Back from the dead WIP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back from the dead WIP

Default Back from the dead WIP

Hey, CMON friends, it's been a while. I've been lost to the non-hobby world for the past 6 months. Had to pack up all my things to sell my old place, bought a house and have been doing repairs/renovations, holidays happened, and started a new job. It's all been very stressful. But now I have hobby time again! And with only 2 months 'til Crystal Brush, I have to remember how to paint.

I'm going to put all my focus on 2 entries this year, a bust and a large scale. The bust is from Ares Mythologic and I just started working on the head, base coated the flesh, did the eyes, and started the NMM.

And for the large scale, I'm finally painting that elk rider I've teased in the past WIP thread for about 4 years. I stripped the elk and have primed it, and started building the base, which will of course have water effects.

Well, I would say in all the real world transitions that you haven’t missed a step in painting skill.

That's NMM on the bust? That's really jaw-dropping!

Backand better than ever bud!!!! So awesome to see you in action derek again!!!i get the chills looking at the knights helmet. Being away hasn’t robbed you of your skills. As a matter of fact things seem to look better than every.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bob View Post
    That's NMM on the bust? That's really jaw-dropping!
    agree.
    Even though it's only started and the transitions are still rough, but the light-placement... seriously good. I'd accept it even at this state as finished.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Thanks KB, Bam, glad to be back painting. Bob, it is indeed NMM, and Max is correct, this is still early on. I feel it'll take about 3-4 paint sessions per section of helmet to get it right.

Here's a shot of what the full bust looks like:

yeah, early on, but already better than the best NMM I've ever done.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Nice to see another artist joining back into the forum :-)
    Curious to see how your diorama develops further.

Good to see you back matey
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Yap can only repeat what's already been said but yeah, the NMM looks stunning

-> Reference material !

Thanks everyone! If you get the chance to take Michal Pisarski's NMM class (or Kirill's) take it, super informative.

Here's more work on the visor, one more session should do it, but I'm going to start working on the tunic next because this nmm is a little stressful on the eyes.

Default Super amazing work

Just ridiculous how one can stay away for many months and then upon returning showing some mastery of a super complex technique like he invented it himself.
    Couldnt be prouder !!!!!
    BaM

Wow, just wow! I think I can see my reflection in there!

I'm the same as gorb that helmet is seriously crazy. The highlights and shadow placement is spot on and Its still not done? Cant wait to see it done!

Quote Originally Posted by fluisterwoud View Post
    Thanks everyone! If you get the chance to take Michal Pisarski's NMM class (or Kirill's) take it, super informative.

My first reaction was that you had caught hold of Kirill’s uncanny skill at this. It really is jaw-dropping.

That NMM is looking so good, and shiny, and that at such a large scale, which I feel is even more difficult. Jawdropping.

Greetz,

Gino(2)dope

Great work on the light rflection on the nmm, hope to see there some green from trees and some blue sky with white clouds maybe waiting to see, definitly inspiring work
    Last edited by Arkaan; 01-25-2019 at 03:42 PM.

welcome back

/k
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.