LoS and Wildling Diplomacy questions

Thread: LoS and Wildling Diplomacy questions

Default LoS and Wildling Diplomacy questions

With Wildling Diplomacy: Can your opponent choose to activate their NCU but not claim a zone (thus avoiding taking wounds), or do they have to claim a zone if one is available. Rules seem to imply that they have to claim a zone unless there are none.
    LoS for a charge: The rules state that the attack targets rear/front/flank based on how much of the attacker's tray is in the defender's arc. So attacking from the front you hit the flank if most of your tray is in the defender's flank arc. Does it matter how many models are left in the attacker's tray? We have played it so that if the majority of minis on the tray are in the flank arc, then they can charge the flank - even if the majority of the tray is in the front arc. But the rules only seem to mention the tray so I'm thinking the number of minis left is irrelevant??

You can activate to do nothing so an ncu doesn't have to claim a spot. As you say, the rule say tray and not models.

On LoS:

It is only the tray that matters. The amount and placement of models in that tray does not matter.

I'm also troubled by your line "attacking from the front you hit the flank". If you are attacking from the front, you are in the front. If you are attacking from the flank, you are in the flank. There is no way to be in the front, but in the flank. How you determine if your going to charge the front or the flank is really what the point of this situation is. And that is determined by drawing a LoS line extending from the corner of the unit about to be charge towards the unit about to make the charge. If that line crosses through the tray, then you use the largest portion of the tray divided by that line. (The easy way: there's a little dot right in the center of the tray, which ever side of the line that little dot is on is the larger side)

"Alternatively, a unit may choose to forgo performing any action atall during its activation (though this is seldom beneficial). Once a unithas completed its action (or forgoes its action), its activation ends(place an Activation token on the unit to mark this)."

An NCU only has one action, which is to take a spot on the tactic's board. It is a unit, so it does have a choice to forgo performing said action.

On NCU activation:

Page 22 of the rulebook. "Unlike a Combat Unit, when a Non-Combat Unit is activated, itonly has 1 action available to it: moving onto an empty zone of theTactics Board."

It then goes on to say "In the event that an NCU would activate, but there are noremaining empty zones on the Tactics Board, then that NCUdoes not move onto the Tactics Board, and its activationimmediately ends."

On page 15 it makes reference to combat units forgoing taking action.

I know page 15 sounds as if it could apply to any unit. But page 22 is very explicit that it's only when the tactics board is full.

I would argue that forgoing an action is not an action. Combat Units have 5 actions: Maneuver, March, Retreat, Attack, Charge.

An NCU only has 1 action: move onto an empty zone.

I could just see someone using this argument. As a FF player, I hope you are right Yelraek.

The rules state that a unit may forego its action - but this is under the heading 'Combat Units'. When referring to NCUs it simply states that they have one action only which is to claim a zone unless there are none. My interpretation would be that they have to claim a zone if there is one (and so cannot avoid Wildling Diplomacy). I was listening to the Song podcast and, while it wasn't stated outright, it sounded like if there were only 2 zones left you had to choose one and take the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelraek View Post
    On LoS:

I'm also troubled by your line "attacking from the front you hit the flank". If you are attacking from the front, you are in the front. If you are attacking from the flank, you are in the flank. There is no way to be in the front, but in the flank. How you determine if your going to charge the front or the flank is really what the point of this situation is. And that is determined by drawing a LoS line extending from the corner of the unit about to be charge towards the unit about to make the charge. If that line crosses through the tray, then you use the largest portion of the tray divided by that line. (The easy way: there's a little dot right in the center of the tray, which ever side of the line that little dot is on is the larger side)
    Sorry, I could have phrased that better. I meant attacking from a position forward of the defender (on a diagonal), where the line could cross front or flank. Not directly in front of them. My opponent has been playing it as the number of models in the arc - so most of the tray could be in the front arc but most of the minis are in the flank (not sure where he got this from). Anyway thanks, I could only see the tray mentioned in the rules but wanted to double-check.

Awesome. You had me scared there. You were giving me visions of someone being engaged 50% to the left of someone's front edge with a unit that only had 2 models left in (positioned on the right). They would have more models in the flank of the enemy....

It was a scary vision. Thank you for restoring my faith.

So, it's definitely tray only. But still not sure whether an NCU can skip claiming a zone if one is available.

When an NCU activates, if there is still an empty zone on the tactics board, it cannot forgo its action.