dgelon - Getting back into things WIP - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dgelon - Getting back into things WIP

The 4th of the 7 Universal Monsters is done. Here is the Bride of Frankenstein. Whites are hard to paint, I feel I was a little whimpy in my contrast and I was having problems with smooth transitions. I feel they were a little too watered down and were causing that drying line on the edges. With a little less water they felt too dark - thoughts?

Name:  Bride front.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  192.3 KB
    Name:  Bride back.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  194.2 KB

Here's the base coat for the Wolfman. Both the bride and the wolfman feel real plain and of the 7 are my least favorite of the sculpts. I want to get him out of the way so I can work on the last 2 moneters (the Invisible Man and the Creature of the Black lagoon) which are my favorite sculpts. Should have a progress or finished shot soon.
    Name:  wolfman basecoat.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  155.3 KB

Wolfie is done. Not the best of paint jobs but painted is much better than plain plastic staring at me. The mini was sadly plain and inexpressive and I did my best for what I was working with. I've got the Invisible Man and Creature of the Black lagoon left, the 2 minis of the set I was looking forward to painting the most I hope they come out well.

Name:  Wolfman front.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  223.3 KBName:  wolfman back.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  161.4 KB

I think you did a good job on Wolfy there. Maybe add something to his nails besides straight black though and it looks like you missed a tiny little spot on his left foot between the middle toes as there is a dot of white showing.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    I think you did a good job on Wolfy there. Maybe add something to his nails besides straight black though and it looks like you missed a tiny little spot on his left foot between the middle toes as there is a dot of white showing.
    Thanks ekipage. That tiny spot was missed - fixed now. The toenails are tiny, beyond my skills to try a gradiant, I put a light grey dot on them almost white as a specular highlight but it looked wrong and I painted black back on top. Any suggestions on what I can try?

I probably would have painted them an ivory or light tan color and then tried adding some black or dark brown glaze pulled to the tip of the nail to make it look darker and keeping the lighter color at the back end. (ahem, let me caveat this by saying "I would have tried, not necessarily succeeded")

I gave it a shot and failed, except for the big toe the other toe nails are smaller than the dots I painted for the pupils. There was no way I was getting a blend, I just didn't have the control at that size.

Hey at least you gave it a shot! Nothing to feel bad about with that, with more experience you will be able to do accomplish it.

Invisible man done, just the creature left.
    Name:  invisible man.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  216.1 KB

great job on the Invisible Man about the only thing I would critique is maybe try to get the lines on the PJ's spaced a little better, but that is quibbling over small stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    great job on the Invisible Man about the only thing I would critique is maybe try to get the lines on the PJ's spaced a little better, but that is quibbling over small stuff.
    Thank you and please keep quibbling. When I got to those pants lines I debated whether or not to cut the robe off so I could paint them straighter and decided not to and instead tried the lines with the base and the robe still attached. I'm a bit disappointed in their cleanliness and spacing. So when I hear comments like this it just re-affirms that I should have followed my gut and sliced the robe off for better access. Keep those comments coming - hopefully its making me a better painter.

You shouldn't have had to slice up the robe. Something that will help with the lines (if you didn't do it already) is mix in some ink with your paint, it will make it flow better. I can recommend Daler Rowney FW inks, but you would want acrylic based art ones, not the inks for fountain pens. Pick up a white, black, red, blue and yellow. You will be amazed at the thin lines you can get with them.

forgot you could use the Army Painter inks or Scale 75 if you have them (but I don't think those two have white that I recall) and just use like a 50/50 mix of ink/paint and dab the brush or test on finger

These are really cool sculpts, dgelon! I painted some board game minis a couple of years ago and found the quality to usually be lower than Games Workshop but you're painting these sculpts so well that I'm convinced these must be of a fairly high quality. What board game are they for? I also recognized these characters instantly from playing pinball and there being a couple of old tables that feature the characters! I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of these old-timey monsters turn out!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuribo View Post
    I painted some board game minis a couple of years ago and found the quality to usually be lower than Games Workshop but you're painting these sculpts so well that I'm convinced these must be of a fairly high quality. What board game are they for?
    Thank you Kuribo. The game is called Horrified, its by Ravensburger and you can pick it up in Target. The minis do have decent details but they are not GW quality. I do like them more than let's say the Dark Souls board game's minis in terms of detail but they are nowhere near they quality of the CMOM minis (Blood Rage, Rising Sun, Zombicide, Game of Thrones). The game is super fun and worth playing on its own plus there are only 7 minis in it so for me it means that I might actually paint the whole game. Here is the caveat - they are molded in really cheap plastic, think of crappy army men. The plastic makes the seams super hard to scrape off, they tend to rip/pull off and have to be carefully cut off instead. The hands are also super weak due to the mold lines being heavy there and the molds ever so slightly off.