Who do you want to see in the game? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who do you want to see in the game?

Just caught this and decided to post in case anyone hasn't seen it. From The War Store:

Looks neat. Anyone wanna speculate on what these guys do?

(Also, how long does it take before your attempt to post a new thread stops getting caught in the spam filter?)

Nice find!

my guess is going to be good morale, better defense than your typical FF unit, and maybe Viscious. This opinion may change if they tease the lord of bones card.

Going back to the talk about Barratheon maybe being Jack of all Trades themed. That might be a good fit for them, or maybe the Tyrells. Either way, if/when they do that style of faction, I hope they make use of the commanders to allow you to shift the focus various directions. We see that a bit with some of the factions we have now, but those commanders tend to be outliers. Most of a factions commanders seem to tweak a focus as opposed to changing it dramatically.

A jack of of all trades faction would be a great opportunity to accentuate the difference a commander can make.

(Btw - I still get flagged by the spam filter from time to time. So not sure it will ever truely stop completely)
    Last edited by AlxRaven; 03-18-2019 at 03:11 PM.
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

The World of Ice and Fire describes Stormlanders as having excellent bowmen and the men of the marches as being some of the best fighters in Westeros. I think it will be very interesting how CMON differentiates them from House Stark.

Speaking of differentiating, I am excited for the Free Folk units. There is such a wide array of possible units, and so far they all seem well done. But seriously who could argue with dog chariots eventually?

I’m really hoping the dog sleds will end up being their version of mounted units.
    House - Ravenhurst

Stating the obvious here, but the followers of bone will go along the tactics of our friendly Lord of Bones...whatever he may do. I agree that vicious is a likely trait among them. I don't expect them to have better armor than raiders really, as they really don't have much armor compared to Starks Sworn shields (and look more like the Bolton Cutthroats). They could also have "horrific visage" like the Bolton Blackguards...who knows.

The only 4+ infantry i expect from the Free Folks would be the Thenns.

Dog sleds would be cool, but shouldn't have the agility of real cavalry though, they should behave more like chariots, although the game doesn't have anything as such atm.

Blah, with that new asmodee distribution thing, my go-to webstore can't get the info for pre-ordering the game stuff atm.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 03-19-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Any thoughts on what we will expect from house Targaryen?

That's a long shot...but here goes:

Units:

Unsullied infantry (great morale, good defense especially against charges)
    Dothraki light cavalry (great offense and mobility)
    Freed Slaves (cheap weak troops)
    Second Sons cavalry (something like stark outriders medium cav)
    Young Dragons monsters

It's an easy faction to flesh out rally, there's tons of material to draw from
    Kal Drogo as commander with dothraki focus
    Jorah Mormont (attachment)
    Daario Naharis (focus on Second Sons)
    Grey Worm (focus on Unsullied)
    Denerys Targaryen (NCU and NCU Commander?)
    Viserys Targaryen
    Ser Barristan Selmy
    etc

Sounds pretty good. The mechanics for dragons will be interesting as they could be by far the best unit
    Young dragons sounds like a good way to go though

I agree with Oakwolf’s assessment. And there are tons of named characters to add in there.

I think the Unsullied will have the highest morale we’ve seen, or be completely immune to Morale Checks all together.

Young dragons is the way to go to still have other units and maintain balance. Though I would not be surprised if Dani’s tactics cards include some dragon effects. Breathing fire, flight, etc.

That being said, I would not be opposed to older versions of the dragons that are 30, 40, and 50 points to allow an army vs a dragon matchups.
    House - Ravenhurst

Also, the dragons might not be entirely controlled...which could imply that they sometimes fry one of your unit or refuse to stay into battle. This unreliability could help balance their power.

That could be an interesting mechanic to balance out the power. At the start of their activation, roll a die. Depending on the result, you control them or you don’t. Dani could buff the roll, but it’s almost certain she’ll be a requirement to field the dragons.
    House - Ravenhurst

Quote Originally Posted by AlxRaven View Post
    That could be an interesting mechanic to balance out the power. At the start of their activation, roll a die. Depending on the result, you control them or you don’t. Dani could buff the roll, but it’s almost certain she’ll be a requirement to field the dragons.
    That's why i think Denerys might be available both as NCU and NCU commander. They both might provide access to dragons, though perhaps in a different magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    That's why i think Denerys might be available both as NCU and NCU commander. They both might provide access to dragons, though perhaps in a different magnitude.
    Honestly, I'd be surprised if the dragons aren't tied to Daenerys the same way the Direwolfs are tied to the Starks. Do you have Robb Stark in your army? No? Then no Grey Wind for you.

And does Dany really need anything more than that? I mean, "Daenerys, Mother of Dragons. NCU. Your Army may include the equivalent of bringing 3 nukes to a swordfight" doesn't really need much more to justify her presence in an army, does it?

NCU Commander Dany buffing the Dragons tendency to obey makes a lot of sense in that case.
    Last edited by Hissho; 03-22-2019 at 03:28 PM.

I would love to see an Ironborn set. They would have pirate and viking aesthetics to draw from, and then the kraken motif; after seeing the Tully Sworn Shields, I was convinced these sculptors could do some really creative designs that fit the setting.
    Mostly, I want a Victarion mini, but a whole squad of Reavers in full plate would be sick. I'm guessing they are pretty low in priority, but with that said, it would be cool to see the rank and flank rules adapted for naval combat.

Don't despair for the Greyjoys. At first we can think they don't count for much, but this game is about the war of the 5 kings after all, and in every rulebook, there is a part about Balon Greyjoy.

I think we'll see:

Baratheons
    Tyrells
    Then it could be a toss up between the Targaryens, Night King and the Greyjoys
    And finally and hopefully, the people of Dorne (Martels).

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    And finally and hopefully, the people of Dorne (Martels).
    Do we want to speculate on what the Martells will be like? I'd expect them to focus on debuffing and/or movement, wearing the opponent down (based on the Dornish Wars in-setting, which the Dornish "won" by attrition).

Quote Originally Posted by Hissho View Post
    Do we want to speculate on what the Martells will be like? I'd expect them to focus on debuffing and/or movement, wearing the opponent down (based on the Dornish Wars in-setting, which the Dornish "won" by attrition).
    That's seriously long shot speculation, but i expect light infantry with javelins and spears, then light cavalry with the same sort of weaponry. They'll certainly have bowmen too. Their words is "unbent, unbowed and unbroken", and they did resist to the Targaryens conquest so i expect some form of resilience despite being less equipped, but Dorne changed since that time so...hard to say. I agree that attrition ought to be part of the "flair" of the faction. This might have them toy with "weaken" and "vulnerable" conditions? In any case we have a lot of characters from Doran Martell to the Sand Snakes, obviously passing by the Red Viper...and perhaps even Myrcella Lannister (who knows). The red viper and sand snakes ought to bring an element of "poison" as well, but their challenge might be more to define their troops rather than the attachments, NCUs and commanders.

There sure is material to produce something, the question is, will the game be successful enough to reach Dorne? I sure hope so.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 03-24-2019 at 08:16 AM.

They 'beat' the Targaryens by hiding from them. Basically guerrilla warfare. I'd hope for some irregular deployments - a bit like mounted Blackfish perhaps?

Characters like Oberyn could potentially do something along the lines of; Deadly Poison: 'at the beginning of each round, any units engaged with this unit take 1 wound'.

Also possibly a dervish unit, typical of desert folklore/mythos

I would think the Martells would have light cav plus some heavily armored infantry. They are very closely inspired by the Ottomans.