Stark Lannister starter vs. Night's Watch starter
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Stark Lannister starter vs. Night's Watch starter

  1. #1

    Default Stark Lannister starter vs. Night's Watch starter

    Hello everyone,
    Apologies if this has been talked about already... I couldn't find it using the search feature.
    I was fortunate enough to receive a whack of gift cards to my local game shop. After some debate, I have chosen to jump into A Song of Ice and Fire. (Yeah, I'm late to the party...)
    I have $275 to spend.
    My question is which starter should I get? Is one a lot better than the other? Do the expansions work with both regardless?
    I can get the Lannister Stark and four expansions.... or the Night's Watch and six expansions..... OR get both starters and one expansion....

    Apologies on the noob questions.... but any feedback would be appreciated from those who have played both...
    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default

    If your store has a community established then I would get the Night's Watch starter. If you are trying to begin a community, get the Stark/Lannister starter so you have an opposing army to demo games with or maybe sell to a new player one day. Alternatively, if the store has an established community you could go 50-50 with another player who wants the opposing faction to your Starks or Lannisters. The starter boxes come with a LOT of minis so getting extra boxes of minis will give you a big work load from a painting standpoint.

    I would strongly advise against getting both starter boxes as you would have three factions in your hands. When beginning a new game, I believe sticking to one faction is extremely important to learn the game.

  3. #3

    Default

    thanks for that... I hadn't thought of that part (obviously)
    The store doesn't have a community for this game yet, hopefully we can get one going.

    So now I just have to decide which faction I really want to play, and which expansions to go with them....



    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFoam View Post
    If your store has a community established then I would get the Night's Watch starter. If you are trying to begin a community, get the Stark/Lannister starter so you have an opposing army to demo games with or maybe sell to a new player one day. Alternatively, if the store has an established community you could go 50-50 with another player who wants the opposing faction to your Starks or Lannisters. The starter boxes come with a LOT of minis so getting extra boxes of minis will give you a big work load from a painting standpoint.

    I would strongly advise against getting both starter boxes as you would have three factions in your hands. When beginning a new game, I believe sticking to one faction is extremely important to learn the game.

  4. #4

    Default

    Scout the store and see if anyone is interested in the game. Ask the owner if they would be willing to get a game night going etc and make a decision from there.

  5. #5

    Default

    Absolutely.
    I think your initial comment made the light bulb go off. I had initially gone into this treating it as a board game (it isn't) where to really maximize the experience, you need to acquire all the pieces.
    But, of course, it's a skirmish game. I need to decide on a faction and go for that, and that only.


    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFoam View Post
    Scout the store and see if anyone is interested in the game. Ask the owner if they would be willing to get a game night going etc and make a decision from there.

  6. #6

    Default

    As for "which boxes to buy" after the starter set?
    My picks/recommendations are:

    Starks after core-set;
    1) Umber Greataxes (adds somethng new and an answer to everything if positioned well)
    2) Stark Heroes (more NCU's and commanders add so much to your game.)
    3) See which direction you like best and go for it. (I'd go tully swornshields, archers or a second unit berserkers myself)

    Lannister purchases after the core set:
    1) Casterly Rock Knights. (adds cavalry to an all-infantry coreset; gold!)
    2) Lannister heroes (I spot a trend here)
    3) Pyromancers or Crossbowmen

    Notable mentions to Bolton Cuttroats (versatile filler unit for 5 points packing a mean punch) or
    Flayed Men (2+ save cavalry seems unstoppable for beginners. It is not. But it sure is a mailed fist!)

    I have played twice against NW so I am not the best to recommend anything here but having said that I'd go with the NW starterset and the Bolton Cutthroats for a nice 40 points.
    and see where to go from there.

  7. #7

    Default

    That's great feedback... thanks!!!



    Quote Originally Posted by Elkerlyc View Post
    As for "which boxes to buy" after the starter set?
    My picks/recommendations are:

    Starks after core-set;
    1) Umber Greataxes (adds somethng new and an answer to everything if positioned well)
    2) Stark Heroes (more NCU's and commanders add so much to your game.)
    3) See which direction you like best and go for it. (I'd go tully swornshields, archers or a second unit berserkers myself)

    Lannister purchases after the core set:
    1) Casterly Rock Knights. (adds cavalry to an all-infantry coreset; gold!)
    2) Lannister heroes (I spot a trend here)
    3) Pyromancers or Crossbowmen

    Notable mentions to Bolton Cuttroats (versatile filler unit for 5 points packing a mean punch) or
    Flayed Men (2+ save cavalry seems unstoppable for beginners. It is not. But it sure is a mailed fist!)

    I have played twice against NW so I am not the best to recommend anything here but having said that I'd go with the NW starterset and the Bolton Cutthroats for a nice 40 points.
    and see where to go from there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->