Hodor Takes the Black

Thread: Hodor Takes the Black

Default Hodor Takes the Black

If Hodor takes the black and has already used his ability does he get to use it again as he is on a different unit with a different player now in control ?

Hodor's ability is "Once per game" not "Once per game per player".

If it's been used it's been used. The Ability doesn't care who controls Hodor, only if it has/hasn't been used already.

And the rules that backs that up is or just your opinion ? Came for an official answer.

His rule says once per game for this unit. In this case this unit is different both times. so I don't agree with your assessment. It is not once per Hodor, it is once per unit he is attached to.

Quote Originally Posted by Toqtamish View Post
    And the rules that backs that up is or just your opinion ? Came for an official answer.
    Ok, well this is a forum for rules talks, not a place to demand official answers. Everything posted here is someone's opinion.

Further, Hodor's ability doesn't say "once per game for this unit" it says:

"Once per game, when this unit is targeted for a charge..."

The comma separates the first item from the rest, it's a qualifier to the second. The ability isn't "Once per game per unit", nor is there any rule on his card or Take the Black that says Abilities "refresh" on the unit. By that same logic if you took an attachment with an expended Order are you saying I can use it again that round?

Okay then I will find a different method. I was referred to here for official answers by the website and the discord.

The game designer does come on here from time to time to post rulings. However, it has not been on much of a consistent schedule. so I would check back periodically, to see if answered.

To be fair, OP, I could see why some people might think he would get to use the ability again. The ability does state “this unit”, and not the attachment specifically. Since he is no longer with the same unit, it’s possilbe it could be ruled that he could use the ability again.

That being said, I think I’d have to side with Alliser on this one. I just don’t think it’s what’s intended. But it is a great topic for discussion!

Unfortunately, we’d have to wait for Michael for an official response, as all we can do is discuss our views.
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

Quote Originally Posted by Toqtamish View Post
    From FAQ 1.3, released today, regarding "Take the Black:"

Q: If I take an Attachment with a “Once per game” effect that has
    already been used, can I use that effect again?
    A: No.

Perfect. Now it is answered officially. Glad I asked.