1:12 scale model heads - help needed

Thread: 1:12 scale model heads - help needed

Default 1:12 scale model heads - help needed

Hi guys and gals.

So I've embarked on another project to convert the old Forge World large scale Space marine figure, and one of the things that I want to do is a Marneus Calgar figure - pre -primaris upgrade- without helmet. Thing is is used to have some 1:12 scale model heads but none of them are suitable for the 'Marneus' look and my searches on the internet are not coming up with any options that i can use.

Does anyone know where I can buy 1:12 scale model heads or at least one that would be along the lines of Marneus?
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

not really. Best would be if you could sculpt it yourself.

Where I'd look: el greco miniatures, but even they are mostly good to find a historical 1/12 figure or bust that you could use as a base for sculpting on details.
    Mostly in the historical roman/greek figures. The caveat is that most of them are 1/10, not 1/12. But UM-s have a big head anyway

Or you could look around for a passable head on shapeways, yeggi or some similar 3d printing site.

some examples that may be usable as a base (cmon doesn't let me add links):
    Fer miniatures - chieftain
    Heroes-Villains - Male Anatomical Bust
    Nuts Planet - Julius Caesar
    Nuts Planet - Lord of the Lion
    Young Miniatures - Roman General
    Young Miniatures - Templar Knight
    Forgot, that it works again.

Hi Maxx. Unfortunately my sculpting skills do not extend to being able to sculpt decent looking heads. The selection of examples you have given are indeed very good and would work well for Marneus .....just not sure I want to spend £45 on just a head. Mind you if no one else has any suggestions then I might not have much choice.
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

Urm, isn’t G.I. Joe 1/12th scale?
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

... well a bit better in price but you have to fight with your morals, but most of those busts are available from recasters (ebay or other sites) too for around 20gbp.

... one more option would be commissioning someone with sculpting a head and then 3d printing it. It would be great for size and look, but would cost at least 150-200 for the sculpt and then another 100 for a good print.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Urm, isn’t G.I. Joe 1/12th scale?
    I think G.I. Joe was 1/6th scale

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    I think G.I. Joe was 1/6th scale
    Generally - yes they were, but there were some 6" figures made, but they are rather thin on the ground. However there are a number of 6" action figures on Ebay from various manufacturers so I may well have to trawl my way through to see if anything suitable is available at a reasonable price. I'm not fussed if they are 'soft heads' as I am planning on doing some casting anyway so one extra piece is no biggy.

@Maxx - Not interested in buying from recasters. I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into sculpting and I would want to support them when my budget allows. The 3D printing is an interesting idea, and one to remember when I win the Euromillions and can spend with free abandon. But a bit too much for this moment in time.

Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully I can find something that'll work within my budget.