dgelon - Getting back into things WIP

Thread: dgelon - Getting back into things WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default dgelon - Getting back into things WIP

Long time lurker and long time painter.

I've been painting minis for years, always following the same pattern. I'll paint alot. My skills will get decent (very competent tabletop level but far from brilliant) and I'll stop painting for years and start back up again. I always seem to hit a wall and stop and I always paint in a vacuum, seldomly sharing my minis. I'd like to stop that and become a better painter so I'm starting up again and starting a thread where I'm going to post some works in progress. Hopefully this will keep me going and I am looking for C&C. I'm starting this thread with a troll I did a while ago and one of the Dungeon and Doggies kickstarter minis I did for the facebook contest.

Name:  Troll.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  1.30 MB

Name:  Sebation1.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  223.3 KB

Name:  Sebation2.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  235.1 KB

Name:  Sebation3.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  228.9 KB

Name:  Sebation4.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  211.2 KB

Welcome and nice painting. For the Troll, I would maybe recommend a flesh tone on its arms, stomach and chest instead of just the stark white (maybe have it more flesh tone fading to white in the center of those spots) but it still looks good to me.
    The Dungeons and Dogs figure looks really good, maybe dirty up the paws towards the bottoms a little as the white seems too clean to me on its' paws

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Welcome and nice painting. For the Troll, I would maybe recommend a flesh tone on its arms, stomach and chest instead of just the stark white (maybe have it more flesh tone fading to white in the center of those spots) but it still looks good to me.
    Thank you. On the troll I was using a baby frog picture for the color reference and it was that cool white in the reference but I totally agree that it feels "off". I have a different troll that I'm adding to my queue now that I'll be using the same colors but I'm going to try an intermediate flesh color between the green and the white - I'm looking forward to trying this.

Next on the bench are these 2 Protectrons from Mophidius' Fallout game. I'm just starting to base coat. I want the finals to have chips and distressing - I haven't done alot of scifi minis and I've done no distressing. If anyone out there has some advice or can point me to some good tutorials on metal distressing I would be grateful.

Name:  protectronWip.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  175.9 KB
    Last edited by dgelon; 04-25-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Welcome! Probably the easiest way to start chipping, and I think it would work well on those figures, would be to use a piece of foam from a blister pack and judiciously use it to dab on some dark brown paint. You can add some more orange-y tones inside of that if you like to give it some more life. As far as other weathering, you can get good results with standard washes, putting them selectively at the top or bottom and pulling a little out into the open areas. Streaks look nice. You can, of course, use other products, too.
    I like the dog, by the way.

Welcome to the forum. You are off to a great start with your current tabletop skill.