NCU Triggers

Thread: NCU Triggers

Default NCU Triggers

Rodrik Cassel's "Martial Expertise" reads:

"If you claimed X, 1 enemy Combat Unit becomes Vulnerable."

After this text the card goes on to explain Cassel's influence ability. My question is: Does the first part of this NCU's ability rely on Rodrik himself claiming X, or does that ability happen whenever ANY of my NCUs claim X so long as I have Rodrik in my list?

Since this ability is on Rodriks NCU card I play it that he must claim "X".

However there are some on here who would argue that it does not specifically say it must be Rodrik who claimns "X" so it could be another of your already placed NCUs. These people would probably also argue that the sky is not blue!

I feel as though if it required Rodrik to claim the zone that it would say "When Rodrik claims X" and not "When you claim X" since "you" refers to the player. But I did not know if other such NCUs existed and if there was a consensus on how this should be played.

No, you, corresponds to the character in question. Roderick's card isn't even in play until he activates.

Are cards ever in play or not in play? I am not trying to argue to get a ruling I want I am just not agreeing with the logic I am seeing.

Can anyone cite a rule in one direction or the other? My logic for the Stark player not needing Rodrik himself to claim X is that many other cards (such as Pycelle for example) will directly refer to the model as needing to be the one claiming a zone to trigger an effect. So Pycelle reads: "When Pycelle claims a zone on the Tactics Board..." then explains his effect. Conversely, Rodrik makes no reference to "When Rodrik claims..." but rather "When you claim..." The influence ability similarly to Pycelle's effect specifically says "When this model..."

Looking through the rules, Rodrik is in fact unique in that he has this language in his card. No other NCU in the game has an effect that does not rely on the NCUs own actions. I can't help but think that it works when any NCU claims X and not necessarily Rodrik himself.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFoam View Post
    Are cards ever in play or not in play? I am not trying to argue to get a ruling I want I am just not agreeing with the logic I am seeing.

Can anyone cite a rule in one direction or the other? My logic for the Stark player not needing Rodrik himself to claim X is that many other cards (such as Pycelle for example) will directly refer to the model as needing to be the one claiming a zone to trigger an effect. So Pycelle reads: "When Pycelle claims a zone on the Tactics Board..." then explains his effect. Conversely, Rodrik makes no reference to "When Rodrik claims..." but rather "When you claim..." The influence ability similarly to Pycelle's effect specifically says "When this model..."

Looking through the rules, Rodrik is in fact unique in that he has this language in his card. No other NCU in the game has an effect that does not rely on the NCUs own actions. I can't help but think that it works when any NCU claims X and not necessarily Rodrik himself.

I also first thought that Rodrik did not needed to be the one that claimed the zone but this was answered by Michael so it is now a rule.
    Most rules of NCU's are used only when they claim a zone. Tyrion has "Your hand size is increased by 1", with no trigger or other, so that is always.
    The exceptions are the ones with tokens on them (Varys, Eddard, ...) these always have a trigger when you can use their abilities.

I agree you make a point for inconsistency in the text of this card. "You" would point to the player, thus your interpretation does have a logical rationale why you (not Rodrik!) would come into that conclusion.

There is however a slight trend of inconsistency in the Stark cards. E.g. trigger moments being same exact moment even though they are written differently (see Stark FAQ for examples). Brynden Tully - Unyelding Knight Order text difference, making it seem "infinite" (it isn't) as it is missing text "this turn" (it should have it) compared to other units with same ability, to name the known ones. (I think there were more, but I have forgotten already?).

Rodrik could be one addition to these Stark card inconsistencies. Or then it is meant to be played as you suggest (but I doubt it strongly).

Quote Originally Posted by JeppeP View Post
    I also first thought that Rodrik did not needed to be the one that claimed the zone but this was answered by Michael so it is now a rule.
    Thanks Jeppe, the search function isn't so hot in the forums is there any way you could link that so I can point my friends toward it?

Hopefully this also gets covered in the upcoming FAQ