives, but you have to keep an eye on what can counter Giants too.

Something really important for Free folk is deployment. They often have enough units to fill a whole table edge. This is great for saturation, but less so to manoeuvre and react to enemy movements. Giants, are quite unique so far because they have a small tray. Wherever you place them in your line will give nearby units some room to pivot and move about. Have a plan before the game starts. It's harder for FF to adapt once the game is on.

I like to have Spearwives around Giants, because they are fragile, worth 1VP and so really benefit from the Giant's protection. Once the Giant is engaged, they can still shoot in the melee, and the Giant won't care much. As i said, there's more room to manoeuvre around Giants and Spearwives enjoy that too. If needed, they can charge in to support. Trappers are another good combo as it creates a zone of death around the giant, and Cave Dwellers will appreciate the Giant's damage output, hopefully reducing enemy ranks to trigger more bonuses.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 03-20-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    It depends on the scenario. See the giants as massive pillars around which your rather unreliable clansmen run around. They are both anchors and hammers. So you have to apply those pillars where it'll force the opponent to deal with them, or make it so they loose precious time if they avoid them. It can also depend on the enemy forces, you have to keep an eye where threats are deployed. There's nothing worse for Flayed men to be charged by a Giant, and they'll have to flee or it'll tarpit them for too long. As such, Giants are excellent to hold objectives, but you have to keep an eye on what can counter Giants too.

Something really important for Free folk is deployment. They often have enough units to fill a whole table edge. This is great for saturation, but less so to manoeuvre and react to enemy movements. Giants, are quite unique so far because they have a small tray. Wherever you place them in your line will give nearby units some room to pivot and move about. Have a plan before the game starts. It's harder for FF to adapt once the game is on.

I like to have Spearwives around Giants, because they are fragile, worth 1VP and so really benefit from the Giant's protection. Once the Giant is engaged, they can still shoot in the melee, and the Giant won't care much. As i said, there's more room to manoeuvre around Giants and Spearwives enjoy that too. If needed, they can charge in to support. Trappers are another good combo as it creates a zone of death around the giant, and Cave Dwellers will appreciate the Giant's damage output, hopefully reducing enemy ranks to trigger more bonuses.
    Those are good thoughts, thanks. Giants are for sure the best option for holding objectives, Raiders vanish real quick under any sort of effort.

One thing I do disagree on is the lack of reaction ability. With Val, Tormund, and Raid Leaders I have found FF to be the easiest faction to whip around units and react to hot spots. Now, when I get there I don't always have the success I want haha but maneuvering hasn't been the issue.