Doc Zoff's WIP

Thread: Doc Zoff's WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Doc Zoff's WIP

Despite being a veteran modeller (I remember when Matchbox 1/76 tank kits retailed for 35p... yes, I'm that old!) I've never acheived the level of skill shown by many modellers of far fewer years. I did consider breaking their fingers to level the playing field, but after-school club security has been tightened over the years (I wonder why?) so that's no longer a viable option (plus they've grown up and are tougher than me now - bah!).

Most of my modelling career has been quite isolated, which I think has limited the opportunity to learn from others, and also caused my interest and motivation to frequently waver. It's fine during the initial excitement of a new project, but once a build starts to stretch out, I start to wonder what is the point of another model that at best will sit in a display cabinet for only me to look at, and at worst will be added to my stash of half-finished shame. That isolation and the periods of demotivation have also lead me to stay within my comfort zone and not actively push to develop my skills.

But maybe this new fangled inter-web thingy might help? (kidding here, I sure hope I'm not quite that bad or my systems analyst job might get shakey!) Having lurked CMoN on and off I've been utterly astounded by the quality of the best contributors (and just consider how good they would've been had I not broken their fingers all those years ago) and not much less impressed by the quality of most of the rest. But I've been equally struck by the strong support and community shared between many members.

As my kids (adults now) head off on their own life journeys I find myself with more time on my hands, so maybe now is the time to see whether I can re-engage with the hobby and, with the positive feedback and support of others push myself to find out if I am capable of achieving the standards that I have always aspired to.

I suspect this WIP may end up being rather sporadic, so I ask up-front for any readers to bear with me and show patience and understanding, and I in turn will try to show positive progress and more importantly my gratitude (even if old habits make me yearn for the cracking sound of delicate finger bones).

So first WIP photo...
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics16/img5c58a337dd03e.jpg
    Name:  20181116_140714.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  485.8 KB
    Last edited by Doc Zoff; 02-04-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Addition to above post (still new to the edit interface)...
    Above WIP photo is of a conversion I started a while back after seeing a freeby 'paint your own' My Little Pony on a kids comic. "Ah ha" I said, "You're coming home with me (to be beheaded!). Oops did I say that out loud as well, why are all the children in this shop screaming?"
    (one custodial sentence later...)
    The head is a squishy vinyl which has very soft detail and is impossible to sand or resculpt, but fine for the cartoony style of the head. Other parts are various GW left overs, with merges, legs and tail scratch built from sprue and milliput, then partially base coated in a GW light gray. I've still got the original pastel coloured paints which are doubtless dreadful quality but a good reference pallette for the cutesy look. I'm thinking the head and neck will retain that doe eyed sugary cutesyness, but the pallete will get suddenly darker and dirtier on the corrupted flesh with harsh Frankenstein style transitions (maybe sculpt in some stitch work?). Should the sugary cuteness include the horns and impaled torso? This seems particularly messed up and twisted to me, so I guess that's a 'yes' then .

I can't promise the next photos will be that soon as I'm generally rather slow, plus I've only got a mobile phone camera so have to wait for good natural light (British winter, enough said!).

No cutesy ponies were harmed in the making of this mini!! (Yeah right, like bollux were they!)

Looking at the photo afresh I've just noticed that I've thinned the furthest wing membrane but the closest is still armour plating thick with ugly seam lines, plus I'd intended to add a scorpion sting to the tail... and so it begins!
    Last edited by Doc Zoff; 02-04-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Well, although I'm as fresh to the crowd as you, I say, "Welcome!" I look forward to seeing your interesting concept move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBeebs View Post
    Well, although I'm as fresh to the crowd as you, I say, "Welcome!" I look forward to seeing your interesting concept move forward.
    Hi DaBeebs,
    Thanks for the welcome and a warm "Welcome!" back you to. Also thanks for showing interest, it's already encouraged me to make a start (apologies for the poor quality flash photos)...
    Name:  20190205_072545-1.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  325.1 KB
    I've hacked away some of the 'wool' on the legs (I was trying for a fur texture but ended up with a sheepskin leggins look) to expose some areas of raw flesh, and then thrown on a very quick base of GW Screamer Pink on the flesh to see whether it works (even rougher than I thought looking at these photos). Overall I'm pleased with the results as it adds interest and also thins the legs a bit hence reducing the comic sheepskin look. I might extend the fleshy areas or maybe add some flaps of loose skin hanging off, depends how it looks once I've got some colour on. I've also thinned the wing membranes on the edge of the nearest wing so that they look less like thick sheet metal. Turns out I hadn't done either wing but it's only a five minute job so no biggy. Hacking and shaping dried milliput involved some rough handling and the tail inevitably broke off, but a blob of CA has it back in place. Shouldn't be a problem unless I decide to carve in extra detail (on reviewing the photo I can probably paint it as a deeper wound, yeah right that was always my plan, NOT!). OR, I've mentioned I'm considering adding a scorpion sting which should involve adding material rather than carving, so either way I think the job's a goodun!

Name:  20190205_072627-1.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  333.9 KB
    Also thought I'd add a front view of that cute face, plus the less cute nurgling face burrowing out of it's chest. Hmm, 'it' should probably have a name.. Tony the Pony? It's really corny, but it's out there now so welcome Tony, may you have a long and ('happy' seems inappropriate) interesting undeath! Tony's little friend's face and the surrounding wound has been base coated plus a quick drybrush, again just to see if the sculpt works. I generally brush paint using GW paints greatly thinned with GW Lahmian Medium giving very thin coats, so I don't seem to run into problems with multiple coats building up and obscuring detail, always reassuring to know that if I get it wrong I can just paint it out.
    Last edited by Doc Zoff; 02-05-2019 at 04:28 AM.

Welcome! Off to a great start and an awesome concept! Very entertaining narrative as well. Have you decided on your colors yet? Curious to see the route you take it. Not sure if i should expect rainbows and skittles or death and decay, but eager nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by StephanW0lf View Post
    ...Not sure if i should expect rainbows and skittles or death and decay...
    Hi StephanW0lf (great name... is it a nod to the Hermann Hesse novel?). If possible I'd like to incorporate rainbows and skittles with death and decay but it'll be as much a journey of discovery for me as it will be for you. I think the head has to stay cutesy with the body macabre and befouled for the whole 'innocence corrupted' theme to work, but how that translates into planning a colour palette... not a clue! I saw another WIP with links to colour wheel tutorials so I'll start there....
    And thanks for the encouragement, always appreciated!!

I had moment of inspiration triggered by SW's 'rainbows and skittles' quote. I've decided on my paint scheme but my wi-fi's on the fritz and I keep losing posts, so for now 'to be continued...'
    Last edited by Doc Zoff; 02-05-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Welcome to the forum

very interesting sculpt indeed, not something you usually see...
    The paint work is looking fantastic, some really nice blending across that wing. I’m looking forward to seeing more of the progress

Welcome to the forums.

Ha, awesome Chaos/My little Pony/Unicorn conversion! And the paint you did on the previous wings looks amazing, or hey at least better than most of my stuff.