Ride-By-Attack - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ride-By-Attack

I have only read the rules and never played the game but reading page 15 it says 1) activate 2) choose action or forgo action.
    i can see some people arguing over what “as it’s action” means but to me that means replace.

What at exactly do you mean by “that’s not how the game works”?

In my opinion the card itself is quite clear English, it says "As its action, that unit may pivot...".
    It does not say (e.g.) "Instead of its action, that unit [now immediately still during this activation phase] pivots..."

So I don't really see this "This card changes how the turn goes as a whole" -argument.

It only changes action part of a turn, everything else in a turn remains as they are (like the activation).

This card itself must be played in trigger "When a friendly Cavalry unit activates". Which is same, or close to same trigger as Cavalry's Free Maneuver ability is. That is the real question, due to rule book rule of "Only one voluntary action on same trigger".

I agree with fronx about the triggers.
    Both the card and the unit have the same activation .
    So you have to use one of them , not both.

As the rule book says.
    You activated the unit
    Then choose an action.
    The card triggers after activation and it gives you a new action option (which you choose obviously because you played the card)
    The thing is if you allow card triggers and voluntary triggers to activate at the same time then This makes me think of another cards like cunning ploy (tyrion Lannister)
    Where you can potentially cunning ploy on a cavalry then you can do the free maneuver and instead of doing an action another unit that already activated can do an action!

But I do believe that the triggers shouldn't stack (voluntary or mandatory)

But then! Does that mean that if you use the high sparrow
    Wrath of the warrior on a cavalry...
    That cavalry can't do a free maneuver after it healed?

I just confused myself...

Perhaps we can trigger both?

You just made me question all of these cards....

For instance what about tactical regroup from Robb stark?!
    If you have a cavalry engaged, does that mean they can do a retreat action, then a free maneuver then a charge?

This question isn't just about ride-by attack...

Actually I do not agree with fronx anymore... the more I think about it the more it makes sense that innate triggers shouldn’t be effected by normal event triggers.
    so back to the op question I would say that you can do a free maneuver then do the action.
    If we want to be consistent with the rest of the cards. Or for all the other cards free maneuver get canceled .

Quote Originally Posted by Purple hyena View Post
    Actually I do not agree with fronx anymore... the more I think about it the more it makes sense that innate triggers shouldn’t be effected by normal event triggers.
    so back to the op question I would say that you can do a free maneuver then do the action.
    If we want to be consistent with the rest of the cards. Or for all the other cards free maneuver get canceled .
    This is option, yes. But there is no RAW evidence for this interpretation (without FAQ / errata -entry), so without official ruling stating this option, this is not a real option (until that happens).

Definitely, I'm glad this was posted, never thought about it , never considered it.

The free manuver is not part of the action so may be completed before using Ride By. It's only the charge action that is being replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by hithero View Post
    The free manuver is not part of the action so may be completed before using Ride By. It's only the charge action that is being replaced.
    If you read the whole post through, (one of the) issue(s) is the trigger of the said Free Maneuver being shared with the Ride-By Attack Tactic Card trigger. As/If both are voluntary, only one can be triggered (by RAW).

So while your comment answers one of the discussed topics in this whole topic, it does not provide answer to all (or most) issues / questions still open on this matter.

A clarification here would be very important. The Free-Cavalry-Movement-"Trigger" prevents eventually so many other effect, that this specific rule has to be clarified before each Game.

I can not imagine that it is intended to be a voluntary effect, but by RAW it is (edit: maybe).
    Last edited by Nikolaj; 04-21-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Questions about the free cavalry movement come up over and over again ... A clarification if it is a voluntary effect would be nice.

AND if the answer is yes, is its trigger "Start of Activation" the same as moment as "When a unit activates" (so ride-by-attack and other tactic-cards cancels the free maneuver)?