Chronicle of DaBeeb's

Thread: Chronicle of DaBeeb's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chronicle of DaBeeb's

Although I am a bit intimidated by some of the fantastic work I've seen on this site, I figure that everyone starts somewhere; so I might as well join the crowd, and add my work in the mix. My intention is to solicit as much feedback as I can get, as well as, chronicle my own work from where I start, to where I can hopefully get to. A second set of skilled eyes can often point out things that ignorance looks blissfully past.

I've only recently started painting miniatures, received my Dark Imperium set in December, but painting these little guys has provided me a vehicle back into my creative self, long lost since reaching adulthood. I enjoy what I'm doing, and I find a competitive streak in myself, pushing to want to create the experiences of amazement that I feel when looking at the work created by masters of the minis.

Let me preface my presentation of work, with a notion of gratitude towards those that would be willing to share with me some of the knowledge that they have earned through their experiences. Thank you for your time, and thank you for your guidance.
    Name:  IMG_0193.JPG
Views: 559
Size:  120.6 KBName:  IMG_0192.JPG
Views: 546
Size:  134.5 KBName:  IMG_0191.JPG
Views: 546
Size:  127.6 KBName:  IMG_0194.JPG
Views: 543
Size:  120.6 KBName:  IMG_0195.JPG
Views: 543
Size:  109.5 KBName:  IMG_0202.JPG
Views: 550
Size:  189.4 KB
    Marine #3 in the line-up was me messing around with a Biel-Tan shade over the DG Green. Felt that was just a little too green for my taste.
    Marine #1 in the line-up was heavy on layers; my 1st attempt at wet blending. I liked the effect, just felt that it was too dark for the contrast I was after.
    Name:  IMG_0201.JPG
Views: 539
Size:  212.8 KBName:  IMG_0207.JPG
Views: 542
Size:  206.7 KB
    1st attempt at basing, including finally putting my blight haulers on their bases.

Also, 1st attempt at properly lighting and photographing my work...sunshine, 5000k light, and basic background.

Thoughts, guidance, critique? Let me know what you think.

Along with a Typhus and a Blightspawn currently sitting in primer, I've assembled a Reiknar the Grimhailer that I think I'm going to approach with the following color palette:
    Name:  New Project (1).jpg
Views: 486
Size:  366.4 KB
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by DaBeebs; 01-30-2019 at 12:29 AM.

My level of painting is below yours, so I have nothing to suggest re: painting technique. But I wonder if your photography would benefit from (1) having a solid background (larger single piece of paper instead of multiple pieces of printer paper) and (2) indirect natural lighting rather than such stark light and shadows?

Color palette looks amazing!

Good photo advice, Bob!

Loving the colors and I don't see any glaring mistakes, DB. Nurgle can be very forgiving for trying out different recipes and techniques too. They look better when there's some slight variations. Looking good!

On the basing, I'd avoid having your material go too much beyond the base rim to avoid measuring issues in game. Otherwise, they look really good as well!

If I'd had the Internet and sites like this 30+ years ago perhaps my first stuff would have been this good as well!

Dr. Bob, Thank you, and I agree on all points. I 3d printed a backdrop bracket shortly after I snapped these, and intend to go purchase some heavy stock paper this weekend. I have also been eyeballing the light in my house, during the few hours of sun I get to see, looking for the prime spot to get the right amount/angle of light on things.

CBS, Thank you. The nurgle colors, and over-all aesthetic has certainly aided me in my endeavors; mistakes aren't nearly as noticeable as I imagine they would be with a Primaris Marine. I was just eyeballing Foxtail's "break" from the Renegade paint, and drooled on myself. I agree with the basing extending beyond the rim; I truly forgot that gaming was the intended purpose of these things.

The internet has been a huge help with learning what the basic principles are to painting miniatures, however, learning to apply those principles is an entirely different thing. That fact is what has prompted me to enter into this forum, to get feedback and guidance towards learning to competently apply those principles.

Again, Thank you both for taking the time to give me your opinion; I'm finding that this place is rather welcoming to newbies, which only helps get more people involved.

That's the awesome thing about being new, everybody was new once so they know how you feel! I'm continually amazed at the atmosphere of camaraderie on here, even at the level of competition for real cash!
    Good luck on your paint journey, it will be nice to see how you progress! Remember, everyone is at their own stage along the same road, do not compare your work with others, compare your current work with your previous.