Boltons and "Mercenaries"

Thread: Boltons and "Mercenaries"

Default Boltons and "Mercenaries"

Do you guys think there will be mercenaries that are truly just fighters for coin? The game pitches the Boltons/Bolton soldiers as "mercenaries" or "neutral" but we know from both the books and the shows that Roose Bolton isn't a man to be bought by coin so much as by power and position. It would be cool to see the Boltons reduced to only fighting for the Starks, Lannisters, and other Westerosi great houses, and real mercenaries added to the game like the Company of the Cat and the Brave Companions who can work for just about anyone. NCUs and attachments could be added to be associated with those specific units as well, but require purchasing a unit before accessing characters/captains. I think this change would also aid in balancing as future factions do not have to be designed around the idea of having access to Bolton units and characters.

Perhaps (way) down the line the Golden Company could even be their own true faction.

I’d love to see the Brave Companions added to the game. Just the sculpts alone would make them worth it in my opinion. The others from across the sea will probably not come out until they are ready to intro Dani, but Golden Company and Second Sons would be nice.

What do you think about limited neutral units? Like people that only work for Westerosi factions or Essosi factions (in the future assuming we see stuff out of Essos). The more factions that release the more and more I don't like Boltons being able to work for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFoam View Post
    What do you think about limited neutral units? Like people that only work for Westerosi factions or Essosi factions (in the future assuming we see stuff out of Essos). The more factions that release the more and more I don't like Boltons being able to work for everyone.
    I agree with this. Who knows, down the road they could release a list stating what neutral unit can go with what factions? They started to do this with the Free Folk, so they likely are aware of the potential balance and lore issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    I agree with this. Who knows, down the road they could release a list stating what neutral unit can go with what factions? They started to do this with the Free Folk, so they likely are aware of the potential balance and lore issue.
    Hmmm, don't know how I feel about this. I'd certainly think this would be fine in tournaments, but I'd rather Neutral units have a "suggested" faction than a mandatory one.
    "I did warn you not to trust me." -Littlefinger

Oh yes, the Freys would be awesome neutrals too.

Something to chew, at last! From the On the Table Gaming facebook page :

Name:  54521463_560195281054772_2910122342002720768_n.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  43.9 KB

That unit will be much better than cutthroats to take objectives with. Now i understand what Michael Shinall was saying in his Podcast...Ramsay will have great synnergy in there. Too bad they lost vicious though...i kind of expected it from a Bolton unit.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 03-15-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    Something to chew, at last! From the On the Table Gaming facebook page :

Name:  54521463_560195281054772_2910122342002720768_n.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  43.9 KB

That unit will be much better than cutthroats to take objectives with. Now i understand what Michael Shinall was saying in his Podcast...Ramsay will have great synnergy in there. Too bad they lost vicious though...i kind of expected it from a Bolton unit.
    I think Roose would probably be the better choice for sustainability - if you're planning to just sit them on an objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym84 View Post
    I think Roose would probably be the better choice for sustainability - if you're planning to just sit them on an objective.
    As an attachment, i agree he's good, but I am a fan of Roose as a commander so i often forget about it . That said, sitting on an objective in the middle of the battle usually get some attention.

The best case scenario for Blackguards is an enemy loosing a rank before they roll for attack. Ramsay makes it more likely with the additional 2 wounds. So if you can get the foe to loose by 2, you pop 1 rank down.

They'll have truly horrible counters though: Lannister Guards with Captain / Lannister Knights / Tywin, Umber Berserkers, Maege Mormont...and there's more. They will not do well against Night's Watch Sworn Brothers...who cost the same. Again I wish they had kept vicious, perhaps with a 6/5/3 profile, as it has no punch as they are.

Course i see them from the perspective of a neutral army, they'll fare better with the Lannister faction i think.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 03-18-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Just said this to a friend. If you can influence any potential attackers with Cersei then you'll get more out of them - better still if Tywin is attached to them for the potential double panic. If you want Tywin as your commander that is.

I can't see any decent Stark attachments for them. That said, they cost 1 less than Sworn Shields and are more or less identical aside from their abilities, but the Sworn Shield ability only triggers from a frontal attack.

Am I missing something there?

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym84 View Post
    Just said this to a friend. If you can influence any potential attackers with Cersei then you'll get more out of them - better still if Tywin is attached to them for the potential double panic. If you want Tywin as your commander that is.

I can't see any decent Stark attachment for them. That said, they cost 1 less than Sworn Shields and are more or less identical aside from their abilities, but the Sworn Shield ability only triggers from a frontal attack.

Am I missing something there?
    The Tully Sworn shields also have a 3+ attack, which is great for a defensive unit. I agree that Starks will prefer Cutthroats (cheaper, anyway). Also, you won't feel their abilities are identical when charged by Sundering troops. The only time Blackguards will be more or less as efficient is when facing Morale 8+ troops.

See that's one sad part of playing the Boltons, they have to be balanced for all factions, so the potential combos with the Lannisters are likely factored in their cost...which Neutrals or Stark armies must pay. Imho (really i don't pretend to know better), they could perhaps have been 5pts in a Neutral-only army.

Another terrible match up for them is the Faith Militant's Warrior's sons. You'll give them tokens...(and at 4+ Morale, they love testing it)
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 03-18-2019 at 08:55 AM.

In my play experience, panic checks have done more damage to a unit than attacks have. So I can see why they don’t have Vicious. I do agree that Lannister and Neutral factions are where they will shine the most, because of there tendency to rely on morale checks.

I like the the Rock Paper Scissors aspect, with them having counters. But I’m used to that from other games. It fixes the opponent to make choices before the game even starts. In battle, you can always send them to take out other units, while you use other units yourself to tie up the counters.

I think they will also make a good flanking unit.
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

Quote Originally Posted by AlxRaven View Post
    In my play experience, panic checks have done more damage to a unit than attacks have. So I can see why they don’t have Vicious. I do agree that Lannister and Neutral factions are where they will shine the most, because of there tendency to rely on morale checks.

I like the the Rock Paper Scissors aspect, with them having counters. But I’m used to that from other games. It fixes the opponent to make choices before the game even starts. In battle, you can always send them to take out other units, while you use other units yourself to tie up the counters.

I think they will also make a good flanking unit.
    They are quite slow to flank with, and won't be able to stop cavalry from passing through. However they are tailor-made to hold an objective, wherever that may be.

Anyway, we'll see how they turn out to be. I do expect that free-folks will hate facing them, and that Lannisters will like fielding them.