Best place to list myself as commission painter?

Thread: Best place to list myself as commission painter?

Default Best place to list myself as commission painter?

Hey folks

New to the CMON forums, but have tackled some CMON minis from Blood Rage and Rising Sun along with other board games and GW products. I started up a side gig doing commissions and am trying to get the word out. Is there a central place people can find commission painters to pick from based on the style they like?

For now, I'll link to my business page: https://www.facebook.com/AlwaysBePainting/

You can also follow me on Instagram and Twitter @be_painting

Name:  Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 11.15.46 AM.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  12.4 KB Name:  Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 11.14.42 AM.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  12.8 KB Name:  Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 11.15.34 AM.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  11.5 KB

There is no real best place. You'd need to advertise yourself on multiple platforms + for multiple people.
    What I mean is: spread the word of your commission on:
    - FB (figure painter groups, wargaming groups, wargaming trade groups (especially this))
    - Instagram (have pics and following)
    - Painting and wargaming forums (as long as they 'relevant' in the age of (anti-)social networks/media) (like this, wamp, dakkadakka, das-bemahlforum, reaper forums, etc)
    - you could try ebay / craigllist / similar, but... both are bad. Ebay may or may not bring in customers, the other has too many cheaters
    - twitter of course, but you'd need some following.

- and it's really good if you do a few references that are advertised by the customers to their friends.
    - YT / Patreon is also a good way to advertise yourself (like Ghool here does, altough I don't know now if he only does painting vid or commissions too)

BUT you'd really have to place yourself in terms of speed/quality.
    Most wargame/rpg/boardgame players won't go for high quality / high price, most collectors won't care about TTQ.
    There is a small niche where I find had to find painters: High-end TTQ for skirmish armies (5-10 figures at most).

+ On the pics here + FB: they are mostly around TTQ (some better, some about what the definition is), it's not easy doing commissions for this level.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Entering major competitions can get you and your work out there to potential customers
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

I would also see if you can advertise at any of your local gaming stores, and check the web for any local gaming group sites and post up there.

ebay. make sure you put "pro painted" on EVERYTHING
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    There is no real best place. You'd need to advertise yourself on multiple platforms + for multiple people.
    What I mean is: spread the word of your commission on:
    - FB (figure painter groups, wargaming groups, wargaming trade groups (especially this))
    - Instagram (have pics and following)
    - Painting and wargaming forums (as long as they 'relevant' in the age of (anti-)social networks/media) (like this, wamp, dakkadakka, das-bemahlforum, reaper forums, etc)
    - you could try ebay / craigllist / similar, but... both are bad. Ebay may or may not bring in customers, the other has too many cheaters
    - twitter of course, but you'd need some following.

- and it's really good if you do a few references that are advertised by the customers to their friends.
    - YT / Patreon is also a good way to advertise yourself (like Ghool here does, altough I don't know now if he only does painting vid or commissions too)

BUT you'd really have to place yourself in terms of speed/quality.
    Most wargame/rpg/boardgame players won't go for high quality / high price, most collectors won't care about TTQ.
    There is a small niche where I find had to find painters: High-end TTQ for skirmish armies (5-10 figures at most).

+ On the pics here + FB: they are mostly around TTQ (some better, some about what the definition is), it's not easy doing commissions for this level.
    Thanks very much for the detailed suggestions! For your last line, are you commenting on my figures about them being TTQ or on the CMON site in general? That part wasn't super clear.

I don't offer paid commissions, and the only way I do them is for Patrons in contests I run.
    My Patreon income and YT income provide enough to pay for my hobby supplies and pay a few bills.

Certainly don't expect to make a career out of it. But, it is nice for some extra cash once in a while.
    Also keep in mind that commission painting can burn you out 10X quicker than painting for yourself.
    You can watch my videos on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/MiniGhool/playlists
    And you can also support me on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Ghool

Thanks for the tips. My goal is to transition to a point where I can replace one of my jobs with painting on commission so fingers crossed.

