First Game Report - Lanister

Thread: First Game Report - Lanister

Default First Game Report - Lanister

Hi all,

I thought I would give you a report on my first game I played on Friday having picked up the set on Wednesday. I split the starter set with a buddy and I went Lanister so that's the army I have just now.

The army I set up was:

Tryion and Cersei as my NCU's

I used both commanders Jamie and The Mountain and then the rest of the miniatures having 4 full trays to attack with giving me a 34 point army I think it was.

I was playing against the Nights Watch which was good fun to play, forgive me I don't remember the name of the scenario we played but there was 2 extra corpse piles and when you fail a moral test that unit gains an extra point when destroyed.

The game it's self when really well and I picked it up pretty quick to be fair. The hardest bit was remembering to do everything and picking the right space on the tactics board with the right character. Cersei's double moral test was great with her -2 moral and then the tactic to give an instant test and another -1 to it.

The game was mainly myself learning the ropes but my opponent although didn't pull any punches he also allowed me to correct any mistakes such as taking more cards in my hand with Tyrion. I managed to pull off a nice move where my opponent went to use a tactics card to use Ghost to flank me and I have a card that cancelled that so he couldn't get a full flank on me which was nice.

The game was us locked in battle for most of it and lots of moral tests. The mountains men where the team of the game for me holding there own and then having cards to make crits +5 rather than a +6 which was nice and which gained me 5 points.

The game wrapped up with me loosing, no surprise on my first game and all my units been wiped out however I hung on as long as I could and I also lost with a respectable 5 points to his 9. The unit that the mountains men where locked up with kept failing panic tests so when I finally took them out they where worth a fair amount of points.

I am loving this game and I have ordered the Lanister Heroes which are on the way and I will look at picking up a few others too, just need to get some painting done.

it seems like stark and NW are more powerful than lannister and FF from my games

Quote Originally Posted by AnorexicShark View Post
    it seems like stark and NW are more powerful than lannister and FF from my games
    Yes, and no, in my opinion. Each faction has different strengths, that require being played differently. In most cases anyway. I think that the Starks and NW just lend themselves to having their basic tactics be more intuitive, especially to new players.

New players tend to think in terms of all out attack, which is much easier to do successfully with Stark and NW armies. Most of their units, cards, etc tend to support this without needing too much prep work. Yes, there are additional strategies and whatnot that can be picked up, but on a basic level, much easier to grasp.

Unless youre fielding the right Commander, the Lannister’s and FF play MUCH differently. They require more patience and planning to use effectively. This can be harder to grasp to some players that may not have as much experience with the style of game.

Pulling from other game styles, it’s the same to me as asking which D&D class is better, or what type of Magic: the Gathering deck is best. It’s going to depend on the person playing.

To the OP, I’m glad you enjoyed the game, and look forward to seeing how things go for you in your next report. That heroes box should help give you some more options on the battlefield. I’d also recommend the Knights of Casterly Rock, to give you some power and mobility options for your builds. I also wanted to ask if you knew how many points the other army had, since the 34 you used was not a typical set amount. A few point swing can make a big difference in this game.
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

Quote Originally Posted by AlxRaven View Post
    Yes, and no, in my opinion. Each faction has different strengths, that require being played differently. In most cases anyway. I think that the Starks and NW just lend themselves to having their basic tactics be more intuitive, especially to new players.

New players tend to think in terms of all out attack, which is much easier to do successfully with Stark and NW armies. Most of their units, cards, etc tend to support this without needing too much prep work. Yes, there are additional strategies and whatnot that can be picked up, but on a basic level, much easier to grasp.

Unless youre fielding the right Commander, the Lannister’s and FF play MUCH differently. They require more patience and planning to use effectively. This can be harder to grasp to some players that may not have as much experience with the style of game.

Pulling from other game styles, it’s the same to me as asking which D&D class is better, or what type of Magic: the Gathering deck is best. It’s going to depend on the person playing.

To the OP, I’m glad you enjoyed the game, and look forward to seeing how things go for you in your next report. That heroes box should help give you some more options on the battlefield. I’d also recommend the Knights of Casterly Rock, to give you some power and mobility options for your builds. I also wanted to ask if you knew how many points the other army had, since the 34 you used was not a typical set amount. A few point swing can make a big difference in this game.
    Thanks buddy, I think we both went with 35 and I could either be under over depending on how I played it. We have a tournament coming up at my local store where the point size is 35 (I think). The heroes box just arrived and there are some really nice cards in that. I like the cards that stop the opponent playing certain cards and the extra moral for extra damage or to heal wounds. The Knights are on my radar when I can afford to pick them up however I am conscious that they might go out of stock too.