Differences in techniques with Scale75?

Thread: Differences in techniques with Scale75?

Question Differences in techniques with Scale75?

I'm a very, very long-time painter (since about 1984), though I did take about 15 years off from about 2003 - 2018. During that time a LOT of new brands made it to my area, and though a former Citadel devotee (before this "dry", "layer", "base" nonsense) I now worship at the altar of Vallejo. However, with exposure to new (to me) techniques and new (to me) brands, I have decided to expand my paint library. I have heard a lot of good things about Scale 75 paints, but also warnings that they don't behave like most other paints.

So... Assuming a moderate level of skill with years of experience, what sort of changes to my technique(s) should I expect with Scale 75 paints? Are they great for glazes and washes but horrible for drybrushing? Do they not mix well with other brands because of the gel medium? Do I have to get a different brand of medium than my beloved Golden Matte Medium? Does Distilled Water work well for thinning alone, or do I need a bit of flow aid? Should I set up a separate wet palette for them with a few additives to the distilled water in the sponge?

I hope to hear back soon... heading out to a local Con tomorrow, and there's lots of merchants there that might have Scale 75.

And, yes, I know their dropper bottles are sealed, and have a thumbtack at the ready.

They handle exactly like other paints, play well with other manufacturers too.
    Dry VERY MATTE, is the greatest difference.

BUT......you need to shake the blazes outta the bottle to mix them otherwise you end up with the carrier fluid coming out not the paint.
    Yes..I have that T shirt.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

imho there is a little bit of variation compared to vallejo/gw paints.
    And that is that it has less binder/medium than those. Because of that there is a minimal variation to those, but easily adaptable and I think the difference makes them better then the vallejo paints.

Are they great for glazes and washes but horrible for drybrushing?
    Great for all.

Do they not mix well with other brands because of the gel medium?
    Nope mix like any other Acryl paint

Do I have to get a different brand of medium than my beloved Golden Matte Medium?
    never tried the GA Matte Medium, but probably works with it. But the Scale775 paints are matt enough, so you may need the medium only for thinning, not for the matt effect (isn't true on the scale-fantasy range as they are a bit satin, so there the matt medium makes it a bit more matt)

Does Distilled Water work well for thinning alone, or do I need a bit of flow aid?
    water works.

Should I set up a separate wet palette for them with a few additives to the distilled water in the sponge?
    nope, regular palette is enough.

as DR wrote: shake them as there is no tomorrow. They are heavily pigmentet, which means it easily separates to pigment and carrier and there is a high chance that at the beginning you 'paint' only with the binding agent which makes bad results and you think the paint itself is bad.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Thanks, MAXXxxx and Dragonsreach. And Max, I use the Matte Medium in fractions with distilled water and flow improver for glazes and washes, not to make it matte. Think of it more like Lahmian Medium, but not as expensive.

Noob chiming in here...bought scale color range last month; I love these paints. Vallejo was good for basing and some blending. GW has the washes/technicals I have enjoyed using. Recently started experimenting with glazing, and have noted a drastic difference on how far I can thin the scale color vs the others. Love the matte surface. For me, and merely my opinion, the different behavior of the paint is a plus; learning how to use these higher end paints as a beginner should have benefit as my ability improves. So to recap, I base and somewhat layer with Vallejo and GW, and use scale for glazing or certain highlighting.

Valandar: that's why I wrote "so you may need the medium only for thinning"

Since I bought the Scale75 paints both Scalecolour, fantasy and the War paint range they make (not too sure of its exact name) I have found a product that cuts down on problems with the paint separating on a palette. I cut down on the water I use slightly and augment that with a few sprays from the Liquitex wet palette hydrating spray. Have used it on both wet and dry pallets....just have to use less when on dry.
    No problems glazing, feathering or wet blending. I don’t notice much difference from the way my Vallejo paints behave other than the Scalecolour is more matte than Modelcolour. The fantasy range is more satin but less so than the Vallejo Game Colour. In this instance I find mixing Scale 75 paints with other brands difficult if there is a marked difference in shine. I know I can matte coat it all later but I find it awful to look at before I do.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    as DR wrote: shake them as if there is no tomorrow.
    My dad had a mixing trick for old tinlets of Humbrol enamel paint that had settled... he asked us kids to put the tinlets in our pockets before we went out to kick our football around the local park. So if considering Scale75 just get yourself a couple of kids to shake the paint for you. Actually having experienced 21 years of parenthood since then... stick with Vallejo!!

Okay. So what about Warcolor? Are they pretty much standard paint types, or do I need to keep other aspects in mind if using them?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Zoff View Post
    ... stick with Vallejo!!
    change, it's worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Valandar View Post
    Okay. So what about Warcolor? Are they pretty much standard paint types, or do I need to keep other aspects in mind if using them?
    pretty much a nice standard acryl. There are some nice colors in there though that are not available in other brands (like some of the colored metallics).

To be honest that's the way I buy my paints: whenever I see a shade that I like and will probably use in a future project I buy it. I'm not buying complete sets/ranges, just colors I like, that are useful and that would be hard to mix from colors I already have.

If I remember correctly, the Warcolors are gel based medium, but they are pretty easy to work with and mix well with other brands. And they do have a nice large range of colors. I found that after I learned to shake the bejeezus out of the Scale75 and then shake it some more they are really nice to work with

A while ago I bought a nail varnish shaker. (£22.0)
    Easy little gizmo to use, strap in the paint hit the button and off she wanders across the desk.
    For some Scale 75’s (Rain Grey) you need about 5 minutes of shaking to get a good mix, others 20-30 seconds.

Worth considering.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.