Hi, I meant the pics of your paintings. It's a hard quality where people want low prices, so you have to be either very efficient in painting a LOT of figures or very lucky finding the few willing to pay enough to make it worth for you.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysBePainting View Post
    Thanks for the tips. My goal is to transition to a point where I can replace one of my jobs with painting on commission so fingers crossed.
    Don't make that the goal or you will be very disappointed, over worked and tired.
    Expect to first put in a lot of work and money getting a good portfolio together. While you might know you can paint well, clients won't, unless you have a large volume and variety of work.
    Don't expect much of your clientele to want single miniatures as well. Most folks that want to hire some one to paint something, they want an entire army done....both fast and for a reasonable price.

If you wish to replace your income, you can't do it without a huge portfolio, some noteriety through the Internet, or by accumulating some major contest wins is pretty much the only viable way to attract clients. It's also a very very difficult thing to do.
    I have all of the above, have been painting and taking commissions for over a decade, and over only the last 3 years have I made any headway into actually turning what I do into a very small, part time income.

I.don't want to dash your hopes here. But you need to have a realistic perspective. And thinking you can replace your income with painting, you are going to have a very rude awakening. You're expecting to do what maybe 1% of all painters are capable of doing.

I want to warn you that what you are hoping to achieve has taken some of us decades to make a small income from it. And I will be very frank here - I put in about 30 hours a week for my videos, turning my painting into an income. At an hourly rate, it's about $3 per hour. Just to shed some light here, coming from a guy who has been trying to make this painting thing pay for over 10 years.

Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Ghool; 01-17-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    You can watch my videos on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/MiniGhool/playlists
    And you can also support me on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Ghool

Quote Originally Posted by Ghool View Post
    Don't make that the goal or you will be very disappointed, over worked and tired.
    Expect to first put in a lot of work and money getting a good portfolio together. While you might know you can paint well, clients won't, unless you have a large volume and variety of work.
    Don't expect much of your clientele to want single miniatures as well. Most folks that want to hire some one to paint something, they want an entire army done....both fast and for a reasonable price.

If you wish to replace your income, you can't do it without a huge portfolio, some noteriety through the Internet, or by accumulating some major contest wins is pretty much the only viable way to attract clients. It's also a very very difficult thing to do.
    I have all of the above, have been painting and taking commissions for over a decade, and over only the last 3 years have I made any headway into actually turning what I do into a very small, part time income.

I.don't want to dash your hopes here. But you need to have a realistic perspective. And thinking you can replace your income with painting, you are going to have a very rude awakening. You're expecting to do what maybe 1% of all painters are capable of doing.

I want to warn you that what you are hoping to achieve has taken some of us decades to make a small income from it. And I will be very frank here - I put in about 30 hours a week for my videos, turning my painting into an income. At an hourly rate, it's about $3 per hour. Just to shed some light here, coming from a guy who has been trying to make this painting thing pay for over 10 years.

Good luck to you.
    Ghool is absolutely right. A well know reputation as a good painter isn’t achieved overnight and only through hard work.
    Be prepared to invest a lot of time and effort to get recognition.
    But also there are a lot of people who’ve tried commission painting and ended up “burnt out” and leaving the hobby.

I’m in the unenviable situation of a commission at the moment that I’m about to lose money on because of an accident(*), which can’t be stripped back or repaired. So it means I’m replacing the bust involved. That’s something you also have to take into account, you cannot make excuses for something going wrong, it’s your work, your responsibility.

(* The jewellers clamp I was using wasn’t as secured to the table as I thought, result a drop onto a carry case and what was a one piece bust is now a three piece.)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

@Ghool.... isn’t the bust breaking into three a good thing? Can’t you charge extra for having painted more pieces?

Dragonsreach has made an excellent comment. Even if you do make it to your goal it will be hard to not burn out at the rate you will have to push commissions out. Many a well known painter has gone this route. As much as it would be great to do what we love for a living it’s a very hard industry to break into and even harder to stay and thrive in. Roughshod airbrush painters that barely cover the mini in paint struggle.... imagine how hard it is when you have to do time consuming display pieces. Even though you can charge more the dollars per hour factor rarely works out in your favour. Most do this for a bit of spare cash.
    Last edited by bullfrog; 02-24-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Can’t spell