Difference Between The Houses

Thread: Difference Between The Houses

Default Difference Between The Houses

Morning all,

I am new to the game so please go easy My question is, is there some where that breaks down the various houses or factions so I can see which one might be best for my play style? As it stands it might be between Lanister and Stark if me and a buddy split a starter set but I might get the others if one suits me better.

From what I can see, Stark's are good at attacking and Lanisters are good at making units panic.

Many Thanks

Starks play a lot around clever and fast maneuvering on the battlefield. Their main source of damage is attacking, if done right attacking into the flanks of units.

Lannister play around denying your opponent, tankyness and making damage through morale.

Awesome thanks buddy, in any mmo I am normally the tank the Lanister's might be right up my street.

Is there anything one of us may miss out on by splitting a starter set?

There are some components that are only included once, but each player needs:
    Dice (10 are included - can be split)
    Token (can be split - could be a bit few if done so)
    Terrain (can be split - some parts are only there 1 time; for best use all terrain should be there 2 times for each player)
    Rulebook (the latest version is free to download anyway)
    Objective Cards and secret objective Cards (cannot be split, but 2 players only need 1 set)

So all in all: If you two guys play against each other, one start set is absolutely enough. If you play somebody else that has a starter box it's still no problem. The only problem occours if you both play against other players that don't have a starter set and that shoudl be really rare. All army starter sets (free folk and nights watch atm) bring all the needed components. I really don't see how you would run into a problem when charing a single starter set.

Awesome thanks buddy Just nice to know what we might be missing if anything. Shame they don't sell any dice etc separately. Not that it matters too much with the dice but you get what i am saying

You can acutally find the dice sold seperately, but as a gamer I really dont have an issue finding six sided dice to play with.
    Everything else is a shame, but you can watch out on FB or Ebay, because a lot of people buy multiple starter sets and have the gaming stuff twice or more and want to sell it.

Starks are aggressive, and in addition become even more so as they suffer casualties. Many units and generals have bonuses for units on their last ranks. They’re usually able to dish out a lot of damage, having easy access to the vulnerable condition and many tactic cards grant bonus from claiming the combat zone. They’re also highly mobile and benefit from the Manoeuvre zone a lot. If you want to manoeuvre an army that fights well, stands its ground and can go for the extra mile, the starks are great at it. They have medium cavalry that is quite versatile.

Lannisters are often seen as more defensive but I think they’re more devious stalkers, not unlike their sigil: a lion waiting in the bush. How they win is to create the right conditions for success, by being patient and then pounce for the killing blowat the right time. They usually can be given good equipment/abilities for the task, be it armor, weapons or means to undermine an opponent’s morale, but they don’t have generalist troops and most are specialized for one thing. So they’re a toolbox army, one that you can tailor on your desires. They have access to heavy cavalry, which is all about charging.

If factions have a trend in their style, generals will add a specific flair to it. Some simply emphasize the faction’s strength while others will explore a specific theme. There are also “divergeant” generals in each of those two original factions (I would guess that all factions will eventually get one). For the Starks, it’s Howland Reed, who is more of a guerilla fighter, almost akin to a Lannister, while for the Lannisters, it’s the Mountain, who is a far more violent and aggressive than usual.

I’ve done a review of the game on bgg forums if you ever wish to read more about these thoughts.

Edited format
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 02-19-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    Starks areaggressive, and in addition become even more so as they suffer casualties. Manyunits and generals have bonuses for units on their last ranks. They’re usuallyable to dish out a lot of damage, having easy access to the vulnerable conditionand many tactic cards grant bonus from claiming the combat zone. They’re alsohighly mobile and benefit from the Manoeuvre zone a lot. If you want tomanoeuvre an army that fights well, stands its ground and can go for the extramile. They have medium cavalry that is quite versatile.

Lannisters areoften seen as more defensive but I think they’re more devious stalkers, not unliketheir sigil: a lion waiting in the bush. How they win is to create the rightconditions for success, by being patient and then pounce for the killing blowat the right time. They usually can be given good equipment/abilities for thetask, be it armor, weapons or means to undermine an opponent’s morale, but theydon’t have generalist troops and most are specialized for one thing. So they’re a toolbox army, one that you cantailor on your desires. They have access to heavy cavalry, which is all aboutcharging.

If factionshave a trend in their style, generals will add a specific flair to it. Somesimply emphasize the faction’s strength while will explore a specific theme. Thereare also “divergeant” generals in each of those two original factions (I wouldguess that all factions will eventually get one). For the Starks, it’s HowlandReed, who is more of a guerilla fighter, almost akin to a Lannister, while forthe Lannisters, it’s the Mountain, who is a far more violent and aggressivethan usual.

I’ve done areview of the game on bgg forum if you ever wish to read more about these thoughts.
    Awesome thanks for the indepth details there buddy really appreciated.

Sure thing, i've re-edited the post...some formatting went horribly wrong with the text (linking words for some reason).

lannisters are more about trying to win from the victory conditions than straight up combat, from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    I’ve done a review of the game on bgg forums if you ever wish to read more about these thoughts.

Edited format
    @oakwolf Could you please provide us (me ;-) ) a link please?

Quote Originally Posted by nottoday View Post
    @oakwolf Could you please provide us (me ;-) ) a link please?
    It's starting to show it's age but still i think it still applies geneally.

That said, how do we post links? it keeps being flagged as spam and i can't post for 15+ minutes.

Alternatively, google this: bgg forums song of ice and fire reviews

It should take you there.

Last test: https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/2173...-vs-la/reviews
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 06-19-2019 at 08:36 AM.