savage giants
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: savage giants

  1. #1

    Default savage giants

    hi got a question for the giants


    if a got commander tormond and the giant get +2 dice for the successfull charge. i roll 3 attack dice. when i do get 3 hits do i get 3 d3+1 wound on the enemy ????

    seems preety hard and sounds to good to be true

    thx for helping

  2. #2

    Default

    You're right, it would be far too good to be true

    In fact you only trigger the giant's rule once.

    That's because the rule for the giant's Mighty Swing is "if this attack generates any hits" so it doesn't matter if you hit once or more.

    The only thing +2 dice does is increase the odds of the attack to score a hit for Mighty Swing to trigger.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 03-30-2019 at 01:56 PM.

  3. #3

    Default

    My brain is hurting from this issue that came up today: how does the Tully sworn shields rule ‘block D3 hits’ interact with giants’ attacks? Sorry if I’m being stupid or if it’s already been answered.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rkesterton View Post
    My brain is hurting from this issue that came up today: how does the Tully sworn shields rule ‘block D3 hits’ interact with giants’ attacks? Sorry if I’m being stupid or if it’s already been answered.
    The giant's attack ability will trigger as soon as it scores a hit.

    The Tully Sworn shields ability would also trigger, but in this case it is futile: blocking a hit doesn't prevent the hit from being scored, it only prevent the hit to proceed to the next steps ( defense saves and then wounds)

    The giant's mighty strike bypass that because it triggers automatically if you score a hit.

    Mind you, if the giant was affected by a "cancel all abilities for this unit" effect, they'd loose their special rule and then the single hit could effectively be blocked by tully's Sworn shields. This makes giants especially vulnerable to this kind of effect.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    The giant's attack ability will trigger as soon as it scores a hit.

    The Tully Sworn shields ability would also trigger, but in this case it is futile: blocking a hit doesn't prevent the hit from being scored, it only prevent the hit to proceed to the next steps ( defense saves and then wounds)

    The giant's mighty strike bypass that because it triggers automatically if you score a hit.

    Mind you, if the giant was affected by a "cancel all abilities for this unit" effect, they'd loose their special rule and then the single hit could effectively be blocked by tully's Sworn shields. This makes giants especially vulnerable to this kind of effect.
    Thank you for the answer. This makes sense. Now I need to find a stark card that cancels abilities.

  6. #6

    Default

    So the giant causes wounds and not hits that canbe blocked, just to be sure.... for us there is a distinction between hits and wounds, wounds are unsavable

  7. #7

    Default

    Any hits (no matter how many) from the giant's attack ability will trigger its effect, causing direct wounds thus cannot be blocked by defense saves. I believe Joffrey Baratheon, First of his name, has the only card which can prevent straight wounds at the moment.

    Mind you, nothing prevents you from rolling saves for triggers either (like riposte), but it won't prevent the Mighty strike from occurring.

  8. #8

    Default

    Played against a Free Fold 50 pojnt army last night with 5 Giants in... Geez.. was that Hard, playing Baratheon and just managed to kill two Giants bfore my army was completely desimated, is it me or are Ginats Broken, I understand the Auto Wounds with a D3, but to add on Wounds suffered by the Giants to that value as auto Wounds seems completely imbalanced, couple that with only 1 wound for every two misses for a Giant, and that makes them incredibly hard to kill off..

    My opponent was making excellent use of his Tactics cards too bossting them to be even nastier than they were...

    Surely they need a Tweak... what's your thoughts?

  9. #9

    Default

    You'll find people who will curse that giants are not strong enough. Alot of people will state that a good bet is to not attack it until you can kill it. I haven't found this to be viable all the time. But yeah, if you put 2-3 wounds on them they will start kicking butts in a major way. My personal opinion, they're pretty fine for what they are, especially in the free folk faction.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    You'll find people who will curse that giants are not strong enough. Alot of people will state that a good bet is to not attack it until you can kill it. I haven't found this to be viable all the time. But yeah, if you put 2-3 wounds on them they will start kicking butts in a major way. My personal opinion, they're pretty fine for what they are, especially in the free folk faction.
    With 5 Giants fielded, they are a bit hard to ignore and run away from..

    Managed to Kill one with a sustained Flayed Man Cavalray assault, and another with Wardens using a Tactics card Last Stand, getting full attacks when the Unit is destroyed..

    Other than those listed, it was a complete white wash...

  11. #11

    Default

    ^Well Free Folk has no cavalry to speak of and no access to mercenaries. So Giants are their unique unit. Maybe this was just a poor match up against your Baratheon army where 5 Giants would have trouble up against a different army.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    The giant's attack ability will trigger as soon as it scores a hit.

    The Tully Sworn shields ability would also trigger, but in this case it is futile: blocking a hit doesn't prevent the hit from being scored, it only prevent the hit to proceed to the next steps ( defense saves and then wounds)

    The giant's mighty strike bypass that because it triggers automatically if you score a hit.

    Mind you, if the giant was affected by a "cancel all abilities for this unit" effect, they'd loose their special rule and then the single hit could effectively be blocked by tully's Sworn shields. This makes giants especially vulnerable to this kind of effect.
    Hi Oakwolf, is there an official CMON response to guarantee that this is the case. I have a player in my group that believes that the Swornshields do block the 1 hit from the Giant before the ability takes effect.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sacrilege83 View Post
    Hi Oakwolf, is there an official CMON response to guarantee that this is the case. I have a player in my group that believes that the Swornshields do block the 1 hit from the Giant before the ability takes effect.
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ious-questions

    Shinall answers it here - Mighty Swing cannot be blocked by effects that block hits.

  14. #14

    Default

    Thanks for that because that is one tricky situation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->