Back to it! Be brutal. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back to it! Be brutal.

Thanks, the 'ghoul' thing is the Mourngoul.

I think the ghosts turned out pretty nicely as well. Its so satisfying to see the blend and highlights happenening so easily, with a brush I would take 10 times longer and achieve crappy results.

Airbrushing just rocks. Now I just have to find a place to store the whole equipment properly...

Worked on the Blackstone Fortress Robot UR-25, almost finished, need to base him and weather the weapon . Not sure what else to do on this guy. I did zenithal highlights with my new airbrush and went at it with glazes

Name:  IMG_E0194.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  91.0 KB Name:  IMG_E0192.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  89.5 KB Name:  IMG_E0191.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  98.2 KB

Then I started working a my first Death Guard marine, also put the base coats with my airbrush, but I feel the overall colors lack contrast. It even got worse when I added a wash this morning (not pictured) and made it even darker (used agrax) Will need to rethink the whole process and colors... tonight i'll add all the rust and details.

Also had issues with the airbrush 'spitting' my white vallejo primer. I don't understand if the paint is too think, pressure is too high, paint is too thick... just gave me these white speckles on the cloak, but most will be covered by the backpack later.

Name:  IMG_E0196.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  68.9 KB Name:  IMG_E0199.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  72.0 KB Name:  IMG_E0198.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  79.3 KB

And I think I finally got a way to take decent pictures with my phone, just using the spray both and putting a foam insert in the back. Lights are decent I think.

Let me know what you think
    Last edited by alexz3; 04-17-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Also finished basic the spooky boys and took a better pic

Name:  IMG_E0187.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  238.3 KB

Really effective ghosties! Good work

agree the spooky boys look really nice! The DG old armor was a off white color, so you could always add a panel or two of that to change it up some. Might help break up all the green.
    Last edited by ekipage; 04-17-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexz3 View Post
    Will need to rethink the whole process and colors...
    Did you consider using Vallejo chipping medium and oil point washes (small dots of oil paint on the chipped underlying area, dragged down by brush dampened with oil thinner)?

Nope I did not. I washed the whole armor down and started doing the rust parts, but the armor is alot darker now, will try to grab some pics tonight. I'll try with a mush brigther version next and see which one I like best.

The good thing with the oil wash is that you can remove almost all of it from the surface, definitely better for this task than GW wash.
    Furthermore it has lower viscosity than water, more willing to flow into the recesses.

Very nice work. Looking forward to seeing how they look after you're done with the basing.

All your projects are looking good. To me the robot looks like he’s leaning a bit, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    All your projects are looking good. To me the robot looks like he’s leaning a bit, though.
    That must be a result of the wrong type of hydraulic fluid...whiskey does the same thing to me.

Finally decided to try NMM Gold, but only on this Stormcast shoe:

Name:  IMG_E0377.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  257.5 KB Name:  IMG_E0376.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  185.8 KB Name:  IMG_E0391.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  30.2 KB

Only took 10 minutes, I think it was 'easy' because its a small surface with nice pointy edges. Not sure if I can pull it off on the entire model, will have to test for sure though.

I don't have the patience nor the technique to do crazy smooth blends on this stuff.

Testing another color scheme for my Deathguard units:

Name:  IMG_0378.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  742.8 KB Name:  IMG_0379.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  765.0 KB Name:  IMG_0380.JPG
Size:  746.9 KB Name:  IMG_0390.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  13.1 KB

I feel that its lacking colors / contrast / something to make it pop more.

Perhaps copper on the rims instead of the dark silvery gold?

Might paint the remaining green bolter parts purple as he has no cloth to match this dude:

Name:  IMG_E0199.JPG
Size:  72.0 KB Name:  IMG_0385.JPG
Size:  624.5 KB Name:  IMG_0382.JPG
Size:  628.0 KB

What would you do to make the first brighter green dude pop more?

NMM looks very good for first trys!

I don't have the patience nor the technique to do crazy smooth blends on this stuff.
    Not needed necessarily. Most important are contrast and positioning of highlights. When you got that right blends don't have to be super smooth.

Tidiness, seperation. If you wash the whole mini using the same wash you pull all the colors together and create a uniform look. Additionally you dull your colors down. To make elements pop out you need to seperate them form other parts. Very effective ways to do that are darklining and edge highlighting. I wouldn't use a wash for darklining. It's either not strong enough, too blurry or it dulls down the colors if you use too much. Use black and paint the the darklinings to seperate parts.

Same with edge highlighting. Don't higlight the whole contour, concentrate on the points where light hits most.

This way you'll already achieve a much cleaner look and improve the "readability" of the mini a lot.

Another tip: When airbrushing over b/w foundation with airbrush use more layers. On several parts the dotty structure of the foundation is still showing through.

Name:  IMG_0378.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  782.2 KB

Those tips even for myself I found very useful. Great job and looking forward to see more on your guard.

Did a bit of work last night, went with a purple bolter, because why not Also did copper for the trim / shoulder pads areas.

Started working no a reddish martian base to give contrast vs the whole model. Won't feel very nurgly but oh well, the model should do it. What do you think about the blue puss part?

Name:  IMG_E0392.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  1.59 MB Name:  IMG_E0393.JPG
Size:  1.06 MB

Also some progress on the Space Hulk terminators - I still can't do nice whith cloth, even after trying different recipes for 3 years:

Name:  IMG_E0396.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  1.28 MB Name:  IMG_E0399.JPG
Size:  1.19 MB

Testing another color scheme for my Deathguard units:

The blue puss doesn't contrast with the green enough. Going to a red-redbrown would probably help there.
    or if it stays that blue, than the armor should have brown(orange-brown) shadows in the area.

Perhaps copper on the rims instead of the dark silvery gold?
    Copper's red hue helps with the separation of the metal-green armor, but does nothing for the blue parts.
    Instead of copper you could try 1-2 glazes of red (VMC-Red Transparent, GW-Red Glaze)

I'd probably do some desaturated yellow highlights and dark red-brown lines between panels / shades.

Quote Originally Posted by CyAniDe View Post
    I wouldn't use a wash for darklining. It's either not strong enough, too blurry or it dulls down the colors if you use too much.
    only if you stay with acrylic washes. Oils/Enamels are great for this.

What do you think about the blue puss part?
    as before: it hides very well in the green

Also some progress on the Space Hulk terminators - I still can't do nice whith cloth, even after trying different recipes for 3 years:
    colors look ok for a warm-white cloth, but between the dark brown and the while you'd need some transitions of colors (2-3 extra inbetween shades could be enough)

I'm very lazy, so I'd do the white cloth the following way:
    - basecoat with an off-white (VMC-Pale Sand or VMC-Ivory is nice for this)
    - wash with a yellow-brown (AP-SoftTone or eq from other brands)
    - layer basecoat again, but on raised / top area (depending on if you do global or zenithal light)
    - wash again
    - basecoat again
    - either edge with white on the most prominent fold or do a layer with white. If you do the white layer it should cover about 50% of the area to read white,less if you want a dirtier/linen color.
    Last edited by MAXXxxx; 05-17-2019 at 06:05 AM.
    Forgot, that it works again.

im really digging the nurgle guys. great attention to detail! pappa nurgle is pleased!

tee