Rate my airbrush setup

Thread: Rate my airbrush setup

Default Rate my airbrush setup

Hey guys,

I plan on buying an airbrush set and I've already found several threads on here that helped a lot. However the discussions mostly revolved around products available in the US. I'm looking to buy from German shops which limits not airbrushes but compressors somewhat.

I've been (brush) painting miniatures for around 25 years now and I'm aiming for a nice tabletop standard. I plan on starting out with zenithal base coating and glazing larger parts but I want to be equipped to delve deeper into airbrushing.

So here is what I've come up with. I'd like to try to stay around 500 euro for an initial setup.

Brush: Iwata-HP-CS-Eclipse-03mm-7ml
    Plus an additional 0.5mm needle - should I be going for the 7ml version? I won't be painting more than one mini at once but they get as large as the the kingdom death: monster dragon king.
    200 €

Compressor: Revell Kompressor "master class" reviews say it's silent, not too bulky and it performs well, just a bit expensive
    225 €

Hose: no idea, really. The compressor will sit on or under my desk. So 2m length should be fine. Do I get a noticeable performance improvement with shorter hoses?
    Around 20 €

Portable spray booth
    I don't have a room specifically for painting
    Around 80 €

Vallejo cleaner fluid, thinner, black, grey, white specifically for airbrushing

What do you think?

Coming from Australia I’m not totally familiar with any more than a few German retailers but I can give you my ten cents worth which is don’t believe the hype. I have a run of the mill Delta compressor. Have had it for years because I’ve never come across the need to upgrade. I paint all types of figures from fantasy to military to historical pieces. I also paint much larger pieces as well as military armour. The pressure is accurate and able to be finely tuned as well as a compressor three times the price. It’s never failed me.
    I started off with a Delta double action airbrush too. More than served my needs as I was learning. I still have it too more than ten years later but now it’s a workhorse airbrush I use to basecoat or do your average camouflage on armour.

The only difference these days is that I invested in a Badger Krome Renegade because it has an optional ultra fine needle and the usual perks of a higher end airbrush. Sometime though I curse the finer needle as it can clog with paint that has coarser pigments. Plus you have to clean it much more often and it has some small parts my delta doesn’t. It’s not just a Krome problem....it’s the needle size. I can paint extremely fine details more accurately so an expensive airbrush does have its place.

I’m not sure how much airbrushing you have done in the past... your post indicates maybe not a lot. I would avoid the super cheap rubbish ones from usually China but think about getting a slightly cheaper set up to start with. Maybe you won’t like airbrushing. It’s not for everyone. That way you won’t lose so much money.

And remember, there is a saying an artist is only as good as his tools but also an expensive set up won’t give you awesome results unless you have the expertise and practice behind it. Don’t give up and get disheartened too early. It takes a while to get used to things like thinning different paints, using a double action brush and what pressure you need.

Finally, more often than not you can use any thinner but there are becoming more and more paints that you get best results with their own thinner as it’s designed for its properties. It pays to check. It’s not that you can’t use any thinner, you just get better results. Well that’s my ten cents worth. Happy airbrushing.

Hey thanks for the awesome answer!

Yeah I already figured the specialized compressors like the one I listed don't provide a much better/smoother pressure level, but are more quiet and smaller. So I might pay the extra money for that. I'm not too sure however. I see California Tools compressors being recommended a lot, however I can't get my hands on those around here.

As for how much experience I have with airbrushing: absolutely zero.

I might also end up somewhat cheaper with a Wiltec AS196 compressor (145 €) and a H&S Evolution two in one (0.4mm and 0.2mm needles - 150 €)

looks good enough for me.

Compressor may be expensive because of the name, but should work as needed.
    As for the AB: The Eclipse or the Evo are both good. I have an Evo and it's simply wonderful.

For your question about the large cup size: not really needed even for the dragon king. You can just refill the cup as needed.
    Forgot, that it works again.

I agree that the Evolution is a pretty decent airbrush. I’d suggest starting out with the larger sized needle and mastering that first due to the smaller needles being harder to get used to. I’m about to change to a longer Badger specific hose so I’ll let you know about any performance changes. I’d imagine that if there was it would be just a matter of altering the pressure back to what you want. Other than that I couldn’t answer that question. Just make sure you get a hose that isn’t going to kink or twist.
    Your average sized cup should suit your purposes. It’s amazing just how far paint will go.
    When your airbrush arrives there are hundreds of vids on you tube about numerous makes and models. Search for a few on how to break your brush down, thinning paints, pressures and troubleshooting. I found a lot of stuff that stopped me from tearing my hair out in frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    I’m about to change to a longer Badger specific hose so I’ll let you know about any performance changes.
    In theory the pressure should average out a bit, making pulsing less noticable.
    Then again, if your compressor has a tank it won't be noticable, as that help out already in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    When your airbrush arrives there are hundreds of vids on you tube about numerous makes and models. Search for a few on how to break your brush down, thinning paints, pressures and troubleshooting. I found a lot of stuff that stopped me from tearing my hair out in frustration.
    And at the same time be a little critical about them.
    I've seen a few on YT that misinformed the AB users (not the fault of the YT-bers, they were sold the same misinformation and just repeated what they heard).
    Most larger channels should be ok though.
    Forgot, that it works again.