New to CMoN and looking to discuss some work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to CMoN and looking to discuss some work.

Question New to CMoN and looking to discuss some work.

Hello all.

So I'm now to CMoN and I really wanted to jump in with both feet. I've already learned a lot as a lurker. I'm trying to get better with my pictures, and I wish I still had as steady hands as I did 20 years ago when I first got into painting minis. Anyway onto my first question. I painted this and posted it without any sort of size reference, and I'm kinda wondering if you feel size ref is relevant or not? I've found that my pics might actually be too close up? and the fact that I need to really refine my painting technique(thinner paint, finer brushes) I'm also looking for how you all feel about the water based paints. I've always used testors, and I use it too thick I realize now(It's amazing what a closeup pic reveals)SO that all being said Thanks for any comments and I look forward to being part of the community.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Size references do help, not necessarily coins but with smaller scale vehicles a ruler does help people.
    Thinner coats do help as does weathering techniques and for really small miniatures increased contrast helps with the visual definition.
    (somehow increased contrast improves our psychological comprehension when viewing smaller figures.)

And I agree older eyes and hands aren't always conducive to model painting.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I'll get out one of my old school rules for the future thank you. Now when you reference contrast are you speaking of paint selection, or photography selection?

Welcome, Soldier!
    Great starting point. Although I'm new to this hobby, I've found everyone here to be really helpful, really talented, and really engaged in the hobby.

Here's a resource that may lead you in a direction towards your personal goals....http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/

Once you've looked that over, I really advocate watching some of the AK Interactive videos on YouTube...They manufacture some really awesome supplies for weathering, etc.

Thanks for the heads up, and the advice. I really appreciate it.

Nice job for something so small. Regarding weathering Secret Weapons Miniatures has some really good weathering powders as well.

That's something I've been working on. I asked on another thread but have any of you worked with copper weathering? I've got a copper Dragon I've been trying to work with but it's just not right. I think I'm going to end up stripping it and starting over.

Haven't really messed with copper yet, but I know that GW has Nilihax Oxide (or something like that) to give that verdigris look to metal, especially copper. But you could also use a light turquoise blue thinned out to get it as well, I know Reaper makes one as part of their NMM set (09304 NMM: Copper Verdigris) and they have a tarnished copper that might be useful. I am sure some of the other brands have something similar but I don't know what they are off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by MrNoNameSoldier1977 View Post
    That's something I've been working on. I asked on another thread but have any of you worked with copper weathering? I've got a copper Dragon I've been trying to work with but it's just not right. I think I'm going to end up stripping it and starting over.
    Vallejo do a Verdigris paint in their Model colour range, it’s quite effective.
    But I’ve ended up with some lengths of old copper piping from where I work as a caretaker and they have areas which are dark like Burnt Umber as well as where something ‘unpleasant’ has come into contact where it’s a kind of Purple Black.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

Funny thing I'm in Construction. The while inspiration for the copper is 15 years ago I did some beach front condos and strung all the copper line sets for the HVAC system up all seven stories before it was all closed in. Over night the side facing the ocean corroded to that perfect turquoise green. It's kinda funny how many people I've been noticing that do this that are also in maintenance or construction. Anyway I've been looking at the Vallejo paints, you prefer them over the others out there?

Vallejo have a more consistent colour range than Citadel, (plus they don’t change the blasted names every five minutes) but recently I’ve been using Scale 75 which I’m finding to be a great paint and a complement to the 2,639 colours I’ve accumulated.
    , and proud of it.

What do you think of the reaper paints? Have you tried them yet?

Reaper isn't bad. There are some colors I like in their range much better than others (for the consistency, pigmentation, etc) but I have found that in most brands I have purchased. Biggest plus for Reaper is that they are a little cheaper than most other brands especially here in the US. Reaper doesn't change their name quite as often as GW does, but they do phase out colors that don't sell (and sometimes I think they just want new colors so remove some to make room)

What do you think of the reaper paints? Have you tried them yet?
    Yes I was gifted a set a while ago. They are like any other paint we use, very helpful in the triad groups are well.
    , and proud of it.

Default Another current project

This is one of my current projects, Lord Ironraven from Reaper. I had painted one years ago and he was one of the ones I got so I could try again. Obviously still a ways to go. I'm pretty happy with the color scheme, although the red does need to be toned down some I think, and obviously a base still needs to be attended to. BTW it's attached to some of the foam that comes in a MK19 Grenade ammo can. I was at the range and it just seemed like it would work pretty well. I have to admit, I wasn't wrong on that one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MrNoNameSoldier1977; 03-25-2019 at 05:20 PM.

So I'm noticing a trend here, there are almost NO Iron wind metals on this site. I mean all of last year and the year before only had 1 model posted for each year. I'm guessing people aren't big fans of there models here? I've been a mech head since way back in the 80's when I watched Robotech, and got into Battletech shortly there after. Anyway just an observation. Any thoughts?
    "Yes I really am a soldier"

"Then why do you suck at this game so much?"

"Because in real life when I shoot at you, you don't jump around like a F@%*$*# rabbit!"

I had never heard of them so that would be my excuse! Will have to take a look through their catalog now though.

Outside of 3D printing they seem to be the only game in town for making new Battletech mini's. I used to get them from my local shop(20 years ago) Turns out that shop closed(10 years ago) and I don't live anywhere near it anyway. Anyone know of any shops in Atlanta that have a decent selection of mini's? Seems almost all game shops only have space for cards and funko pop crap(sorry never got into that collectable stuff)

"Because in real life when I shoot at you, you don't jump around like a F@%*$*# rabbit!"

So I'm noticing a trend here, there are almost NO Iron wind metals on this site. I mean all of last year and the year before only had 1 model posted for each year. I'm guessing people aren't big fans of there models here? I've been a mech head since way back in the 80's when I watched Robotech, and got into Battletech shortly there after. Anyway just an observation. Any thoughts?
    Few people realise that they are a ‘re-incarnation’ of Ral-Partha miniatures, which had their heyday 20 years ago along with Dragon and Dungeon magazines (Bleeding miss them.) Plus they don’t have a very high ‘profile’ in the business, which is such a shame.

Iron Wind still have some of my favourite Wyrms, T’Char bring one of the 60+ in my collection.
    , and proud of it.

I still have some of those old Dungeon, and Dragon Mags. I keep them in my gaming trunk with my old ADnD books. It's funny because all of the resources we used to get from them are so easily accessible online now. The only way you could get Ral-Partha was either through the mail with there catalog or finding a game store that actually carried them! I'm glad I'm not the only geezer left around that remembers them . They have done a lot with that old line, and they are doing a good job updating the Battletech line with the new models from all the video games that have come out lately. I think part of there problem is there website is a little dated which I think might turn some people off to there line. Anyway I've got a hand full of Dragons I'm going to have to get some pics of and upload them so you can give me some pointers. I've got one in particular, a silver, that I want to do some reworking of.